Final Fantasy Remasters - Worth getting?

charmy

ShinRa Guard
Gil
Hi all!

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've been contemplating something for a while and was hoping I could get some thoughts.

FFX/X-2 and FFXII have both had HD remasters done and I've been torn between whether or not to purchase them. I have the original games, and enjoyed them as they were but was wondering if it the remastered versions were worth getting?

Did anyone have the originals and purchase the remasters? What did you think?

I played and adored the originals, and subsequently purchased the X/X-2 remasters and was again subject to a little nostalgia and fun as I played through. So personally for me yes, absolutely worth it. I will be getting the XII Remaster as well at some point the not too distant future and of course the long awaited VII Remake as well.

I think this will ultimately come down to (despite ample opinions by the fine folks here) a personal choice. If you enjoyed them and wish to play through again with the subsequent updated graphics (they don't look too bad,) as well as content not all of us saw in the originals then grab them.

I personally love both remasters, for one you get new added stuff while still keeping the integrity of the game. (at least for X-2 and XII) XII has a whole new system, which I would tell you to look up on youtube or something just so you realize it isn't the same setup as the ps2 version. Secondly I think that personally being able to play these games on a newer system instead of constantly setting up the old system (unless you have a ps3 that could play ps2 games) is really helpful, unless you are one that has all your old systems hooked up. In the end though it is your choice, and if you think the extra stuff is worth it or not.

Haven't played the FFXII yet but I'm planning to. In regards to FFX/X-2 I'd say so especially if you live in NA. The remaster adds new content in addition to content that was never released in the NA region. The remaster remasters the music as well but if it turns you off you can just switch it to the original music if you have the PS4 version. If you've enjoyed the originals there is no reason why you shouldn't enjoy the remaster.

If you liked the originals and want to play them again, but better, then yes they're totally worth it. XII even has an option that allows you to speed up the game, lessening the impact of any parts you might not enjoy.

Thanks for the insights! I wasn't sure if the added features would take away some of the feel of the originals. Glad to hear that it doesn't seem to be the case.

Might be getting those remasters afterall :)

I think that personally being able to play these games on a newer system instead of constantly setting up the old system (unless you have a ps3 that could play ps2 games) is really helpful, unless you are one that has all your old systems hooked up.

I kind of do actually ^^; I should probably pack some away but then I keep thinking I might use them.

Thanks for the insights! I wasn't sure if the added features would take away some of the feel of the originals. Glad to hear that it doesn't seem to be the case.

Might be getting those remasters afterall :)

The changes to XII to make it play drastically different, but the core of the experience is still there. And there are strong arguments to be made that the changes actually improve the game overall.

FFX definitely has the weakest changes, but they don't effect any of the existing content... they just add poorly balanced content on top, which is purely optional and easily ignored :)

Well as some have said it really depends on the region you live in, largely when it comes to the FFX/X-2 remaster. If you live in the states then there is decent content added such as the expert sphere grid where everyone can start in the center instead of in particular spots already, leading to more diverse customization how you want the characters to be first off. Also there is the introduction of the dark aeons and another super boss in the calm lands monster arena. For FFX-2 the is the last mission which is a whole new game entirely.

As for 12 they introduce the zodiac license board which puts your party members into specific roles and since you get to choose two boards that stack on top of eachother you have the potential for some decent stacking of abilities like the battle lores to further make someone a tank or magic user, and it also has the speed up option, and then there is also new game plus which is another thing.

As for 12 they introduce the zodiac license board which puts your party members into specific roles and since you get to choose two boards that stack on top of eachother you have the potential for some decent stacking of abilities like the battle lores to further make someone a tank or magic user, and it also has the speed up option, and then there is also new game plus which is another thing.

That's interesting! Thanks for that! I didn't know about the different roles. I'm assuming certain roles may suit certain characters better? Should be fun to explore.

That's interesting! Thanks for that! I didn't know about the different roles. I'm assuming certain roles may suit certain characters better? Should be fun to explore.

Yes, they do. Though the difficulty has been adjusted so that you can't back yourself into a corner just because you pick less favorable jobs for characters or pick jobs that don't go well together... unless you do something stupid like make everyone on your party an Archer/Machinist, lol. The game's not necessarily easier now, so much as it's no longer designed for parties that are masters of every role.

The only remaster I would recommend over the original is FFXII Zodiac Age, and that's because the license board was way too flawed in the vanilla release.

They're absolutely worth getting! I love FFX so I couldn't pass up getting the remastered version of it as well. I'm not even a trophy/achievement person but I wanted nothing than to get a Platinum on it(which I did on the ps3, and I'm working on the ps4 version now). Plus I don't have my PS2 anymore and I wanted an actual physical copy of the game again.
FFXII I feel like I never appreciated because I was too young to comprehend the story line. Now I think I'd like the game alot more. I'll make my way to 'Zodiac Age' eventually.

Back