Veteran
Gil
Rinoa Heartilly
Squall Leonhart
Tifa Lockhart
Jenova
Moogle
Cactuar
http://gematsu.com/2017/02/new-king...ntasy-vii-remake-screenshots-shown-magic-2017

pz0NZmH.jpg

aUl0ls5.jpg

all aboard the hype train

also, look how magic AND materia are there... how strange

Same screens in higher quality:

C441lz7WAAAzO_I.jpg:large

C441-rvWYAAKERO.jpg:large

Don't put too much stock on the UI shown, because it's apparently still placeholder.

It looks just like FFXV.

It looks just like FFXV.

Yeah, if you just stop at the surface. But there are a lot of interesting things going on there. Early HUD or not, it still tells us quite a bit about the design ideas they may be going for.

1. As already mentioned, Magic and Materia are separated for some reason. Unless Materia now serve a different role in combat, the only reason for this I can think of is that you can maybe switch to different Materia setups on the fly. Maybe Materia more drastically effects stats than before, meaning you can essentially create different 'jobs' and swap in and out of them.

2. Also as already pointed out, there's an ATB gauge. Could this mean combat control is more limited than people initially assumed? After all, we're the ones that made the assumption that it would be an action RPG. Square has simply said that they aren't using the same traditional turn-based design as the original. This could actually play more like Lightning Returns or something, where it's a strange hybrid between free movement/auto movement, action and turn-based.

3. Going along with that, there's the "Press Triangle", Lvl. 1 icon near the ATB gauge. Maybe the game is indeed more action oriented, and the ATB gauge is instead used purely as a cooldown for limit breaks. Limits could almost serve as 'combo finishers' in a sense, where you perform combos with normal attacks, and use a limit at the end.

4. The limit gauge has multiple segments. Does this mean you have access to multiple limits at a time, or just more powerful versions of the single limit you have equipped?

5. I find it really interesting that the HP levels seem extraordinarily high when compared to MP. But what's more, they're fighting the first boss with such stats. Is this just an alteration to the stats to accommodate for higher end-game HP levels, or does that boss actually come later in the current build?

6. Other interesting things include the boss health bar being different from the smaller, yellow bar overlaid on him. And yet the Shinra soldier has just a yellow health bar. Does that mean the boss has some sort of health system for separate appendages? And then there's the L1/R1 things on Command. Is this for switching characters? Or does it potentially have other menus for something?

Obviously, most of this could be nothing more than potential ideas they're testing at the moment. All of it could be completely reworked or scrapped. But since these aren't tailored screenshots designed for mass consumption, they're unlikely to have faux HUD elements that are there just to build intrigue; most of this is likely used as part of a partially function idea.

Is it possible that we can have action RPG and ATB? :hmmm:

I can understand why that had to dial back Barret's borderline-stereotypical ebonics speech, but why did they need to give him sunglasses in a city with no sunlight?

I can understand why that had to dial back Barret's borderline-stereotypical ebonics speech, but why did they need to give him sunglasses in a city with no sunlight?

Barret is an odd one. They can never settle on how to depict him.

Originally Barret was inspired by 80s action icons like B. A. Baracus (Mr. T). It looks like they are trying to distance themselves from that association this time... By turning him into Blade!

It's unnecessary, but not as bad as his Advent Children costume when they dressed him up like a rapper.

Have you seen Cloud's Buster Sword shine and reflect light in the trailer ? Barret might've gotten it right in eye before the bombing mission.
:tearjoy:

Advent Children Barret was just one of the most early-2000s things ever simply because of the random cornrows hairstyle. I guess Nomura's take on the character depends on what he's seen on TV as the quintessentially cool look for a black dude depending on what decade it is?

Advent Children Barret was just one of the most early-2000s things ever simply because of the random cornrows hairstyle. I guess Nomura's take on the character depends on what he's seen on TV as the quintessentially cool look for a black dude depending on what decade it is?

Well this time some guy named Roberto Ferrari is doing the character designs.

Back