Other Dragon Knights?

Tiberius

Gil
Do we ever find out if there are any other dragon knights besides Sir Fratley and Freya? And what do we know about the Dragon Knights? And are all/most soldiers of Burmecia Dragon Knights, or are they a special order?

Also, somewhat related, do we ever find out of there is a King/ruler of Cleyra? I know there is one of Burmecia, but I don't remember actually who is in charge in Cleyra. Thanks in advance!

All the soldiers of Burmecia are dragon knights as far as I remember. The ruler of Cleyra was a priestess that was in the Temple that was dressed fancier than the dancers. Forget what they call her though and they never gave her an actual name.

The Burmecians remain mysterious to the player because we see them in a state of decline. Gizamaluke's Grotto is attacked. Burmecia itself is attacked and laid to waste before the player is able to see it at its prime.

Cleyra is the place that we see in better condition (for a short while...), but that is a very atypical settlement for Burmecians. What we know about the Burmecians is that they were a warrior based civilisation, but over time there emerged a group of Burmecians who held a different ideology: pacifism. The pacifist Burmecians moved out of Burmecia and founded Cleyra. Cleyran pacifism might have been religiously motivated (due to the importance of oracles, a cathedral, and rituals, etc, in Cleyra). For this new ideology to survive the Cleyrans had to protect themselves with an impenetrable sandstorm since they lacked a military force.

At Cleyra I very much doubt that there were Dragon Knights. Lances and jumping, etc, were translated from their purposes in war into ritual dances instead, it seems.

But the Burmecians of Burmecia itself remained a warrior society. I'm not sure if every Burmecian warrior became a Dragon Knight. Some artwork and in-game character models suggest that some Burmecian soldiers carried short swords or daggers.

Burmecian_Male_FFIX_Art.jpg

But I would say that the Dragon Knights might be a prestigious (but not uncommon) order. Perhaps every soldier in Burmecian society (and, I guess, most citizens) would aspire to rise to the rank of a Dragon Knight.

Burmecian culture revolves around dragoons and spears / lances to an extent. Take a look at some of the statues in Burmecia and you'll see spear-wielders.

Look at this artwork for example:

Burmecia_FFIX_Art_1.jpg

9dd8115b13a37d61b26e7631eb0857ff.jpg

There are other statues holding swords as well, but the lance/spear holds a particular significance to them. Swords were perhaps universal and every race's thing, but spears/lances were their thing.

So my answer would be that there are (or were - before the Alexandrian forces attacks decimated them) other Dragon Knights apart from Freya and Sir Fratley. They were not uncommon, but they were highly skilled, highly valuable, and held highly respected status among the Burmecians.

That's my take on it.

-

As for a ruler of Cleyra... I do not believe that we are ever informed of this. The king of Burmecia steals the scene a bit. I should guess, perhaps, that the Oracle is leading the community. That would make sense if we follow the interpretation that Cleyra has set itself up as a sacred sanctuary of peace, and that a religious order split from Burmecia rather than there being a division in the royal family.

Thank you both for the reply. It seemed like the title of Dragon Knight was something that held enough esteem that it was a mark of achievment if nothing else. Though I assumed they were something different from the usual Burmecian soldier, similar to Knightly Orders in other settings. Really a shame we don't get to hear more about them.

Very nice explanation of the Clerya and Burmecian relationship. I hadn't thought that they re-purposed the warlike symbols into peaceful ones.

Back