How come people think the music is good in FF7

Asieo

Chocobo Breeder
Gil
I just think its sad and depressing. With the exception of fanfare... probably the best in the series. But like literally, everywhere its just sad and says PLEASE KILL ME. Like i dont get how people say the music is the best thing, for me its like suicide. But the overall summonings is what i remembered was the best part about it

I mean maybe people think the quality is overall good because he's famous for 1-6 in the series. Like i am not trying to be mean by saying its bad or anything. I just dont see anything special about it, but its cool if some other find it nice.

Most people think it's good because it's extremely well crafted, fits the tone of the game (and each respective scene/place each song is used in), and because it isn't actually all dark or sad. I'd say a good 70% of it is either happy, angry, curious, smooth, etc. Sure, that leaves 30% as being generally melancholy or dark, but that's kind of the tone of the game. The music fits perfectly, and that's why people like it.

You are right about the soundtrack at times being very sad and melancholic, but it also filled with magic and mystery. As ZaXo says, the soundtrack does its job when it comes to using the music to help set the scene and tell the story. We are made to experience and feel how beautiful the world is with some tracks, with others we are left to experience a sense of dread, and then there are many sad tracks and comic tracks which do their jobs too.

There are also some really upbeat tracks which inspire you to do heroics (Cid's Theme being one of the main ones - though there is a sadness deep in that tune which is easy to tease in the slower, depressing, remix of that track Sending a Dream into the Universe).

I personally find FFVII's soundtrack to be some of Nobuo's finest work.

I agree with Dennis. For me it's up there as one of the best, and the standout tracks are incredible. What you need to think about is the subject matter of the game; clouds identity crisis, the crisis of the planet, death, destruction, betrayal. I personally think the sountrack fits like a glove at almost every point. There are exceptions and some notable tracks I really dislike, though - (mainly the atrocity of honey bee inn theme.. ugh..)

There are some melodies from this game that won't ever leave me, they are great at evoking specific emotions linked with the events going on in game. I'm doing a shoddy job at explaining what im trying to say. There are alot of slower pieces but look at tracks like Crazy Motorcycle, Costa Del Sol, Rufus Welcoming Ceremony and Descendent of Shinobi and tell me these dont bring back some incredible memories and cheer you up. Honestly, i've listened to this OST when i'm down more than once and come out cheerier most times by the end of it :lew:

Although... 'From the Edge of Dispair' is probably what I leave on repeat if I ever decide to pull a Dyne..

The Golden Saucer track does indeed make me want to go loopy sometimes, haha! But I would disagree that it inspires notions such as suicide and depression. It might be dated now, but the music still takes me on the same journey I undertook in 1997. Nostalgic? Definitely! Even if I were somebody that hadn't played the game, I'd still appreciate the music for its diversity and character.

I think Nobuo Uematsu's best works are actually displayed in FFIV. If you haven't, listen to the album Celtic Moon where the FFIV music is reproduced using acoustic instruments.

There are a few reasons why FFVII is perceived to be greater. I like FFVII music too; it's up there at the top of Nobuo Uematsu's work, but I like FFIV even better.

FFVII is probably one of the first FF games with CD quality audio tracks, if not the very first. The output just sounds much better than anything we've heard before in FF. But that's related to how the music is delivered, rather than the quality of the composition.

I think it has to do with what everyone says, the music just fits the game so well for the most part, even the happier stuff like in Golden Saucer fits the tone of that part of the game. Even the characters theme musics are all fitting to the characters, heck Sephiroths theme is one of the best villain musics out there I think, I also think this isn't even one of the most depressing sad FF soundtracks out there, I actually think IX and X have much more sad and very few uplifting songs in them.

In the end though this is all just a matter of opinion and everyone is going have a different opinion.

People find FFVII music to be good because they have poor taste in music. Anyone who enjoys FF music has crappy taste and those that like the game, well, they make me want to puke. It is all crap, the art, the stories, the music, everything ... crap.

Just kidding, to be honest I do not remember the music to FFVII. I don't even think I played the game completely to the end.

Back