[V3] Last Movie You've Seen

Six

𝗦𝗼𝗹𝗶𝘁𝘂𝗱𝗲 *★.• ·
Staff member
Admin Support
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
Discuss the last movie you have seen. A suggested format could be something like this:

Movie Title:
Rating:
Comments:
Score: 0/10

Please try not to post too brief a post, but try and make your post somewhat informative and explanatory. It makes for more fun and a better sharing of movie information. Others might even decide to try out a movie based on your critique.

(Because I can't for the life of me find this thread in this section) Leeeeet's go!

Movie Title: Moana
Rating:
PG
Comments:
Funny movie. I love films that have comedic relief characters... Heihei... I mean what even. :lew: Legit lols. I think the story was fine, even though I feel that with the recent Disney movies things can seem a bit rushed. I wouldn't be able to watch this movie too often, but once in a while... definitely. Just... the lol moments. :lew:

Score:
7.5/10

Movie Title:Logan
Rating: R
Comments:

Logan does for superhero movies what The Last of Us did for zombie games.

It is exceptionally gritty and brutal, but it is also a film which favours character development, relationships, and exploring its themes (of responsibility, fragility and the impermanence of life), far above the flashy action sequences which the superhero genre usually demands. Every scene helps to tell the story, and everything unnecessary has been cut. Logan is a grounded take on Wolverine which doesn't require previous familiarity with the X-Men franchise.

The action sequences are certainly present, so don’t be disappointed there. In fact they are brilliant, largely because of the choreography of the fight scenes, but also because each fight scene actually means something. The violence isn’t gratuitous. You are forced to feel each blow (to the 'good guys' or 'bad guys') and consider that violence has very real consequences.

Being R-rated didn’t only allow them to depict realistic violence, but it also enabled them to tell a more adult story without being held back by a family-friendly superhero plot. Logan is a much slower paced film than other movies in the X-Men franchise, but that is a great thing as they are able to take you on the emotional journey that is at this film’s core. It is not a superhero movie or action movie. It is a very personal story about a weakened Wolverine and an aging 90-something Professor Xavier, and the young girl they encounter.

If you have seen an X-Men film in the past, you must know that the quality of Logan far surpasses all of those movies, in my opinion. This is the Wolverine movie which people have hoped for.
You don’t need to be familiar with the other X-Men films to be able to enjoy this movie. It is set in 2029 and only makes brief allusions to the previous films. Those allusions that are made are meaningful, and no time is wasted on cheap fan service.

I don’t want to write a long review here but I absolutely must applaud the superb and powerful performances from all of the actors. Even though we’ve seen Hugh Jackman play Wolverine in about 8 other movies, and we’re acquainted with Patrick Stewart’s Charles Xavier, these actors are able to portray versions of their characters remarkably differently than we’ve ever seen them. They feel fresh (or, rather, ailing and vulnerable), and yet the core essences of their characters remains intact. Newcomer Dafne Keen is only about 11 years old and her performance as Laura is incredible. You’d often expect a child character to get irritating after a while. This is never the case with Laura who holds your attention, awe, and respect throughout the movie.

I’m close to giving it 10 out of 10 because at this stage (after two viewings) I cannot find a flaw in the film at all. I might find one eventually, but I can’t at the moment.

I suggest that you go and see it if you haven’t already!

Oh! And the soundtrack is really quite great!

Score: 9.9999/10 (subject to change in the future once I've calmed down).

Logan is a fantastic film. I'm hoping that and Deadpool lead on to X-Men titles that are just as good, if not better, because so far they're the only two really good films in that universe. :hmmm: I mean, X-Men First Class showed a lot of promise but then went terrible with Days of Future Past and Apocalypse. Patrick Stewart was as great as ever as Xavier, but it was a shame that we didn't get to see more of Stephen Merchant as Caliban.

Anyway...

Movie Title: Kong: Skull Island
Rating:
PG-13
Comments:
I really enjoyed this film for the cinematic experience, but I'd still place this in the same category as all those other blockbuster popcorn-flicks... probably at the top of the pile though because it was still good enough to stand head and shoulders above the rest. Being a shared universe film, it did a good job setting up Kong ready for future films and the action was pretty epic, even if a hefty portion of it was kinda spoiled in the trailers. Overall, it was a good film but I wouldn't say it was amazing.
Score:
7/10

Movie Title: Lights Out
Rating:
PG-13
Comments:
Decent "horror" film, though I'd genuinely categorise it under Thriller myself.The overall storyline has good potential, but I feel like the ending (as many other movies) was rushed. Like literally could've been done in the beginning of the movie and the whole issue could've been solved in 5 minutes.
Score: 6/10

Movie Title:
10 Cloverfield Lane
Rating:
PG-13
Comments:
Again, pretty good film from start to almost the end. The ending of this movie made me question where the hell that even came from, but I guess I should've looked closer at the genre. Google lied to me with it being a Horror film. Definitely has it's "scary moments" but... the ending was like wot? And again, the ending of this movie seemed extremely rushed too.
Score: 6/10

Movie Title: The Boy
Rating:
PG-13
Comments:
Quite liked this one, the ending in this film made a lot more sense. I wish it would've played out a bit more, but I have no doubt there will be a The Boy II, or whatever. :lew: It was a nice surprise seeing Lauren Cohan (MAGGIIEEEE - TWD) in here. Great actress. Certain bits seemed a bit random, but I guess were necessary to progress. Good one.
Score: 7.5/10

Movie Title: Transformers: The Last Knight
Rating: PG-13

Comments: I enjoy watching every minute of this movie. It had tons of action in it as well as some funny scenes which made the movie worth watching. Although there were a few things that I didn't like at the ending that I found to be completely BS, it is still a good movie.

Score: 9/10

Movie Title: The Jungle Book (2016)
Rating:
PG
Comments:
Genuinely liked it! I'm a fan of Disney's Jungle Book, and this one didn't let me down. Still love Bagheera! Badass little panther, you. Shame Kaa didn't really have a huge role in this film, would've been funny.
Score:
8/10

Movie: Wonder Woman (2017)
Rating: PG-13
Comments: I spent the first 45 minutes of the movie waiting for something but I couldn't figure out quite what it was. Then, I realized I was waiting for something interesting to happen. Pacing was just bad. Except for the climax, the action sequences kinda felt like they came out of nowhere which was kinda jarring. And Gal Gadot is absolutely stunning looking and is probably the epitome of a sweetheart in real life but she just can not act. Also, I think they mixed up mythologies because they for some reason basically turned Ares into Satan in this movie. Anywho, not a terrible movie but I've no intention of seeing it again.
Rating: ...Eeeeehhh/10

I saw Black Swan tonight. Lemme just get it out of the way and say it. Phew :kinky:

(I had to use that smiley shhh)

Movie Title: Black Swan
Rating: uhhh MA15+

Comments: Admittedly I put off watching this for the longest time because I saw the ballet in previews or whatever and thought it was gonna be a chick flick. Boy was I wrong. It was actually really interesting! Kinda makes me wanna watch American Psycho again hmmm.
Score: 8.9/10

Is it just me or is this thread underused these days? We're still only on one page!
I could have sworn I'd posted about Infinity War somewhere here, but clearly not.

Anyway I've seen A LOT of films since my last update. I'll just do what I'm told and post the last movie I've seen.

Movie Title: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
Rating: 12a
Comments:

I've seen this film twice. On my first viewing I enjoyed it but felt like it could have been better and I didn't think much about it afterwards.

On my second viewing the other night I was really, really into it and have been thinking about the film quite a lot since. Its plot is far more complex than Jurassic World's plot. It is also far less of a family film (although families might still enjoy it). The moral dilemma and ethical debate which the characters face is a very appropriate one, and revists many of the themes laid out in the first film / novel.

I was pleasantly surprised to see some plot twists in this movie too as I was furious with the trailers for revealing too much of the movie already. I was happy there was something left unseen (although I pieced the big plot twist together myself using the clues provided as foreshadowing earlier on in the film)!

It was surprisingly very suspenseful too... The opening scene has to be the best opening scene since the original Jurassic Park's famous opening. There are many genuinely tense moments in enclosed spaces which were executed excellently with a clever use of darkness (with flashes of lightning or other sources of illumination intermittently revealing the shapes of carnivorous theropods as they approach) combined with a very fitting musical score.

They did, however, scatter silly (almost slapsticky) Indiana Jones-style moments into the movie too. These moments were not enough to ruin the overall atmosphere, and they didn't destroy the tension in a jarring way. Plus Chris Pratt can pull off scenes like that in a forgivable way.

I like that they used more animatronics in this film too. Jurassic World only had one, I believe.

Score:
7.7/10
This seems generous, and perhaps it is. On my first viewing I would have given it a 6/10. Something about the second viewing changed my opinion. I guess I mainly liked how dark this movie is compared to Jurassic World.
With a few tweaks and some of the other surprises retained for the movie rather than the trailer then it would have made it to 8/10 or higher.

Side note:
Not directly related to the film itself, but if anybody loves the Jurassic Park franchise and is interested in its lore, check out the Dinosaur Protection Group website.

It is the marketing website for Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, but they've created it as a real website for the Dinosaur Protection Group activists. There is a lot of information up there about all of the known dinosaurs in the Jurassic Park franchise, what happened to Isla Sorna, etc. It fills in the plot holes in various films and makes JP as cohesive as it can be now.

The guys behind it did a great job!

http://www.dinosaurprotectiongroup.com

Movie title: Collateral

Rating: 15 or 18...can't remember.

Comments: I watched some of the Bourne Identity at work recently and the music and overall feel of the movie just reminded me of this film - Jamie Foxx stars as a taxi driver who's in the doldrums, living through the eyes of his customers etc. Tom Cruise enter his taxi as a professional 'shit-hot' hitman who forces him to drive around as he performs hits. What's amazing about the film is the relationship that forms between them, Foxx hates him for who he is etc, but at the same time he also is enjoying the thrill of it all. Tom also forms a bond in which he can relate to the same solitude that Foxx has.

The choreography of the shooting scenes is simply put...incredible; nothing is overdone, hardly any flashy camera shooting or anything. (something I hate about modern films) The end club shootout is certainly worth watching even if you don't plan on seeing the film. The music fits perfectly with every scene too, with scores and covers from Klazz Brothers and James Newton Howard. Overall one of the best action thrillers I've seen....and I've watched many.

Score: 9.1/10

:monster:

Movie Title: First Man
Rating: 12a
Comments:
I wasn’t expecting much but I thought it was rather brilliant.

You really get a sense of the extreme risk and cost of NASA’s Gemini and Apollo programs… While the astronauts and engineers knew better than anyone what they were doing, they still didn’t really know what they were doing or what could go wrong. Various things could have gone wrong at any moment (and they did, several times). It was trial and error. People died in the attempt. To finally achieve it and land on the moon (our planet’s most prominent celestial object and a source of wonder for humankind for aeons) has been such a huge achievement. The younger generations such as my own take it for granted that people did it (or didn’t, for those who entertain the conspiracies!) and that nothing comparable has ever been achieved in terms of manned missions… So far.

A moment needs to be taken to really think about the sheer determination the Apollo team had to get people on the freaking moon. This film gives you that opportunity to reflect, and they take their time with several scenes in order to let the magnitude of it all sink in.

The music really, really helps too. A beautiful use of the theremin (the weird sciencey antenna-based instrument) adds an otherworldly element to the score which is even more appropriate considering that Neil Armstrong was apparently a fan of the theremin as well.

The main criticism I would have of the film is the use of the handheld camera for more scenes than was necessary. The result is really disorientating so I don’t recommend seeing this movie if you are feeling ill. The handheld works for all of the space scenes, and even many scenes on land, but they even use it during domestic scenes… It is very difficult to focus on the faces of the characters while they are talking because the camera is wobbling. I think I understand why the director made that choice, because it makes the film look like a home video and therefore a more intimate examination of Neil Armstrong’s life… But the first half an hour or so of the film was quite unpleasant because of it. Eventually my eyes adapted and I really loved it.

Score: 8.5/10

Last edited:
Movie Title: Stan and Ollie
Rating: PG
Comments:
This is a brilliant film about the final days of Laurel and Hardy. It depicts the harshness of the struggle to remain relevant, as well as the personal issues and close friendship between the pair.

I’ve never felt so sad while smiling before. Both Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly were able to channel Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy perfectly in both their mannerisms and appearance.

If anyone likes Laurel and Hardy and is familiar with them, they should really appreciate this film.

Movie Title: Anabelle Comes Home
Comments: I quite enjoy watching this movie. There were a few parts where I got scared do to an unexpected reaction. It is rare for me to watch a horror movie and instantly get scared. It definitely had that intense horror feeling to it, which is hard to find in a horror movie now days.

Movie Title: The Lion King (remake)
Comments:
It does capture a lot of the magic of the original film, but it doesn’t replace it. It serves as a fairly enjoyable tribute to it. Some aspects are even given new life (the jungle scenes are given some new side-characters) but it loses out with some others.

In a few cases they only included little bits of songs rather than the whole thing. This fits the tone of this version of the movie, but it left me wanting to search YouTube for the original versions later in order to scratch that itch. There were also some scenes which the realistic animation couldn’t accommodate, but they did the best that they could within these limitations.

While no replacement for Jeremy Irons, the new Scar (Chiwetel Ejiofor) was still very good. Scar remains one of my favourite Disney villains.

Score: 7/10

I'm not sure. 7/10 might be harsh as I did enjoy it. I think it was a great experience (a bit like going to see the stage version of The Lion King) and can be viewed as a nice thing in its own right without endangering the position the original film holds in a lot of our minds. Let's say 7.5 or 7.8 or something instead....

Movie Title: Secret Obsession
Rating: TV-14
Comments: Avoid this movie, honestly. Main character has no depth and makes the dumbest decisions ever. This movie had some potential to be really good, but the direction right from the beginning really falls flat—and that’s putting this nicely. Shit doesn’t even make sense! The only thing I approve of here is bobby pin - the smartest of them all.
Score: 1/10

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Six
Movie Title: Inside Out

Rating:
PG

Comments:
Ahhh, lovely film, really. The way I stumbled across this film is rather funny, but story for another time. It definitely doesn’t make me think it’s a “kids movie” either. The story is definitely thought out, paced nicely, with some comedic relief (hello Anger and Panic). Some parts Actually make me emotional, random but true.

Score: 8/10

Movie Title: The Terminator: Dark Fate
Comments: I really enjoy watching this movie. It had tons of action from the start all the way to the end, which is what I like the most about this movie. I am a big fan of action movies and this one definitely was one of the best action movie I've seen this year.
Score: 9/10

Movie Title: Klaus

Released: 2019 (Netflix)

Score: 9.8/10

A true selfless act always sparks another.

A unique and original reimagining of the Santa Claus origin story that, at its core, is stunning. It carries a beautifully subtle balance of themes: love and loss, hope and despair, selfishness and generosity; none of these themes feel forced simply to move the storyline along and has clearly been designed and created by people who have a real passion and love for the film - at its lowest points, the film is heartbreaking and at its highest points, delightful. At all points, it feels relatable and at times, emotionally raw; there's nothing 'magical' or 'otherworldly' about the characters, they are just people who have had to drag themselves up from the very bottom. SPA Studios did a phenomenal job at emphasising the origin of Santa Claus, whilst never actually acknowledging Klaus as Santa Claus.

The animation is staggering, just staggering. I could not recommend a better animated film, certainly this year, than Klaus. Whilst there are some aspects of the film that are developed through 3D technology such as advanced lighting and shading techniques, the vast majority is a real throwback to 2D animation. The development and creation of the Klaus artwork is potentially a huge game changer for animation moving forward.

The only bad point about Klaus is that it has been terribly marketed by Netflix. I hadn't even heard of it until my fiancée kept pushing me to watch it having now seen it herself, three times. The trailer does no justice to the film either, it's a horribly 'in your face' Christmas-cliché trailer when, as a matter of fact, the film is heartwarmingly tender.

I'm not one for gushing over Christmas films as at best they're usually no more than pleasant and at worst, uninspired clichés. However, Klaus breaks the mould as a genuinely special film. I could honestly run out of superlatives to emphasise how brilliant I thought this film to be.

Klaus also contains a very pleasant piano rendition of its main theme song, Invisible, and the sweetest of characters, Margu.

Movie Title: Star War The Third Gathers: The Backstroke of the West
Rating: ??? (but based on the language and implied sexual tones, probably not intended for families)
Comments:
This was ultimately a less confusing film than Cats.
It completely transforms Revenge of the Sith into something quite unrecognisable, yet hilarious. Anakin becomes 'Allah Gold', Padme becomes 'Plumb Of', and Obi-Wan becomes 'Ratio Tile'. This is the story of the end of the Hopeless Situation and the rise of the West. I still don't know what elephants had to do with anything.

If you disliked Vader screaming 'Nooooo!' in the original, this is the film for you. Now he screams 'Do not want!'

It does suggest a few interesting things about the translation process (and untranslation process) and how things can lose all meaning if you toss them through a translation machine a few times.

Back