Build-A-Member
Chocobo Egg
Terra
Yuna
FFXIV
Ellia Lombardia
FFXIV Server
Lamia
The next story content will focus Shiva, Luna and Gentiana, and even Ifrit. It will be entirely free of charge.

FFXV-Update_09-20-17.jpg

GhhDN7e.jpg

8pqXP5v.jpg

dFHfpv9.jpg

bl0NoNr.jpg

A snippet of other content including Episode Ignis and a fishing event were also shown off as part of the new FFXV universe trailer.

Source: Gematsu

So basically they are giving us what we need to see anyway (backstory for Luna, Shiva and Ifrit)...

It's nice that this update will be free. It really would be worth climbing into a crystal-womb and hibernating for a while and then coming back into the world when FFXV is finished for real.

I would say the Ifrit backstory is the most important gap to fill in. This is a universe where the Starscourge is a major thing, as are the lines of Lucis and Fleuret. For some reason, the base game neglects this simple fundamental task of laying the proper contextual groundwork for what happened leading up, during and after this ancient war between deities. Given the historical magnitude of his role, it is remarkable that instead of properly contextualising Ifrit to the player so we as an audience have a sufficient understanding of the events that lead up to the present, they instead relegate him to that of a boss encounter. In the base game, Ifrit feels as important to the overall story as sodding Loqi.

Besides Ifrit, everything else listed above just seems like superficial tosh to me. Shiva taking on the empire in her corporeal form never even crossed my mind as something I want to see. Luna will likely just be moping in the middle of a meadow again about how rotten her destiny is and how she has to make peace with the fact that she may not be able to spend much time with Noctis. Riveting.

It's cool that these story updates are free, but this is little more than applying band-aid patches to multiple gaping close range shotgun bullet wounds. Nothing short of nuking this narrative and rebuilding it wholesale from the atomised carcass remains would be satisfactory, at least in my opinion. And since that's not going to happen, I don't rate my ability to ever be invested in the content of these story updates very well.

Back