Repetetive Timed Quests?

ArchGator23

Gil
The post game Timed Quests should not be repeatable. You should be prepared for anything, go into the fight(s), earn your score and be done. Do you want to fill the leaderboard with those who have the most play time? or the most skill?

Yup, first time poster. I own (including black label VII) and have finished every FF. Yes even Yiazmat

Black label FFVII is actually far more common than green just so you know. It's that way with most games actually, since games almost always sell most copies within the first week. Just sayin' :P

I agree, though they haven't implemented a way to score for skill anyway. The score per single quest completion is flat, so everyone would be scored the same. Doesn't bother me in the end though, because all you get for being high on the leaderboards is a title card. So it's only really something that someone who would be willing to put enormous amounts of time in would find worth in.

I have another problem with the timed quest. I don't so much care for being on the leaderboard because I'll never be in the first 3000 on the board but points can be earned for prizes like new weapons and potions I can't buy at the point I am in the game. What they don't tell you is when a quest is done and a new one starts all the points you earned to buy items are wiped out - gone - never to be seen again. When they reinstated the timed quests and started it with the fishing quest every hour on the hour, I spent hours to earn enough points to get the sward that cost 1000 points. I had around 650 points when that quest ended and as soon as I completed the first battle of the new quest all those 650 points were gone. I can either spend my time on the main game and DLCs or I can spend it trying to earn points to get the extras that the time quests offer before a timed quest ends and before I loose all my points, I get no where if I try to do both. I would like to see them change the quests in 4 ways: 1. give us back the points that we earned, 2. allow us to earn points for completing a quest, each time we complete a quest but 3. only record the best score of each quest on the leaderboard and 4. give us better clues as to where the timed quest is, the area of some of the timed quest is so large that it's sometimes impossible to find where the quest is. The one where I am now is in the Nebulnwood somewhere. I have tried for 8 hours to find the quest and can't because the circle for where the location is is too big. It's somewhere between Rydielle Ley and Alstor Slough. I have traveled on both sides of the road from where it branches off in a "y" to where the parking spot is and on one side of the road all the way along the fence to the other side along the lakes. I don't know if the quest is a day one or night and I'm wasting time that I could be using playing the game to wander in a grid search to find the quest. These kind of things need to be changed. By the way, was anyone able to complete the quest that was located in the Three Valleys area. I tried, fought for 4 hours finally had to pause it to go to bed before the sun came up then resumed the next day for another 5 hours. Exhausted almost all my potions and only managed to get 1 creature half way down. I finally ran when I ran out of everything. It was either that or see "game over" because I had nothing left.

I'm going to make a few guesses about your situations, since I haven't experienced such issues, nor were any similar issues in the main game.

First, the game makes it pretty clear that the points you get for that specific quest reset when the quest is over. What you do get to keep are your universal quest points (which you only get once per quest, rather than per completion). Since the valuable items are more or less the same between the two categories, there's little reason to grind these quests repeatedly. Just do the quests once as they come up, and move on, I'd say.

Secondly, the quest you couldn't find might have been glitched then. That happened to me in a really small quest area; I just couldn't get the hunt to show up. Unfortunate, but I think the point is, if you're spending anything over twenty minutes looking for a quest and you can't find it, don't keep wandering for another seven and a half hours. Try to find a way to reset the spawn for the hunt, like by fast traveling somewhere far away, saving, resetting, and going back. Not guaranteed to work, but it's better than chasing a hunt that doesn't exist.

Third, are you sure you weren't doing something wrong with that hunt where you exhausted all of your items? What level are you, and what type of tactics are you using? Because if it took you nine hours and you eventually had to run, you're either far too low of a level, you're not using the tactics the designers want you to use, or something to that effect. I can't find anyone mentioning that these quests take anything nearing a single hour, let alone nine.

Both the Prize Exchange and the contest rounds went to zero when I completed the first of the new quests. I don't see any other listing of points so I'm guessing the universal points you're referring to are the Prize Exchange points.

The level I was at was 89 or 90 at the time. I'm at 93 for all the characters except Prompto at 92 now. I came at them with all the strongest techniques - Gladio's Impulse, Ignis' Sagefire and Prompto's Trigger Happy as well as some of Noc's royal arms (the axe since it has the highest attack) and made sure I didn't equip Noc with Tech Turbocharger that freezes the Amiger. When Noc wasn't equipped with the royal arms axe I had him equipped with the strongest weapons I had which is the Thunderbolt Greatsword and the Ultima Blade. Also, I threw at them a Unicast III (248) every chance I got. I gave Prompto the Bioblaster Plus as his secondary, Ignis the Radiant Lance and Gladio with the Hardedge Greatsword (I just realized I have the Genji Blade I should have given it to him instead) and the power shield. I guess I just wasn't doing something right. I didn't have the limit break unlocked at the time so maybe that made a difference. It's good to know that others didn't have that problem. That means I need to look at how I control Noc in a fight and how I utilize the others, try something different. I go through potions because I find it extremely frustrating to have to find a downed man in the heat of battle to physically touch them to heal them so I throw a potion their way to speed things up when I can't find them or get to them in time. I've never relied so heavily on potions before.

That's strange. My Prize Exchange points haven't reset, and (I can't recall where) but somewhere it explains that they stay while the quest points are supposed to reset.

I don't have the limit break abilities, nor do I rely on helping the guys up when they're down; healing items all the way. So that's not the issue. At such a high level (I'm only level 99, since I'm going to wait until I have enough so that I can x3 boost my exp and shoot straight to level 120... and I can do the quests just fine), it's strange to me that you had such trouble.

I do believe I more or less have the best weapons for everyone, which you don't. Buuuut, your weapons also are only marginally worse in reality so that shouldn't mean much either. Although -I can't recall where you get them- but you might try the Zwill Crossblades. They're supposed to be the highest DPS (damage per second) weapons in the game, despite doing lower damage per hit than many of the best weapons in the other categories.

Things I would try:

1. Spam your Armiger any time it's full. I wait until the meter is about half empty, and then I do the 'all in' combo finisher thing.

2. Eat the Lasagna al Forno if you have access to it. Huge boost to HP and such, best boost to your experience any food offers, and I believe it's a favorite of Ignis'. What that means is that his Techniques (when maxed out) are more likely to be the 'gold' version, which boosts the Technique in various ways. If it's not a favorite of his, you might try to use a favorite of his instead.

3. Equip your preferred weapons, all except for one. One should be the crossbow Armiger weapon.

4. Use Ignis' Overwhelm Technique, while you have the crossbow equipped.

5. Watch the enemies drop like flies. It will do a large amount of damage to Noctis as well, but that's nothing a Hi-Potion won't fix.

You don't have to use the crossbow, or even eat a food Ignis' likes. Overwhelm is really powerful on its own. But Golden Overwhelm does constant critical hits, and the crossbow is easily the highest DPS weapon during Overwhelm. And -I don't remember exactly what food it is- but there is also a meal that can make every attack a critical hit, majorly boosting your damage output even when not using Golden Overwhelm. So you could try that instead as well.

Some other tips... umm... some people don't realize, but not all attacks can be dodged by simply holding the dodge button. Many attacks can only be dodged by hitting the button at the right time (similar to a parry) and a very small handful of attacks can only be dodged physically, like by jumping away. So if you're the type of player that just holds dodge when not attacking, that might mean you're taking excess damage you could avoid simply by channeling your inner Dark Souls player and timing your dodges, lol.

Beyond that, one great thing to have equipped on Prompto in his backup slot is actually the Gravity Well. It does the same thing as his Gravisphere technique, but you don't need to waste Technique Points on it.

Hopefully that helps. It's hard to come up with good strategies for XV honestly, since many of the super bosses are just giant, hard hitting, damage sponges, and many of the normal enemies are too chaotic for strategy to mean much. XV's combat really just comes down to maintaining the highest DPS you can, while keeping all of your friends alive. You don't need warps, or spells, or anything like that really... though some spells can be pretty OP (if you have the items to create them), and warping/warp strikes do have their uses. Oh also, in case you aren't aware, cutaway animations like Techniques, using items (with the character cutaways option set to ON in the options menu), etc. will make you invincible while they're happening. So use that to your advantage to avoid damage.

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know that the levels went past 99. The last free form FF game I played was XII (this one reminds me of that one that's why I bought this one in the first place). XII levels maxed out at 99.

I don't use the dodge that often. Instead I use the warp button and turn a dodge into a warp strike. It gets me out of the way and gains me a hit at the same time. I'm not good at the parry. Most times I don't get the timing right. I like the spells because it seems to slow the things down a bit, kills off some of the Imperial Forces if timed just right - just as the last one lands from the ship while they're still in a tight formation, I throw my strongest spell and 9 times out of 10 they all go down.

I don't have the Gravity Well yet. I have the Circular Saw, Auto Crossbow Plus and Bioblaster Plus. When I'm done with the hunt I'm on I'll get the part I need to turn the Circular Saw into a Plus also. I will have to look for the Gravity Well. I must have missed it somewhere along the way.

Secondly, the quest you couldn't find might have been glitched then. That happened to me in a really small quest area; I just couldn't get the hunt to show up. Unfortunate, but I think the point is, if you're spending anything over twenty minutes looking for a quest and you can't find it, don't keep wandering for another seven and a half hours. Try to find a way to reset the spawn for the hunt, like by fast traveling somewhere far away, saving, resetting, and going back. Not guaranteed to work, but it's better than chasing a hunt that doesn't exist.

I finally found those pesky Cactar. All that searching and I never knew the gang could climb those spires above in the Nebulnwood. I was looking for them on the ground when I should have been looking up and climbing up. I just by chance climbed up on some rocks trying to get around and wanted to see if the birds would climb that high. I was half way across one when the timed quest started. All the exploring I've done and I never thought to go up.

XV didn't go past 99 originally. 120 was added in the first major update.

I don't recall where one gets the Gravity Well. I know it's before the start of chapter nine for sure, and I believe it's after chapter four. So maybe you haven't gotten to the place where you pick it up yet.

I just found it last night. I went back to Aracheole Stronghold. I figured it had to be in one of the Strongholds I had defeated since I've revisited everything but the Strongholds multiple times. I checked every building, nook and cranny and found it (along with some soldiers and monster machines I hadn't dispatched the first time around). I lucked out. I started with that one because I was closest to it at the time.

Have you found the Plunderers for Ignis yet? If you haven't climb the arches we always see above us in certain areas. I never knew they could be climbed until the last timed quest. The creature was on the top of them. Just do a save before climbing. I went up them with a bird and when I jumped down the end of one I fell in a crevice and couldn't get out, had to restart from last save point. After the Plunderers are upgraded to Plunderers II they still have less power then the Orichalcum but they drain power like the Drain Lance.

I thought I was done with being frustrated by these timed quest, but I'm not. The newest one (Dread Behemoth) has a restriction on it that you have to be at Chapter 15 or greater to complete it. I'm not there yet so I'm stuck either rushing through the game to reach that point to complete the quest or waiting for this round of quests are done and a new series of quests start. I know were not close to this series being complete because there is no new date. Anyone else in the same boat?

I thought I was done with being frustrated by these timed quest, but I'm not. The newest one (Dread Behemoth) has a restriction on it that you have to be at Chapter 15 or greater to complete it. I'm not there yet so I'm stuck either rushing through the game to reach that point to complete the quest or waiting for this round of quests are done and a new series of quests start. I know were not close to this series being complete because there is no new date. Anyone else in the same boat?

I think that these time quests might start cycling soon. It's a fairly new concept. The Dread Behemoth popped up as a single timed quest about a month or so ago for a week and then vanished. Now it appears to be back.

I'm sure that many of these time quests will return at an unannounced date in the future. Square-Enix are just playing with different combinations at the moment, I think, in order to define what they think timed quests should be moving forward.

In the mean time I'm stuck. Until I complete this quest, I can't progress on to another time quest in this series. A month ago I was on the fishing quest.

Have you found the Plunderers for Ignis yet? If you haven't climb the arches we always see above us in certain areas. I never knew they could be climbed until the last timed quest. The creature was on the top of them. Just do a save before climbing. I went up them with a bird and when I jumped down the end of one I fell in a crevice and couldn't get out, had to restart from last save point. After the Plunderers are upgraded to Plunderers II they still have less power then the Orichalcum but they drain power like the Drain Lance.

Yeah, I've already got the Plunderers I believe. Regardless, I'm sure I've also got something stronger. I had to finish all of the major quests for the review I did on YouTube, so I got some pretty strong stuff from the post-game which trumps most other stuff I have, even if just by a little.

Those darn things are back again. The Tyaneants. I thought I put down one of them (twice). I did not see a health meter any more. I turn my back to tackle the other one and the first goes and regenerates! :eyeroll: I'm not as strong of a player as most so it takes me a little longer to put down big beasts. These things have got on my last nerve. I'm determined to beat these things if it's the last thing I do (and the way things are going it been the last thing I do 4 times).:hmph:

Yeah, I think I'm done with those harder timed quests. Seems the XV team's idea of 'difficulty', is enemies that you spend 75% of your time in the item menu when fighting, because they one-shot you and your team members constantly. It's tedious, extremely poorly designed, and lasts far too long unless you have a very particular setup. I'd rather fight Yiazmat or Hell Wyrm from FFXII, and those fights are utter garbage; some of the worst in the series (to say nothing about the excellence of the game as a whole of course), and yet some of XV's superbosses are far worse. Actually, most are.

Also, I have grown to loathe the song they picked for timed quests.

Back