Build-A-Member
Accessory (Head)
FFXIV
Polyphemos Bromios
FFXIV Server
Moogle
Free Company
KupoCon
Dogs have appeared as allies in a handful of Final Fantasy titles. Sometimes they appear in battle to aid their owners, or sometimes they serve the player in some other way.

Which canine companion is your favourite, and why?

To aid your memories:

Interceptor (owned by Shadow, FFVI)

latest

Angelo (owned by Rinoa, FFVIII)

Daigoro (owned by Yojimbo, FFX)
latest

Umbra (owned by Lunafreya, FFXV)

Pryna (owned by Lunafreya, FFXV)

Others:
(For example....
Dog Day.jpg
)

Woof woof! Discuss!

Out of the more set choices, I'd go with Angelo. I love that little guy and wish he had more screentime within the plot rather than mainly just as a battle mechanic.

However, I've gone for Other. More specifically, Bandersnatch from FF9. I mean, it is a dog right? Bah! Either way, I love the design of it and how bloody freaky it looks :lew:.

Angelo.

No other dog can sit on a wrist launcher weapon and be fired at an enemy like a frisbee to inflict a tonne of damage AND live to easily do it again. And also to heal. I don't exactly know how Rinoa went about training Angelo into doing this and what any (ir)responsible adult was thinking at the time, but I want whatever it is they were smoking.

Enkidu, because he's what turns the final fight with Gilgamesh in FFXII into a nail bitingly intense affair.

For my least favorite, I'm gonna go with the dog in FFVII that is guarding the way to the red submarine, in the underwater reactor. Spent so much damn time trying to figure out how to get past him...

FINAL FANTASY VII_20170309193502.jpg

Angelo, by far. :mokken:

Second choice would be Interceptor.

Also, Gilgamesh had a dog called Enkidu? Wow, that's insulting to the myth that inspired this character. :eek:

What about Red XIII?

I considered including him but ultimately decided against it since he is a unique species (an odd hybrid of a lion and a wolf) rather than a true dog.

You might have a different interpretation and can count him as 'Other' on the poll if you wish to vote for him. :)

Angelo, by far. :mokken:

Second choice would be Interceptor.

Also, Gilgamesh had a dog called Enkidu? Wow, that's insulting to the myth that inspired this character. :eek:

Not really. Several interpretations of the myth represent Enkidu as part animal, raised by animals, the master of all animals, etc. He is seen as an equal to Gilgamesh, and his closest companion. Enkidu in XII is extremely strong, and is represented as what's most commonly viewed as the most loyal form of animal; a dog. If anything, Gilgamesh's portrayal as an incompetent goofball in the series is less accurate.

It has to be between Interceptor and Angelo, and I think Angelo was just a little bit more useful as it came out more often I think, and Interceptor came out when I never needed him too :mokken: (still was cool though)
Overall I have to vote for Angelo

Interceptor, just the way he runs across on screen and goes " bark, bark " ! and bites the enemy is really cute.

Angelo hands down. I would go with Daigoro because I love Yojimbo. Angelo is way more useful though.

I have added Torgal (Final Fantasy XVI) to this list.

Early days and everything, but I anticipate that some people might want to vote for him when this game releases because he looks like he'll be a very good boy in the game.

And he is to be a party member for part of the game.

FV03UZKXoAEE_m8.jpg
FFXVI_MediaKit_03.jpg

I kinda hope I end up liking Torgal, but I have to say that my expectations for FFXVI is kinda low right now, so I'm okay voting for-

Wait a minute. Red XIII totally counts as a dog now! :mokken:

I'm not super crazy about the other dogs in the series? Angelo for sure was the best official dog for me though. I think if we had a FFVIII Remake (not that I'm saying I would or wouldn't like one) that Angelo would be a great addition to the game even if just being a silent part of the group, though I'm not sure how ideal that would be with gameplay. I'm guessing she wouldn't be an option to use when you first board the Ragnarok though because... you know... space. But design-wise I love her, and I'm sure she's the bestest doggy, yes she is, yes she- :jess:

okay, anyway, I joke about Red XIII, but seriously I love his character & really look forward to seeing him in the next Remake installment. Of all the animals/monsters/whatever you want to classify him as, I think he's my favorite. But as far as dogs and this thread go, it's gotta be Sant' Angelo di Roma.

Back