Problems with FFF

Erumollien

That Guy
Gil
FFXIV
Erumollien
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Granted I am new to this forum but on the other hand I bring new vision to what current members have gone blind to.

I have stated many times that this forum needed to refresh it's look. Bring the forum current. That is not the only thing that is crippling the growth of the forum.

I have done just about everything I can to draw in new members, I have seen a slight growth in numbers but I do not have any back data to compare with. When I first joined and started to participate with the communications via Shoutbox, posts, and threads, veteran members where shocked to see a new member in the Shoutbox. Have you ever thought that the older members have formed a click, a group within a group, and it is hard to be accepted within this click.

Not many members get a very good welcome, and are not accepted. It is like the forum is afraid of change and to embrace something new into their "society" which pushes others away.

I do not know if I have made an impact to this forum or not but if the veteran members do not accept the new members for who they are and welcome them unconditionally then this forum will not grow into what it can be.

What is the point of having a Discord if it is not going to be used? I joined the Discord in order to communicate better with members of the Free Company for FFXIV. I guess I am suppose to communicate with in game chat, which is difficult with a PS4. Why does the forum have all this stuff and not use it? If this was a money making business it would have gone bankrupt years ago, luckly it is just a hangout site that the few dedicated members that communicate here keep it on life support.

Delete this thread if you want, I just had to get this out.

Sometimes I say things in the SB and find that my comments get swallowed up or nobody responds to them. That's just the way the SB is. Sometimes people get caught up in their own conversations and they gloss over other comments.

There will inevitably be cliques here to an extent. It's human nature, though I personally try to go against it. I hate the tribal aspects of human society. I do think that many of us do go beyond this, unlike some places. I feel like we do welcome new members. Our problem is simply that we haven't seen many new members become as active as you have been here in a while. You are a rarity, but a welcome one.

Most new members are too shy to comment in the SB because it is a little bit like walking into a bar in a town you do not know and then attempting to have a conversation with a group of strangers.

Our surprise at your posting in the SB was only to do with that. I regret if it came across as if you were not welcome. You are.

As for your impact, you certainly have made one. You may not know this but staff are actually working on a lot of changes behind the scenes at the moment. We're moving things around and working on slimming things here. We also are planning new features. Some of these changes had their origins in your suggestions.

We're very much focused now on bringing new things into this community. As staff, anyway. Yes, we are very big on nostalgia here too, but we are working on new things. They just take time to prepare.

I'd love for more people to use to Discord, but they cannot be forced to either. We need more people who share your enthusiasm. Mitsuki recently posted a new thread about the Discord, and we've updated the Shoutbox sticky to try to attract more people into our Discord. We have since gained new people, but it would be nice if as many FFF members as possible could join in.

Granted I am new to this forum but on the other hand I bring new vision to what current members have gone blind to.

I have stated many times that this forum needed to refresh it's look. Bring the forum current. That is not the only thing that is crippling the growth of the forum.

I have done just about everything I can to draw in new members, I have seen a slight growth in numbers but I do not have any back data to compare with. When I first joined and started to participate with the communications via Shoutbox, posts, and threads, veteran members where shocked to see a new member in the Shoutbox. Have you ever thought that the older members have formed a click, a group within a group, and it is hard to be accepted within this click.

Not many members get a very good welcome, and are not accepted. It is like the forum is afraid of change and to embrace something new into their "society" which pushes others away.

I do not know if I have made an impact to this forum or not but if the veteran members do not accept the new members for who they are and welcome them unconditionally then this forum will not grow into what it can be.

What is the point of having a Discord if it is not going to be used? I joined the Discord in order to communicate better with members of the Free Company for FFXIV. I guess I am suppose to communicate with in game chat, which is difficult with a PS4. Why does the forum have all this stuff and not use it? If this was a money making business it would have gone bankrupt years ago, luckly it is just a hangout site that the few dedicated members that communicate here keep it on life support.

I am glad that you feel you bring some fresh and new input to our forums. I assure you our members/staff have not gone blind to this. We're always looking to improve, but there's only so much you can do.

When it come to refreshing looks - the forum had a massive update quite a bit before you joined. I would hope people don't assume the forum is the same old as back when it was first started up. You have to understand that updating looks has nothing to do with the very heavy and successful competitor called social media.

I don't know about being surprised with new members, we often have them come around but people usually take a bit longer to warm up and jump into the shoutbox - perhaps this is why you feel it shocked people. You were very present from the moment you joined. :)

I'm actually very proud of our veteran members as they're most of the time happy to help a new person / or returning member out. I don't understand where you get the idea they aren't? If you have had any issues we're not aware of regarding people not making you feel accepted you are free to contacted the Staff members about this.

As far as Discord - I have already told you in there that you have to understand people have been answering your rapid fire questions. shivas, Al, Ross, myself, we've all chimed in when you had a lot of questions. I understand you may feel like it should be more active, but I'm sure you realise people have their daily lives to take care of and we simply cannot be around 24/7. You might want to also step back a little and consider if what you're saying may come across as a little ungrateful.

Thank you for your feedback, though. We're constantly looking to work on things, so I'm sure we can take some of this with us and tweak with future improvements.

I am glad that you feel you bring some fresh and new input to our forums. I assure you our members/staff have not gone blind to this. We're always looking to improve, but there's only so much you can do.

When it come to refreshing looks - the forum had a massive update quite a bit before you joined. I would hope people don't assume the forum is the same old as back when it was first started up. You have to understand that updating looks has nothing to do with the very heavy and successful competitor called social media.

I don't know about being surprised with new members, we often have them come around but people usually take a bit longer to warm up and jump into the shoutbox - perhaps this is why you feel it shocked people. You were very present from the moment you joined. :)

I'm actually very proud of our veteran members as they're most of the time happy to help a new person / or returning member out. I don't understand where you get the idea they aren't? If you have had any issues we're not aware of regarding people not making you feel accepted you are free to contacted the Staff members about this.

As far as Discord - I have already told you in there that you have to understand people have been answering your rapid fire questions. shivas, Al, Ross, myself, we've all chimed in when you had a lot of questions. I understand you may feel like it should be more active, but I'm sure you realise people have their daily lives to take care of and we simply cannot be around 24/7. You might want to also step back a little and consider if what you're saying may come across as a little ungrateful.

Thank you for your feedback, though. We're constantly looking to work on things, so I'm sure we can take some of this with us and tweak with future improvements.

Sorry that you taking this as if I am ungrateful, which is not the case. I am very grateful for the help that I received. I was just told last night to use game chat and I don't rightfully understand why.

Not everyone is off putting, but it has a feeling that new members are unwelcome, or maybe that is just a feeling I get. With some of the comments it seems as if there are rejections or a sense of being a burden or unwelcome.

I'm not trying to start a pissing contest here, and I am not saying I am perfect, but perception is everything.

Maybe instead of starting this thread I should have just moved on.

Sorry that you taking this as if I am ungrateful, which is not the case. I am very grateful for the help that I received. I was just told last night to use game chat and I don't rightfully understand why.

Not everyone is off putting, but it has a feeling that new members are unwelcome, or maybe that is just a feeling I get. With some of the comments it seems as if there are rejections or a sense of being a burden or unwelcome.

I'm not trying to start a pissing contest here, and I am not saying I am perfect, but perception is everything.

The person commenting about using in-game chat meant that you probably would've gotten a response, and I agree with them. I don't think a lot of players go back and forth checking in game and Discord chat when they're gaming. All was meant well, but I think people try their best and the comment you made about "asking something else but that not being answered" well, I'm sure you know where I'm going with that.

I think it's absolutely fine you voice how you feel, though. As long as it stays constructive.

Also... I didn't say I think you were ungrateful. I just know a lot of people did try and help you, something to keep in mind. :)

I dunno about anyone else, but in my opinion you came across extremely ungrateful when you said "I'd ask another question but it won't get answered". As far as I can tell, people have been doing their best to answer your questions in the discord as they see them. Questions that honestly could have been Googled.

I told you to ask in the FC chat because while you were online there were at least 3 other people that could have and would have helped you if we knew, including myself. And judging by your following posts in discord, I can only assume it was incredibly important that you got an answer as soon as possible. Does it not make sense to ask the people actually playing the game about game related questions? Not everyone checks the discord, and those that do don't necessarily know about XIV. As far as I can tell you've never said a word in the FC chat.

This probably sounds a bit blunt, but it's how I see it and why I posted what I did. People not knowing the answers to your questions doesn't mean that you're unwelcome. It's just that they don't know. I think most people welcome the increased activity that you've brought to the community.

I didnt even know there was a discord until a few days ago when it was in the notice of the sb, tbh. This comes across as rather silly, imo. You just joined the forum and cant expect everyone and their mum to always be on to answer you. This forum for the 10 years i've been on it has become less active and all that is left is just a few people that come here everyday. Shooting suggestions at the staff is very nice of you but you're coming across as a sore loser here, imo. I'm not trying to be mean but not all of your suggestions will be taken to heart. You're also the first new member in years that has even stayed for more than a week and constantly wants this forum changed. What is there to change exactly? It's not going to become active just by snapping fingers.

The only thing I have to say is the same thing I said before, in that I feel you're being a bit too hard on the community as far as being nice and welcoming is concerned. Though I technically joined in 2008, I didn't actually join FFF until around two years ago. I've joined a lot of forums, a lot of discords, and a lot of other types of communities -both related to Final Fantasy and otherwise- and still to this day I feel FFF is by far the most welcoming, with the most well managed rules, and as such it tends to foster the highest average level of respectful and intelligent conversation. FFF to me feels like a concise and honest forum because it's free from a lot of the bull that most others deal with. Yes, that's because it's smaller when it comes to regular community members. But never have I genuinely felt like I wasn't welcome, or like I had to earn my way into a clique. Quite the opposite in fact, when compared to the awkwardness and sometimes outright hostility I find people consistently face in most other communities I've joined.

Not saying you're wrong of course, so much as that I personally just don't see what you're seeing. This is honestly the only forum where I've felt completely comfortable speaking my mind on topics ranging from games, to music, to religion, to economics, to race, to politics. And yet it never felt like I had to earn the right to feel that welcome.

Hi there,

Thank you for the input and feedback. Many of us have seen how active you are and are super appreciative of your posting. I hope you keep it up! As far as new member welcoming, I know it can't be forced on people. People will either do it or not, sort of free will, if you will :grin:.

Now as far as the new look, well I think there needs to be a basis of comparison. I know you just joined in January, so I'm trying to help you with the solution model you have in mind. Please suggest a few things we can do to help, rather than saying there is a problem with the look or the discord "welcoming" rather. You may have valid points, but it's a little harder for us staffers or members to do anything about it, if you don't offer your own solutions in the process. We can always take suggestions or feedback, but not if there is no plan put in place. If you want to know some back dated stories of the change of forums over the years, it's been exponential.

As far as if we are always using Discord, well some of us do, and some of us don't. Unfortunately for folks like me, I can only respond some of the time due to meetings throughout the day and bandwidth at work. I also have a fairly active family life now, so aside from wanting to decompress, sometimes I don't always hop on to the shout box and/or discord and mostly just stop in to say hello. I also am unsubbed currently from FFXIV due to the lack of content for now and time/dedication. It's easier for me to pop on single player games at the current state due to my need to drop in and drop off.

Stick around James, and we will try to see your vision buddy.

I'm really sorry that you feel the way that you do. I can assure you that I don't believe anyone here is trying to make things difficult for you. From my observations, there are more members that have treated you with respect and welcomed you with open arms. Some may come across blunt but far from being harsh or with ill intent.

I don't really have much to say about cliques. I haven't seen this word pop up for years now, and while you are free to think of it that way, I believe what you are actually seeing is a form of our tight knit community we have built throughout these years...not just of FF fans but also other people who don't even have the same common interests or opinions, yet still maintain a friendly and respectable presence here. Personality clashes aside, we've all remained cordial with each other.

I have checked Discord and I honestly didn't see anything wrong with what was said. No one was rude. Straight to the point? Sure.

As for you feeling like you're being a burden, the only thing I can offer here is perhaps you're being a little too hard on yourself and others. I'm not sure, since I can't possibly know what everyone here is thinking, but you need to realize that trying to feel like you need to be accepted - I think that's a very unhealthy outlook to adopt. You don’t need to constantly seek acceptance. This is my general perspective on it anyway, and I hope it doesn't come across as personal criticism. Just trying to offer a friendly advice and that maybe you're reading too much between the lines.

No doubt you'll come across some people who will disagree with you and might reject your opinions, but I firmly believe the community here aren't going out of their way to reject new members right off the bat. To me, it's an extreme claim, but I acknowledge it's how you probably feel at this time.

I hope we can convince you to stay. I can't promise it will be a comfortable experience for you, but we're here to ensure you're on the right track. You've got a strong presence so far that much is for sure, and I hope we can continue to build upon that. Contrary to what a member said here, there is nothing wrong with asking for changes to be made. It will be taken into consideration at least, and whether we implement these changes or not (or go entirely a different route...) do know that the decisions are made with what we believe are the very best intentions.

And here comes the awkward part after all that...

Rey said:
Shooting suggestions at the staff is very nice of you but you're coming across as a sore loser here, imo.

Ai-yai-yai, Adri. No need for this; it doesn't help anyone or accomplish anything. Do be mindful next time.

Last edited:
As for you feeling like you're being a burden, the only thing I can offer here is perhaps you're being a little too hard on yourself and others. I'm not sure, since I can't possibly know what everyone here is thinking, but you need to realize that trying to feel like you need to be accepted - I think that's a very unhealthy outlook to adopt. You don’t need to constantly seek acceptance. This is my general perspective on it anyway, and I hope it doesn't come across as personal criticism. Just trying to offer a friendly advice and that maybe you're reading too much between the lines.
Mitsuki : Maybe you are right, maybe my divorce has been putting more pressure on me than I realized. It could be that I am seeking acceptance because of recent rejection. As I sit here and read the few comments that were posted, I can see that my point of view is obscured by my feelings, which are obscured by current events in my life.

@ Rey Maybe, I do expect immediate satisfaction, but that is not my point in my post, but what I get from you is to sit back and relax. However, I do not see myself as a sore loser because I did not lose anything.
Ross I know that you have been helping me and my comment via Discord was inappropriate, but be assure I did not mean how it came across. Your help, along with all the others, has been invaluable. So for me to offend those that have put in great effort to help me with my issues, that yes as you put it I could have Googled. It could be as Mitz said, that I am trying too hard to be accepted. Please forgive me for insulting your kindness.
Dionynsos You have listened to every concern that I had and acted upon it. I don't know what the administration has been doing behind seen or what they have done in the past, but me coming in here fresh off the streets trying to make big changes is kinda of a slap in the face. You all have done hard work on this forum and I failed to recognize it, for this I am sorry. I pushed my ideas to hard and maybe my first impression came off as crude to the community. If that is the case then it would off put those that have been around and have put so much time and effort into this community.

For those that have commented to the tread it shows that you care about my opinion and made sure that I understood the views of the community. It is not easy to tell someone that they are wrong. This community does speak their minds and does not hold back. However, some members can be crude and insulting. Maybe it is their personality or maybe it is me, but not everyone welcomes new members with open arms.

I am surprised that I have made such an impact on the community for such a response to a personal rant. I do not know what my actions may have done, but I do know this, with this thread I have alienated myself and changed views that some have had for me. I have been asked to stay by a few of you and I do not know how to respond to that. You will see me in and out at times, but I do not think I will be as outgoing as I have been.

@Mitsuki : Maybe you are right, maybe my divorce has been putting more pressure on me than I realized. It could be that I am seeking acceptance because of recent rejection. As I sit here and read the few comments that were posted, I can see that my point of view is obscured by my feelings, which are obscured by current events in my life.

@ Rey Maybe, I do expect immediate satisfaction, but that is not my point in my post, but what I get from you is to sit back and relax. However, I do not see myself as a sore loser because I did not lose anything.
@Ross I know that you have been helping me and my comment via Discord was inappropriate, but be assure I did not mean how it came across. Your help, along with all the others, has been invaluable. So for me to offend those that have put in great effort to help me with my issues, that yes as you put it I could have Googled. It could be as Mitz said, that I am trying too hard to be accepted. Please forgive me for insulting your kindness.
@Dionynsos You have listened to every concern that I had and acted upon it. I don't know what the administration has been doing behind seen or what they have done in the past, but me coming in here fresh off the streets trying to make big changes is kinda of a slap in the face. You all have done hard work on this forum and I failed to recognize it, for this I am sorry. I pushed my ideas to hard and maybe my first impression came off as crude to the community. If that is the case then it would off put those that have been around and have put so much time and effort into this community.

For those that have commented to the tread it shows that you care about my opinion and made sure that I understood the views of the community. It is not easy to tell someone that they are wrong. This community does speak their minds and does not hold back. However, some members can be crude and insulting. Maybe it is their personality or maybe it is me, but not everyone welcomes new members with open arms.

I am surprised that I have made such an impact on the community for such a response to a personal rant. I do not know what my actions may have done, but I do know this, with this thread I have alienated myself and changed views that some have had for me. I have been asked to stay by a few of you and I do not know how to respond to that. You will see me in and out at times, but I do not think I will be as outgoing as I have been.

I know it's easier said than done, but just take it easy. I've already posted officially in here, but don't take it hard on yourself if folks don't respond asap. You did call one thing out which we are trying to rectify: activity. We will keep you posted and you might see some new changes coming here soon again as we speak.

@Ross I know that you have been helping me and my comment via Discord was inappropriate, but be assure I did not mean how it came across. Your help, along with all the others, has been invaluable. So for me to offend those that have put in great effort to help me with my issues, that yes as you put it I could have Googled. It could be as Mitz said, that I am trying too hard to be accepted. Please forgive me for insulting your kindness.
No no. I was probably a bit blunt in my reply, sorry. I'm honestly not terribly bothered by any of this! And you certainly shouldn't hold back from asking for help just because the answer might also be on Google. It's just my opinion of course but maybe in the future I think if you're looking for an answer quickly that relates to XIV, maybe in addition to the discord you can use in-game chats or whatever else that is available instead of posting comments like you did in frustration or whatever. Things do get missed sometimes. I know if I had seen your post earlier, I would have tried to help out a bit more (as would other people).

Also I really wouldn't worry about this. I speak from experience when I say that the majority of people here aren't gonna dwell on silly issues. Trust me. All you're trying to do is make this place better, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

Personal situations like that can make us all act out of character. I’m very sorry to hear you’re going through that and I hope the distraction and healing needed for your personal situation comes in buckets. :)

It would be silly to leave, though. I admire the fact you took a step back and analyzed your situation. Not everyone has the ability to admit things about themselves.

As your kudos award says you’re an appreciated new addition to our forum, but we all respect the fact that you might want some time to yourself.

Take it easy, James. Chin up!

Sorry you weren't feeling welcome in the SB, for me I am usually gaming when I am on here, and sometimes I don't look back at the screen for 30 minutes or more and by then I forget what was talked about, and I feel that a lot of people go back and forth between the forum and other things, also if you didn't like the 007 Name I gave you, I am sorry, just part of me always gives people some weird nickname when it comes up.

As far as the Discord thing I never go there cause I don't do any multiplayer gaming and I don't watch Lps or anything, so I just never go there.

Then as far as cleaning up the forum and cleaning it up, I know that about once or twice a year I know the mods or admins go and clean a lot of things up, just hard to delete some threads cause things like "what is your favorite FF" or "what do you like about FFIX" or so on don't really get "old" per say vs old members won't really comment in those threads even if new members comment cause they already said what they thought, and you can't just delete those threads cause people read them, new and older members.

Back