Top 20 Best Final Fantasy Villains

VillainFan42

Ex-Soldier
Gil
FFXIV
Arza Ra'qael
Free Company
Prelude of Light <Lux>
I love Final Fantasy and I love villains. Ergo, I love Final Fantasy villains and I thought it'd be fun to compile a list of the best in the series.
For this list, there's no limit to how many can be from the same game (although only one game gets more than 2) and it's not restricted to main villains. Also, be aware that I'm only drawing from main series games (with the possible exception of the villain who occupies #8 on this list) and will not take their portrayal in Dissidia into account unless that interpretation can apply to their original form.
I will be judging the villains here based on 6 criteria:

Intimidation
Does the player feel threatened or scared of the villain? Do they feel like a force to be reckoned with? I do not have a dedicated score for a villain's visual design, but it can make or break an intimidation factor.

Personality
How is this villain as a character? What separates them from being a mere force of nature or mindless obstacle?

Motivation
Why is the villain a villain to begin with? What drives them? Is it an interesting, or at the very least believable? Does it inform their actions?

Presence
Does the villain feel like a major part of the story? Do the characters feel the villains' impact even when the villain is not directly involved? Does the villain have a large impact on the story or the characters?

Competence
Is the villain actually a legitimate threat? How often do they succeed compared to their defeats? I should note that a villain automatically scores a 5/5 if they get what they want in the end, even if they are defeated.

Combat
How does the villain fare in battle? Are they a challenging opponent? Is the battle memorable? Are they powerful in gameplay as well as story?

With that out of the way, I apologize in advance if I overlooked someone or exhibited some form of bias. I should note that I have never played XI. I also apologize for the difference in quality in the pictures.

Let's begin!

Ultimecia (Final Fantasy VIII)

Intimidation - 4
Personality - 2
Motivation - 3
Presence - 4
Competence - 3
Combat - 5

I have a very bizarre love/hate relationship with Final Fantasy VIII. It has too many flaws for me to consider it a good game, but too many amazing moments for me to consider it a bad game. That applies to its main villain as well. I'll admit to having warmed up to Ultimecia, but she's still pretty low on the list.

Her modus operandi of possessing sorceresses throughout the timeline is interesting, as is her endgame- compressing all of time into a single moment. This would be absolutely fascinating if we had the slightest idea what makes her tick. Granted, we do see that in the ending it was very similar to Final Fantasy 1, but her motivation is largely up to interpretation, and what we do have for a motive- she wants to kill the SeeD destined to destroy her- isn't very unique, nor does it explain the Time Compression plot. Her own personality isn't very unique either.

All the battles against her are great, and she is remarkably intimidating when she's in Edea's body, and makes for a really effective nemesis. Then... we see her true form at the end of the game. You know you're doing something wrong when Queen Amidala's ensemble from Phantom Menace looks dignified and subtle by comparison. That, and her saying k's instead of c's is got really irritating, really fast. Like a lot of Final Fantasy VIII, I really wanted to like her, but there are just too many problems for me to appreciate them fully.
Garland (Final Fantasy IX)

Intimidation - 5
Personality - 3
Motivation - 4
Presence - 3
Competence - 3
Combat - 3

Considering that Final Fantasy IX was meant to be a culmination of every Final Fantasy before it, it should come as no surprise it's almost main villain shares a name with the original Final Fantasy villain. The creator of the Genomes, and by extension Zidane and Kuja, he is siphoning life from Gaia's crystal and plans to assimilate it into his own world, Terra.

As a figure responsible for most of the plot, he is fantastic. His first confrontation with Zidane was a chilling scene, and led to one of the most awesome and touching scenes in any game. His boss fight was good, but not memorable, and his motivation makes sense, although it is far too similar to Zemus from Final Fantasy IV to my liking. (And before you ask, Zemus will be on this list later on down the line.)

I can't make him much higher on the list, though, because shortly after he makes his grand debut on Terra, he is swiftly usurped by Kuja, who takes back his rightful title of main villain. (Again, we'll see Kuja later on.) He mostly operates in the background, but since he doesn't get to be main villain for very long, plus this means his influence isn't felt for a good chunk of the game, I feel that this counts as a strike against him.
Zemus (Final Fantasy IV)

Intimidation - 4
Personality - 1
Motivation - 4
Presence - 3
Competence - 4
Combat - 5

Zemus would have been a lot higher on this list if it weren't for some glaring issues I have with him, Golbez, and the game as a whole. A Lunarian who believed that it wasn't worth waiting for the inhabitants of the Blue Planet to catch up in their evolution, he took control of Golbez, Kain, and others to extinguish life on the planet and allow the Lunarians to live here.

His motivations are understandable, and he is very competent as a villain, though admittedly he is working through proxies most of the time. The final boss against him is iconic and he is quite an intimidating figure. However, I do have some glaring issues with him. Most notable, his overreliance on mind control. Golbez would have been a much more interesting villain if it was just him (he would've been much higher on the list) but Zemus himself feels like an afterthought. In the game, the player doesn't learn of his existence until right before the end, and Cecil basically goes "So this guy's the bad guy now? Well, okay."

Not only that, but his personality is bland as well. This is the problem with villains who operate behind the scenes like this- the player gets no time to really dive into their character and motivations, and Zemus is a very bland "I will destroy everything with my hatred' kind of villain. Plus, his designs in all of his forms leave something to be desired. He's not a great villain, but with maybe one more rewrite, he could have been.
Professor Hojo (Final Fantasy VII)

Intimidation - 5
Personality - 4
Motivation - 3
Presence - 3
Competence - 3
Combat - 3

Much like Garland, Hojo is responsible for a lot of the conflict in the game's backstory without being the main villain per se. However, Hojo is honestly superior due to his more unique personality, and how exactly he fits into the game's world. The biological father of Sephiroth, he injected his unborn son with Jenova cells because SCIENCE! He turned Vincent into a monster and left him in his own personal hell because SCIENCE! He used mako energy to create horrible abominations and completely mind-rape Cloud because SCIENCE!

He is more unique as a character in that, despite also being very one-note evil, he sets himself apart because of just what a disgusting human being he is. In his first appearance, we see him try to breed Aerith with Red XIII (who is basically an anthropomorphic dog) and referring to them as endangered species and treating them as animals, despite the two of them being completely sentient. The reason? SCIENCE!

It's especially interesting because he officially retires from Shinra pretty early on, but still manages to be a force for evil throughout the game. And the battle against him has an interesting setup as well- he is trying to use the Sister Ray to help his son in his own evil, twisted way. All in all, he is a very memorable and despicable supporting antagonist.
Livia sas Junius (Final Fantasy XIV)

latest

Intimidation - 5
Personality - 3
Motivation - 2
Presence - 3
Competence - 4
Combat - 4

Some of you are no doubt confused that Livia is the sole representative of XIV on this list, over the misguided Gaius and the scheming Lahabrea. After all, she is a lackey. Her design isn't terribly memorable and her personality and motivations are bland. Well, there is one good reason she's here. She accomplished what no other Final Fantasy villain has ever done before: She made me legitimately angry.

The other Scions of the Seventh Dawn were likeable, though not all that memorable. Still, I was quite endeared to them as I worked alongside them throughout the main story. So imagine my shock when I returned to the Waking Sands after defeating Titan to find that the Garlean Empire had come in and massacred everything. Through the Echo, you learn Livia was the one who led the charge, captured most of the main characters, and demonstrated her ruthlessness by throwing Noraxia into a wall so hard that I'm pretty sure it broke her spine, though she held out just long enough to die in the player character's arms.

Livia makes a few more appearances which only serve to make me want to murder her even more. You know how hard it is to tell a meaningful story in an MMO? It's not that easy. In a genre where every story is one's own, Livia did an amazing job of escalating the conflict and making the stakes personal, not just for the characters, but the player as well.
Judge Gabranth (Final Fantasy XII)

Intimidation - 4
Personality - 4
Motivation - 5
Presence - 3
Competence - 3
Combat - 2

In a more political, grounded, down-to-earth story like Final Fantasy XII, Gabranth is the villain meant to have a personal connection to the heroes while they are off doing their own thing. His backstory is tragic, informs his actions as a character quite nicely, and makes for a fascinating parallel to Basch. His design as well is pretty cool.

The character itself is perfectly sound, if a little bland- most of his character comes from with interactions with Basch, which is enough, I think. However, outside his role in the backstory he has very little bearing on the plot except as a sounding board for the villains to give exposition, and when he does show up to confront the heroes, his boss fights are kinda bland and pathetic and he never really gets a decisive victory over the heroes.

That said, teaming up with him in the penultimate battle was a blast, and he fits perfectly with the cast and story of XII. He doesn't impact the story all that much (certainly not enough to warrant being on the game's logo) but he rounds out XII's rogues gallery quite nicely. That said, he's far from the last of XII's villains we'll see on this list.
Exdeath (Final Fantasy V)

Intimidation - 4
Personality - 3
Motivation - 1
Presence - 4
Competence - 5
Combat - 4

Exdeath is one of the most commonly cited examples of bad video game villains, but personally, I find this guy gets a bad rap. He does have problems, but I do find him a very underappreciated villain. (If you want to know who I think the worst villain in the series is, I'd have to point to Xande from Final Fantasy III.)

Exdeath is the Butz of a lot of jokes because he's an evil tree. And while that does undercut his intimidation factor somewhat, none can deny that he is an extremely competent evil tree. He plows through the crystals with almost no opposition, succeeds in opening the void, and last but not least, he is one of the few villains in the series who successfully kills off a main character. Even Kefka never managed that!

On top of that, his personality, while not necessarily deep, is still pretty endearing. He completely owns the fact that he's an evil overlord, and in the GBA's more self-aware script, he gets a few good lines as well. He seems like a parody of the evil overlord archetype at times, and I mean that in the best possible way. This is one tree not even Bob Ross could take the edge off of.
Seymour Guado (Final Fantasy X)

Intimidation - 3
Personality - 4
Motivation - 5
Presence - 3
Competence - 3
Combat - 4

In the Final Fantasy series, the nihilistic "destroy the world" villain seems to be the most common, or at least most recognizable villain archetype used. Seymour takes this trope to its logical conclusion, but manages to be an interesting character regardless. Outcast because he's half-Guado, he saw the endless spiral of death wrought upon by Sin, he figured he'd essentially mercy kill everyone in Spira so they wouldn't have to fear anymore. Better to suffer the worst now than live in constant fear of it, you know?

With the environment of Spira the game presents, the way the Yevon faith works, and all the death the player sees throughout the game, it's completely understandable how he'd come to the conclusion he did. Like Hojo, he's a pretty despicable person who you love to root against, and with the exception of his fourth and final fight, all of the battles against him are challenging and memorable- and even then, the zero-effort fourth fight is accompanied by the best battle theme in the entire series.

Still, though, he isn't without his flaws. Seymour is a perfect example of how poor character design can completely undercut any intimidation, he never really gets a victory over the heroes, and then there's the fact that in the grand scheme of the plot, he's really not all that important. Admittedly, a good chunk of the plot is driven by his death, but if he never came back as an Unsent and actually stayed dead, the game's plot likely would not have changed at all. Despite this, Seymour is memorable, fun to hate, and one of the best examples of a nihilistic villain across fiction.
Rubicante (Final Fantasy IV)

Intimidation - 4
Personality - 5
Motivation - 3
Presence - 2
Competence - 4
Combat - 5

The Four Fiends are hardly a new concept in the Final Fantasy series, but it was with the ensemble from IV, and the Fire Fiend in particular, that the concept really came into its own. Rubicante is a noble adversary, willing to give his opponents a fair fight and eager to see his opponents' full strength without compromising his objectives, and improving his own power.

His first appearance is excellent. Edge is trying to use his own ninja firepower on the fiend, and Rubicante basically goes "You call that fire? THIS is fire!" before incinerating the poor guy right then and there. But his real shining moment takes place aboard the Giant of Babil. He saw how effective it was for the heroes to fight together as a team, and in a first for the series, he rounds up the other quirky minibosses and they fight you all at once, making for a tough and memorable fight.

As a lackey, he does his job really well. He's one of those enemies who honestly would be a pretty swell guy if it wasn't his job to kill you. Those kind of bad guys are always a treat to meet and beat. Speaking of which...
Gilgamesh (Final Fantasy V)

Intimidation - 3
Personality - 5
Motivation - 3
Presence - 5
Competence - 2
Combat - 5

The single most recurring character throughout the entire series, Gilgamesh has come a long way since he was the comic relief underling of Exdeath. For his failures he was cast into the Void- and since then he's been traveling the multiverse, battling many heroes along the way and coming away with cheap replicas of legendary swords. He's practically the Deadpool of Final Fantasy!

Gilgamesh is hilariously endearing and likeable, and yet he is always a worthy opponent and always a treat to fight. Whether he's the champion of children's card games, giving Odin a taste of his own medicine, fighting in an arena, or just going around causing trouble, encountering him is always an absolute treat, accentuated by his epic battle theme.

He's hilariously incompetent, but that's part of his charm. He's such an iconic part of the series that this comic relief villain was made a playable character in Dissidia! Hilarious and yet challenging at the same time, Gilgamesh is that rare opponent everybody looks forward to fighting.
Emperor Mateus (Final Fantasy II)

Intimidation - 4
Personality - 3
Motivation - 3
Presence - 5
Competence - 5
Combat - 4

Final Fantasy II's plot is often compared to Star Wars, and the Emperor is... well, the Emperor. Mateus, as his name was given in Dissidia, is an excellent villain because of how much of an influence he has over the game despite almost never showing up. He only appear in person a handful of times, and yet he is omnipresent throughout the bleak world of Final Fantasy II.

Although none of these occur in person, he is basically responsible for more character deaths than any other villain of the series. And that's to say nothing of the finale, where he is killed in battle, but when he ends up in Hell and the devil comes to collect, Mateus kills the devil, assumes his throne, and rises again to take his revenge, making the capital of Hell his base of operations. Dang.

He's not without his problems- namely, his incredibly flamboyant, David Bowie-esque design- but in the end, without him, Final Fantasy II would not have been as emotionally powerful as it was, and the final battle against him, to this day, is one of the most challenging final bosses in the series.
Jecht (Final Fantasy X)

Intimidation - 4
Personality - 5
Motivation - 3
Presence - 5
Competence - 4
Combat - 4

Jecht was one villain I was hesitant to put on this list, since he's only an antagonist against his will, but I ultimately decided that since he is Sin, and therefore the main driving antagonistic force in Final Fantasy X, he definitely holds a place here. After ending up in Spira and joining Braska's pilgrimage, he became the Final Aeon, was corrupted by Yu Yevon, and is now the physical body of Sin. So, he pulls Tidus into Spira with the intent of being destroyed and ending the cycle of death once and for all. (Incidentally, Yu Yevon almost made it onto this list because of his concept alone, but in the end, I decided... nah.)

Again, despite his incredibly interesting backstory and personality, explored through the Jecht Spheres, he is a villain against his own will, hence the low score in Motivation. His goals counteract his programming, so to speak. However, as a physical force the heroes must combat, he is more than adequate. He's Sin, for crying out loud! He needs no explanation!

The final battle against him is fantastic as well, but I do admit he doesn‘t have much variety in his attacks. In the end, what really makes him a great character is his relationship with Tidus- the two of them have a complicated relationship, and their perception of one another changes throughout their individual journeys, and the payoff is worth it.
Caius Ballad (Final Fantasy XIII-2)

Intimidation - 4
Personality - 3
Motivation - 5
Presence - 4
Competence - 5
Combat - 4

Look, I'll be honest- I hate the XIII trilogy. But I am willing to recognize that there are good things in those games, and Caius is one of those. The immortal bodyguard of Yeul, a prophetess who exists in many different timelines and is killed by her visions of the future, he wants to collapse all the timelines so he won't have to watch her die.

This is an interesting and logical motivation for his actions, but he doesn't really have much personality outside his backstory. He also has a bit of an overly busy design. However, he's also got several points in his favor as well. He has awesome theme music, for one, and the fights against him are really cool and challenging.

What really makes him a great villain, however, is the fact that he wins. The heroes believe they have foiled his plans... only to learn they played right into his hands. There have been villains who accomplished their goals before their defeat, to be sure, but Caius is the only one I know of (correct me if I'm wrong) who flat-out wins, at least in XIII-2. This alone makes him worthy of being on this list.
Dr. Cid (Final Fantasy XII)

Intimidation - 3
Personality - 5
Motivation - 5
Presence - 3
Competence - 4
Combat - 5

Not only is XII's incarnation of Cid my favorite Cid in the series, he's also a great villain in the series. In contrast to the other two main villains who are more sympathetic, Dr. Cid is just amazingly fun to watch. Supposed to have gone mad from his obsession with Nethicite (turns out he's not, his BFF Venat is just invisible to mortal eyes) Cid has a theatrical element to everything he says and does, and is just a ton of fun to watch.

The two boss fights against him are fun and wonderfully unique; The first is the typical boss fight where he is surrounded by little support bits that have to be taken down one by one, but the second is where he really shines. With assistance from Venat, a summon of his own that he uses against the player, and a freaking gatling gun, the second fight against him caps off what is easily one of the most emotional, satisfying, and memorable parts of the game.

He gains some extra character from his relationship with Balthier, but sadly this isn't explored as much as it probably should have been. Despite this, Dr. Cid is another excellent addition to XII's villains. And can you believe he's not even the last XII villain on this list?
Seifer Almasy (Final Fantasy VIII)

latest

Intimidation - 4
Personality - 5
Motivation - 5
Presence - 3
Competence - 3
Combat - 5

My feelings toward VIII are still very conflicted, but I was actually pleasantly surprised at how compelling a rival Seifer was to Squall. After failing his last chance at becoming a SeeD, Ultimecia (then in the body of Edea) plays to Seifer's desires, causing him to retreat further and further into his romantic knight fantasy as he becomes the Sorceress's champion, losing more and more of his sanity as the game goes along.

Seifer's entire character is a quintessential rival, but he pulls it off really well. His entire design is meant to evoke a medieval crusader, and his coat deteriorating along with his mental state with every defeat he suffers was a wonderful little detail. That, and the battles themselves are very memorable and I looked forward to facing him every time a confrontation was at hand.

To me, Seifer feels like Kain Highwind done right. (I never understood Kain's popularity. Mind control doesn't equal depth, people!) He has an interesting motivation, a smug personality that makes it ever so much fun to lay a smackdown on him even before the official turn to evil, and one of the few things about VIII that I wholeheartedly love.
Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII)

Intimidation - 5
Personality - 3
Motivation - 4
Presence - 5
Competence - 5
Combat - 4

Now we kick off the top 5 with arguably the series' single most iconic villain. The legendary SOLDIER, the creation of Hojo, the son of Jenova bent on carrying out her mission no matter who stands in his way. Final Fantasy VII, for better or for worse, is the face of the series, and Sephiroth is a big part of that.

Sephiroth is scary. Before he even appears on screen, he's left a literal trail of blood in his wake, and is made only more threatening by how much people talk about him before he even figures in the story. He is in Cloud's head literally from the beginning, manipulates everyone around him, and is one of those precious few villains who actually manages to kill off a main character.

He gets frighteningly close to achieving his goal of destroying the world with Meteor. He only fails because of intervention from beyond the grave that only barely made it in time, and the battles against him are memorable (if a little on the easy side). His theme music really does contribute to his character's intimidation factor.

I do, however, think that his personality is a little bland. For most of his time as a villain he's a very monologue-heavy, cryptic, cackling villain. His backstory is interesting, but there's not a whole lot to his character. Despite this, he is one of the most threatening, omnipresent villains in the entire series, has a ridiculously memorable design, and so any famous moments to his name that he definitely deserves his place here. Is he the best? No. But he's dang close.
Vayne Solidor (Final Fantasy XII)

Intimidation - 4
Personality - 5
Motivation - 5
Presence - 4
Competence - 5
Combat - 5

In contrast to Sephiroth's all-encompassing evil, Vayne, the main villain of Final Fantasy XII, is one of the most interesting, sympathetic, and underappreciated antagonists in the entire series. Vayne's goals- severing the Occuria's connection to mankind and securing the legacy of House Solidor- are not evil in and of themselves, but he doesn't care how many innocent civilians get stepped on on the way to those objectives.

The relationship between him and his brother Larsa makes him easily the most human of all the villains on this list, and one gets the sense that he really does care about his subjects and would make a competent emperor. However, at the same time, he's ruthless, intelligent, and powerful, definitely a force to be reckoned with. The final battles against him are also really cool and challenging as well, I honestly think XII has one of the better endgames in the series.

My only gripe with him is that he has no real connection to any of the main cast (that's what Gabranth is for) but Vayne sticks out as a character with so many dimensions, so many ways to interpret his character, I'm honestly surprised Vayne tends to fly under the radar among the other villains in the series. Guess that comes with the territory of being the villain of the most underappreciated entry in the series (until Zodiac Age happened, anyway).
Kuja (Final Fantasy IX)

Intimidation - 4
Personality - 5
Motivation - 5
Presence - 4
Competence - 5
Combat - 5

You know that saying that a good villain doesn't know that they're the villain? Well, someone evidently forgot to tell Kuja that, because he knows full well he's the villain of the story, and he is loving every second of it. He exploits all the villainous tricks in the book and still manages to be compelling, entertaining, intimidating, and even a little tragic.

I actually don't mind his design too much, aside from a few details. (For Yevon's sake, the man's wearing a thong!) Every battle against him is really cool, he is so scarily competent as a villain that he is only foiled because of a factor he could not possibly have known about, and his backstory and motivation really drives home the tragedy of his character. His soul is not his own, and he, more than anything else, is driven by his fear of death. When he finds he cannot escape his inevitable fate, he descends into a cosmic temper tantrum that levels an entire planet.

I've gone on record saying that I think Xande is the weakest villain in the entire series, and Kuja feels like Xande's potential fully realized. Fear of one's own mortality is a fantastic motivation for a villain, and combine that with a delightfully theatrical personality and you wind up with an entertaining, intimidating, and memorable antagonist.
Ardyn Izunia (Final Fantasy XV)

Intimidation - 5
Personality - 5
Motivation - 5
Presence - 5
Competence - 5
Combat - 4

I won't say too much about Ardyn, since his game is only about a year old, but he still manages to be quite a great villain. His modus operandi as a villain is pretty unique- for a good chunk of the game, he actively helps the heroes, as his plan requires Noctis to be at his full power. The entire time he gives off that really cool "If I wanted to kill you you'd already be dead" vibe. He is unnervingly affable through the early parts of the game, and only gets worse once his true colors are revealed.

He also has my personal favorite design of any villain ever. The combination of the scarf, fedora, and trenchcoat make for an intimidating, sleazy appearance that manages to evoke Sephiroth without being too on-the-nose about it. His theme music evokes his character really well, and his motivation and backstory for what he does is really interesting.

The icing on the cake is the final fight against him. He is unique in that unlike other Big Bads, he doesn't have a big scary transformation, and the fight itself is really memorable, even if the gameplay mechanics of said fight can be a bit finicky sometimes. All in all, he's a manipulative, dangerous, and scarily competent antagonist.
Kefka Palazzo (Final Fantasy VI)

Intimidation - 5
Personality - 5
Motivation - 5
Presence - 4
Competence - 5
Combat - 5

I couldn't do it. I couldn't not have Kefka at the top of this list. He's sadistic, hilarious, threatening, and surprisingly kind of pitiful. Even once you get past the fact that he actually destroyed the world, something most villains only dream of, there's a ton of character there. He doesn't get much of a backstory aside from being a Magitek Knight gone wrong, but he doesn't need any more than that. We know enough about him to know what makes him tick that we get a sense of who he is. Kefka is a man incapable of feeling- or even comprehending- love. He doesn't understand why anyone would create, knowing it won't last forever, or why anyone would cling to life, knowing that all things must die. The only thing that gives him any sense of gratification is meaningless destruction. That's... actually kind of tragic.

His design reflects his personality perfectly- flamboyant and chaotic. Thanks to Woolsey's legendary SNES localization, Kefka's dialogue makes him far more entertaining than your typical evil clown. He is downright hilarious- even when he poisons a castle full of innocents because he doesn't have the patience to conduct a siege, it's hard not to be endeared to him. He is one of those characters that are just so much fun to hate. His sadism doesn't go away any once he becomes a god, either- After all, this is the guy who left all the children alive in one town he destroyed because he thought it'd be funny to see them fend for themselves. Even when he is a mere lackey to Emperor Gestahl, he still manages to be a force to be reckoned with.

With an endless supply of memorable lines, an immortal, chilling laugh, and one of the best final battles of video game history, Kefka is one of the high points of what is already one of the best games of all time. If I have any problems with him at all, it's the fact that he doesn't really do much in the second half of the game, but even then his influence can always be felt. Sephiroth may be the most iconic bad guy of Final Fantasy, and for good reason, but Kefka, in my eyes, is the epitome of everything that makes a great villain.

Last edited:
I don't know all the villains across the FF Series. But for the ones I have played FFIV - FFXI, yes Kefka is at the top of my list as well. Thanks for the post.

Celebrating Kefka, here's OST theme, re-created with synthesizers:
KEFKA

Back