Chibi Noctis and Cindy anyone? FFXV Pocket Edition announced for smartphones

OczF6cL.jpg

After yesterday's showcasing of Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition (essentially a 170GB-sized PC version of the game designed for 4k), today at Gamescom 2017 sees another announcement related to Noctis and his retinue. Meet Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition, a smartphone game for iOS, Android and Windows 10 devices you never even knew you wanted!

final-fantasy-xv-pock32sui.jpg

final-fantasy-xv-pock82s8l.jpg

final-fantasy-xv-pockm3sa6.jpg

final-fantasy-xv-pockd3s7y.jpg

This particular mobile game is a retelling of the actual console version of FFXV, but dressed up in this art style that would make the creators of Bravely Default proud. A simplified and intuitive touch-based control system will be utilised, as will a standard episodic structure. The game's story will be told across 10 episodes, but you will be naturally expected to open your wallets up for the full experience. According to the press release, all ten episodes will be available at launch to purchase, with the exception of a freely downloadable first episode.

The game is expected to launch later this year. Now if you excuse me, I'm clearing up some space on my mobile devices for this, because I never even knew I wanted this.

final-fantasy-xv-pockamsle.jpg

final-fantasy-xv-pockqfsgx.jpg

final-fantasy-xv-pockwksy4.jpg

Gematsu

Last edited by a moderator:
Linnaete

Linnaete

I was not expecting a remake this early on! :argor:

This looks... Cute?

Was not expecting this at all so I don't know what to think yet other than that I'm surprised that they have done it!

Oooooh! Interesting! I'm curious to see what elements of the battle system they'll keep. From the video it doesn't look like there's warping from Noctis.

I'm gonna need a new phone....

I was not expecting a remake this early on! :argor:

It's technically a demake, dummy!

Oooooh! Interesting! I'm curious to see what elements of the battle system they'll keep. From the video it doesn't look like there's warping from Noctis.

Gamescom's Twitch page has gameplay of it here.

It's essentially like a standard action RPG mobile game, so it resembles a hack and slasher with special ability buttons on the side, and the occasional screen taps in place of QTE prompts.

4jr57Mr.png

You also have these ground AoE telegraph markers for boss encounters, which is very reminiscent of FFXIV if you've ever played it:

nJSaYL8.jpg

Oh and just for some comparisons:

final-fantasy-xv-updao4sj7.png

vs

ul9F5ij.jpg

final20fantasy201520se9su8.jpg

vs

52DlvZu.jpg

Interesting. I'm willing to bet this was initially created as a way to tap into the Japanese market, which cares only for mobile games at this point... maybe with the hope that they'll then decide they want the full console experience. Not a bad idea.

Back