The Classic console releases by Nintendo is literally a rip off of older emulated consoles

Rakns

Gil
I mean if anything they should have this on a console that is the current gen in terms of downloading old classic games. Its just a shameless money grab. Though i've stopped playing video games now since i need a social life outside it, i like threw away my PS2 and deleted my steam.

But i am sort of glad MEGA64 did a parody on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a heads-up that we do not condone or allow condoning piracy around here. You're free to have your opinions, but please refrain from suggesting piracy in the future.

Carry on!

I kind of agree, and kind of disagree. If we look at things purely in a vacuum, it's actually a good deal. If you imagine that any game pre-GameCube era is worth $5 today as a downloadable game, you're getting a huge deal both with the NES and SNES Classic. The amount of games you get would total over $100 for just the SNES Classic, and $150 for the NES Classic.

That being said, the emulation that they use could use work (it's far better than most other plug and play systems though), and the lack of options for display as well as the short controller cord seem both lazy and almost intentionally inferior to what they could do. That way when they fix it in the next release, it builds extra hype. Nintendo is fully aware of how complex retro games can get in terms of the options people want, and how obvious it is that controllers need longer cords, etc. Let's not pretend they're dumb. So to leave so many simple and obvious options out had to be an active choice. With as often as this happens with Nintendo, I firmly believe they're yanking people around now. It's the same reason why no matter how clear demand for one of their products may be, every single one of them other than games can never meet that demand. They do it on purpose so that people more fervently clamor for their next product, and spend more money on products they know nothing about. They exploit the fact that Nintendo is seen as a wholesome brand, so when that product then has major issues, people brush them off in the fervor. Why else do you think they're charging more for the SNES Classic, despite it having less games? It's not because the games are that much harder to emulate (particularly if we assume they're still half-assing it and stealing emulator assets like they've been proven to do previously). It's because this is the only way to get Starfox 2. They're holding it hostage. Why have Amiibos gotten more expensive despite still using the same tech? Why do they always do extremely limited releases of their hardware or things like the first runs of Amiibos? I could go on, and on, and on.

That's not to say that Nintendo doesn't always just make plain dumb decisions. Why else would they not have announced Ultra Sun and Moon for the Switch? Announce that for like November, announce a bundle that doesn't cost more than a base Switch, and watch them absolutely destroy Sony and Microsoft for the next few months. But nope. Same thing with the Switch not being able to use dual screen capabilities. They totally could've put something other than a $5 converter into the Switch dock, so that it could be used like a Wii U essentially, where both screens display things. That would've not only allowed for pretty sweet DS/3DS ports down the line, but it would've also enabled things like ports of games that really need dual/touch screen capabilities on the Wii U, like Mario Maker. They already used the tech they need in the Wii U! Why abandon it after making so many games reliant on it?

Nintendo makes highly polished games more often than not. And that builds them up a lot of respect. But I think my point here is that they exploit that purposefully in ways that won't get them deserved blame from most fans. I don't think the Classic consoles are a ripoff based on any other plug and play systems being comparatively cheaper or whatever. I don't think it has anything to do with stuff like that. I think the problem is purely that Nintendo has gotten extremely good at knowing where they can be lazy and where they can exploit their customers, which leads to people happily accepting products that aren't as good as they deserve. You don't screw up stuff like antenna placement in your brand new controller design and not realize it through every stage of testing and prototyping... you don't tell people to send it in so you can 'fix it' by putting a freaking piece of foam inside... you don't do stuff like that unless you think you can get away with it without any dangerous backlash. That's where I feel the Classic consoles are kind of a rip off... because we know all of the problems they have like the lack of ability to download new games are choices Nintendo actively makes to give us inferior products that they know most will still be happy with in the end.

Back