A celestial interpretation of Zorn and Thorn?

Dionysos

Βρεκεκεκὲξ κοὰξ κοάξ
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
Shiva Snowflake
Carlos el Cactuar
Chocobo Egg
Accessory (Arms)
Build-A-Member
Accessory (Head)
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Moogle
Free Company
KupoCon
While recently researching FFIX for an article for FFF’s upcoming magazine I encountered a side note that I found to be rather interesting and have never considered before relating to Zorn and Thorn and the twin moons.

latest

Apparently the twin jesters (Zorn and Thorn) represent each of the twin moons of Gaia. Zorn represents the blue moon, whereas Thorn represents the red moon.

latest

This would explain their theme tune being ‘Jesters of the moon’:

The twin moons are an important part of contemporary Gaian culture. According to Hironobu Sakaguchi, originally the theatrical performance that we witness at the beginning of the game was going to be held as part of a festival honouring the twin moons, and not for Garnet’s birthday as it appears in the final game.

latest

Did Zorn and Thorn fashion themselves to represent the Twin Moons? Did this facilitate their rise in the ranks of the Alexandrian court, and garner favour with Alexandrian royalty? Or is there more to it than their conscious and deliberate roleplaying?

For those who do not know, the twin moons are a direct result of the failed merger of Gaia and Terra thousands of years ago. During the merger the moons of both planets remained in orbit around Gaia (and the planet Terra was trapped ‘within’ the planet of Gaia, with some Terran landmarks appearing on the surface of Gaia).
latest

We later learn that Zorn and Thorn can themselves do a little bit of merging of their own… Their monstrous true and final form is revealed to be a combined single being known as Meltigemini.
latest

The name Meltigemini also bears its own cosmic associations. Gemini is, of course, a constellation and horoscope represented by twins. The twins of Gemini are the Dioscuri of Greek and Roman mythology (Castor and Pollux). In myth these twins were the sons of Leda following her rape (or seduction) by Zeus who had taken the form of a swan. Obviously this then meant that the twins were born from an egg. Sometimes the pilos caps that the twins wore in life were regarded as remnants of the egg they hatched from and may carry cosmic connotations too.

After being immortalised in the stars, Castor and Pollux are the two brightest stars in the Gemini constellation which the twins Zorn and Thorn might also represent. Together they form (Melti)Gemini.

Did Meltigemini split into Zorn and Thorn and assimilate into Gaian society? Were Zorn and Thorn Terran in origin? They have a familiarity with Terran summon extraction sites, but since these sites have been located on Gaia for thousands of years that does not need to imply a connection there.

latest

That said, I find it interesting that Zorn and Thorn can merge and that individually they represent each moon, which itself is indicative of the failed Terra-Gaia world merger.

As their notable speech patterns mirror each other, the moons they represent also mirror each other and have overlapping orbits around Gaia. The twin moons orbital patterns mean that every sixteen days they align and pass each other in a celestial phenomenon similar to eclipses. To the eye, these eclipses would appear a bit like a merger too, thus enacting Meltigemini’s merging and splitting in the skies.

latest

What do you think? Am I being a lunatic?

:brahneto: 🔑

I wasn't aware that they represented the twin moons of Gaia. Looking at all of this, the twin/gemini imagery is pretty heavy. I do wish they had kept the importance of the twin moons and the festival. It would have been an interesting touch.

I assumed that Zorn and Thorn were working for Kuja or Garland all along so it makes sense that they would represent themselves as something important to Gaian culture to assimilate into society.

:brahneto:

Back