Ready Player One

It was empty calories, but as empty calories go it was pretty entertaining. It's certainly a lot more dynamic than the book. Ben Mendelsohn is always fun hamming it up as a bad guy and I loved the
Shining bit and the Chucky F-bomb

I do note they omitted the bit in the book about
Aech being a lesbian
, I wonder if the studio insisted on that?

I've read the book too, and the film made some major changes and omitted some of the best parts about the book (I guess in favour of creating something more family friendly). It did, however, also add some brilliant scenes (like the Shining scene).

I didn't mind the popular culture references which they decided to add because, let's face it, more people are going to understand references to Halo, Overwatch, Jurassic Park, etc, than any obscure 80s game which had to be typed in. Those changes were sensible.

Removing most of the competitive side of the egg hunt, though? That was strange. Removing the fact that many of the children and teenagers are actually attending schools on the Oasis instead of in real life? That could have been something really interesting to delve into on film (and it was a huge part of the book), but they removed it entirely. Oasis was life for many people, which was why it was important to not let the IOI take over.

It was okay, and I'm glad I saw the film, but it could have been a lot better. The book itself leaves many things to be desired, don't get me wrong, but I do admire the concept.

Back