*removed*

I might be wrong, but I thought that Cloud was supposed to have been an infantryman for Shinra, rather than a qualified SOLDIER.
The differences in costume are subtle and a little bit inconsistent within the original game.

I think the infantrymen carried machine guns or rifles, and are the guys wearing the Splinter Cell style visors.

Cloud wears this uniform during the corrected Nibelheim flashback, and wears a costume based on it during the compilation spinoffs.

final-fantasy-vii-real-cloud.png

The 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] class SOLDIERs seem to have a similar colour scheme and overall design, but wear more of a knight’s helmet and usually wield swords.

latest

But there remain a lot of inconsistencies. Some standard infantrymen that you’d think would be rifle wielding people based on their ‘field’ models would sometimes turn out to be ‘grunts’ during the battle screen… And for some reason they move like frogmen and have strange claws and plasma hands… Basically a Super Sentai style grunt enemy….

What we see in battle does not always relate to what we see in action during scenes on the ‘field’ although rifle-carrying infantrymen are still fought and seen in battle too.

With luck the remake might clear up some of this and confirm whether Cloud made it to become a SOLDIER, but I was under the impression that he said that he never made it that far, but was instead an infantryman.

All of that said, for most of the game Cloud is dressed as a 1st class SOLDIER because he is dressed like Zack and has subconsciously created a new identity for himself based on Zack where he did make it to Zack's rank and became a kick-ass SOLDIER. Cloud became an awesome hero in his own right and would deserve the SOLDIER rank, as we see, but I don't think he officially attained that rank.

I might be wrong, but I thought that Cloud was supposed to have been an infantryman for Shinra, rather than a qualified SOLDIER.
The differences in costume are subtle and a little bit inconsistent within the original game.

I think the infantrymen carried machine guns or rifles, and are the guys wearing the Splinter Cell style visors.

I think that sounds about right. In Crisis Core Cloud definitely wears the infantryman outfit with the helmet and the rifle. In the Nibelheim mission with Zack I think he also hides his identity from Tifa because he was ashamed that he didn't make it into SOLDIER.

Not sure if infantrymen were still infused with Mako though.

Cloud was never in SOLDIER, that was just his make believe fantasy. He was actually a common Shinra mook. You know these enemies you fight from the game:

latest

That's what Cloud really was.

Back