The problem with Final Fantasy games is there are too many of them

Rakns

Gil
Like i could end up in the age of 40 by the time i am likely done with the entire series. From 1-15 currently.

I have 12 on PS2 which is kind of cool.

The best advice I can give is to pace yourself if you intend on playing every entry in the series(excluding the mmo titles). Don't grind away on just this series because you'll definitely burn yourself out.

Admittedly, I haven't even played all of the entries. 1-3 I have yet to play and I haven't gotten far into 5. For some reason my disk always freezes when I get into a fight in 5.

There's absolutely no need to play through the entire series and their spinoff entries. It's not like they are all fundamentally connected in terms of a singular lore, world, overarching plot and characters. You can keep to the ones that stand out to you as something that looks worthy of your time, or generally look around for people's broad thoughts on which entries are essential.

Personally, I think you can easily skip the first three games. You can visit them later as fascinating history lessons and get a general idea of how and where the series began, but even with more modern versions, they're rather archaic by design, don't really offer engaging stories and stellar writing, and are mainly forgettable. Well, sans FF2. That one is usually infamous and derided for its game design.

You can also avoid the MMOs too if you wish; they will naturally consume your life anyway if you find yourself too heavily engrossed in them, though particularly in FFXIV's case you can easily experience the main story content in a relatively manageable length of time. It will kind of depend on what class/job you play though, and whether you are able to befriend fellow players willing and able to queue with you for dungeons and boss fights to accelerate the process and make it more expedient.

You could actually argue that that's actually the best thing about the series, because it gives players so many options. Most of the games stand completely on their own, meaning you can pick and choose which to play based on your preferences. It's the consumer's problem if they assume the only way to get a complete experience is to play every game in the series.

And honestly, even then playing them all wouldn't take that long. If you paced yourself and played other games in between, you could probably get 4 done a year, and have all of them done in like 3-5 years. Sounds like a lot, and it is. But again, there's no reason to do that and it's on the player for trying to do so.

Back