"The Avengers Project" announced; SE & Marvel collaborate on multiple game projects

avengers-project-se-a1rbvg.jpg

Marvel is hard at work cultivating a video games initiative project, with the aim to build a strong portfolio of high-quality games based on their successful comic book and movie properties. Insomniac is already developing a new Spider-Man for PS4 and Telltale Games is working on a Guardians of the Galaxy game. Now it's Square Enix's turn, enjoying a new multi-game partnership with Marvel. To spearhead this collaborative project, the company announced on Twitter that an Avengers game is in development.

The game is currently handled by both Crystal Dynamics (known as of late for their 2013 reboot Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider games) along with Eidos Montréal (who have recently made Deus Ex: Mankind Divided).

In Marvel's own words:

The Avengers project is being designed for gamers worldwide and will be packed with all the characters, environments, and iconic moments that have thrilled longtime fans of the franchise. Featuring a completely original story, it will introduce a universe gamers can play in for years to come.

Square Enix promises further information in 2018. No indication of platform or even a genre has been given.

Nova Crystallis

Linnaete

Linnaete

This should be very interesting. I think previous ventures at Marvel games have been pretty poorly designed. There has been no hooks to keep anyone intrigued in a sense.

As far as an Avengers game, I wonder if SE will try for a MMO. This would be a monumental feat but would be every comic book nerd's dream (including myself). If this is single player, I expect the same hack and slash and then maybe some of the mechanics of Deus ex.

Though let's be honest, with any huge announcement I've seen, the hype has been way behind the size of the game. And right now, the game hasn't even been mind mapped yet enough to know the direction.

I hope it is a good RPG game, a little like Ultimate alliance. Square-Enix could really do wonders on this depending on how much control they will have with which characters. As long as it isn't just a Movie game deal thing... which it sounds like it isn't so should be ok.

The bit about a "universe gamers can play in for years to come" rings multiplayer, or at least some kind of persistent online game built on the games-as-a-service model. It would fall in line with Square Enix's current initiative to invest more into games of that category, particularly in response to games of late such as Destiny and The Division. Or who knows. It could be a Civil War scenario in a game format inspired by Overwatch, but one that has a story narrative.

Announcing a game so early that they gave literally next to no details of is so quintessentially Square Enix and so pointless. More information in 2018, they said. :eyeroll: Unless this was Marvel's idea, and we know Marvel has an announced schedule of MCU movies in the pipeline all the way up to 2020 even if most of them haven't started principal photography yet.

Back