Forum Ideas

Setzer Gabbiani

Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
Since the forum is getting a big change I was thinking of sharing this idea to you Staff Members. I was thinking if it is possible to add a Final Fantasy theme song as the forum main song? This will give the forum more life and enjoyment to the members, as well as the guests that are visiting the forum. By doing this it might increase the interest of new comers to join the forum. Another thing that I thought it would be great is to have a actual Moogle sound effect each time a message is sent to your inbox.

Another idea that I came up with is to put a unique icon for each of the forum's color skin that matches with the color. Here are some examples:

Black - Vivi
Blue - Shiva
Red - Ifrit
Yellow - Chocobo
Orange - Moomba
Green - Cactuar
Cyan - Carbuncle

What are your thoughts about my ideas?

Since the forum is getting a big change I was thinking of sharing this idea to you Staff Members. I was thinking if it is possible to add a Final Fantasy theme song as the forum main song? This will give the forum more life and enjoyment to the members, as well as the guests that are visiting the forum. By doing this it might increase the interest of new comers to join the forum. Another thing that I thought it would be great is to have a actual Moogle sound effect each time a message is sent to your inbox.

Another idea that I came up with is to put a unique icon for each of the forum's color skin that matches with the color. Here are some examples:

Black - Vivi
Blue - Shiva
Red - Ifrit
Yellow - Chocobo
Orange - Moomba
Green - Cactuar
Cyan - Carbuncle

I am all about change and updating the forum. I like to think that I am the one that influenced the changes that are in progress. I like the color name change idea for the skins and I think the Moogle sound for new mail is spot on. Having a soundtrack would be soothing for visitors.

If we did a soundtrack then it could interfere with load times because of buffering. If this is implemented then a way to turn it on and off would be necesssary.

A Moogle noise for new mail, likes, and quotes would be a very nice way to grab the attention of the receiver and should not cause any interference.

Having different skins of different colors or schemes is a great idea. It may be a lot of work but add a few different choices every few months could keep things interesting. Naming them after characters from Final Fantasy is a ingenious idea. This will allow each member to customize to their liking and taste.

I know that change is a lot of work and it does not come over night, but if these changes and ideas are implemented over a year or so, it will keep things fresh and inviting.
Setzer Gabbiain very nice ideas and I second them, but soundtrack is questionable due to buffering.

I'm trying to think of the UX here of the first topic mentioned. Are you saying add a feature to play a .mp4 or .mp3 format song as the user enters the site? This would be a plugin if anything due to the sheer load FFF could support in the future. The technical admins will need to give their feedback on this, before even thinking of this approach.

I know for example, Belazor et Britannia, has a music player installed in his profile. Though as far as at the Site level, I'm not sure how difficult it would be to allow this feature. There are certain things like licensing that might have to occur before using FF theme songs and such, unless a person were to re-write the song and make it their own per say.

I forgot about the copyright aspect of the songs, you have to pay royalties for each time the song is played unless you get written consent from the proper owner. I don't think SE is going to let us use their music free of charge if at all. THAT is something to think about and would possibly make the suggestion a mute point.

Good catch Shu

I forgot about the copyright aspect of the songs, you have to pay royalties for each time the song is played unless you get written consent from the proper owner. I don't think SE is going to let us use their music free of charge if at all. THAT is something to think about and would possibly make the suggestion a mute point.

Good catch Shu
Yeah your totally right about the copy rights. I totally forgot about that. Well if that can't be done then that just fine with me. As for the other ideas I don't think there should be any problem with them. I will be pleased just to see my skin colors idea been implemented in this forum.

I think that each of the forum skin style should have a unique icon that matches with the color just as I posted earlier. It will give the skins more use out of them.

Black - Vivi
Blue - Shiva
Red - Ifrit
Yellow - Chocobo
Orange - Moomba
Green - Cactuar
Cyan - Carbuncle

The copyright would not necessarily even be an issue, but due the invasive nature of having music play while you open a site I think it's best we don't do this. I would hate for my browser to suddenly start playing music when I'm visiting any website - let alone a forum that's up in the background quite often. People could also be logging in from public places, and it's just not ideal in my opinion.

When it comes to the forum's colour skins - custom icons are a lot, and I mean a lot of work. We do aim to have custom forum thread icons going with the main forum skin (moogles atm). I personally think it's best we keep the main focus on that, and maybe add one other skin that has a lot of customization while leaving the other forum colour skins in tact and simple.

The moogle sound for a notification vs the 'pop' we have now might be a nice addition, though. :)

Just my two cents.

The copyright would not necessarily even be an issue
As the person who would suffer personally, legally and financially by ignoring copyright like this, I can say it would definitely be an issue. Profile Music is different, although it in itself is a very grey area.

Even if there were no other reasons for having autoplay, there is absolutely no way in a million years this would ever be implemented.

Yeah your totally right about the copy rights. I totally forgot about that. Well if that can't be done then that just fine with me. As for the other ideas I don't think there should be any problem with them. I will be pleased just to see my skin colors idea been implemented in this forum.

I think that each of the forum skin style should have a unique icon that matches with the color just as I posted earlier. It will give the skins more use out of them.

Sorry bud :sad: I know only second hand my friend had to strip his site of music due to copyright. He edited a Team Fortress Classic clan/guild video we were all in to use this song. Oh how I miss it.... Ooooooh yeaaa.

Shu That was the dumbest video I ever watched. Thanks for taking that precious time away from me. 8(

As the person who would suffer personally, legally and financially by ignoring copyright like this, I can say it would definitely be an issue. Profile Music is different, although it in itself is a very grey area.

Even if there were no other reasons for having autoplay, there is absolutely no way in a million years this would ever be implemented.

I think the copyright highly depends on what music you're using. There's fan music made to use freely for these things. That's really what I was referring to.

@Shu That was the dumbest video I ever watched. Thanks for taking that precious time away from me. 8(

It is a master piece :sir:. It is definitely up there with Beethoven's Symphony No.5 and Mozart's Lacrimosa. It has its rise and falls of emotions, and is highly regarded as one of the best videos of it's decade.

As to not derail this thread, we definitely wouldn't mind more fan music from our members! This might be a viable option in the upgrade! We will keep all these suggestions to heart, but again, we will need to see what our options are as well. Thank you, @Setzer Gabbiani, for the suggestions.

Back