Veteran
Gil
Rinoa Heartilly
Squall Leonhart
Tifa Lockhart
Jenova
Moogle
Cactuar
In the Omega reports from Dirge of Cerberus, Chaos is referred to as "Omega's squire to the lofty heavens". For those that never played DoC...

Omega is a Weapon created to protect the Planet from a great threat, Omega serves as a last resort; when all life on the Planet is threatened, Omega is born.
Chaos, another being born with Omega, sends all life to the Lifestream, after which Omega takes the residing and incoming Lifestream into its being.
When finished, it flies into space and from there, the cycle of life begins anew.

With that said, if Chaos can gather all life on the Planet and send them to the Lifestream, does that mean Chaos can also take life back out of the Lifestream? Like how Minerva (physical manifestation of the lifestream) can revive what it chooses.

I don't think so. I think what it's implying is that Chaos kills everything, so that the essence of all life is sent to the Lifestream.

I agree with ZaXo.

Chaos is likely a purely destructive force, albeit being tied to the protagonist Vincent.

Chaos (as in the Greek word Χάος) literally means an empty void or chasm. It is nothingness. Like death, these are negative associations.

Chaos as a recurring concept in Final Fantasy is used as an evil god / supreme superbeing of darkness. With bat-like wings and horns it isn't far off the nightmarish image of Fantasia's Chernabog (damn, the thought of that guy still gives me the creeps).

In Dirge of Cerberus they tried to make Chaos look closer to Vincent in appearance, so to create the impression that the Chaos entity had mingled with Vincent and that they were inseparable at that point.

I think that Chaos' role was to basically destroy everything and send it into the Lifestream so that it could be launched into space by Omega. I don't know if it would have any interest at all in restoring life unless it was to restore a life which would help to destroy more lives (not Sephiroth though as the Jenova cells would pollute the Lifestream). I don't know if it is even in the skill-set of Chaos to revive people from the Lifestream or create life though.

Back