Final Fantasy Throwback

TattooArtist

Gil
This thread is literally just for remembering those past Final Fantasy games, what was your first Final Fantasy game and did you like it? why? My first FF game was Final Fantasy III, which I LOVED and lured me into the series. So I then back tracked and played I and II which I also loved. But what was YOUR first FF game?

Final Fantasy VII. It was the first time I realized a game could tell a real, serious story. That one day where I saw my friend playing it changed the course of my entire life. I can still remember the exact feeling I had when I first saw it. Granted, it'd be another year or so before I began to play the game correctly. Got 2/3 the way through it by running away from basically every encounter I could. The snowball just continued to grow, since slowly becoming more underpowered only lead to me wanting to run even more, lol. Eventually though, I restarted, and was able to get the rest of the way through it.

Technically FFXII was my first FF game--a bit late to the series, I know. Final Fantasy was something I got into very intentionally. Like, I knew basically nothing about it but when I saw FFXIII at E3 I decided it was time for me to find out what had so many players attached. Decided on XII because it was the newest game at the time. Now, something you need to know about me is that up to this point I was primarily a shooter gamer. A 6 hour campaign felt like a long journey at the time. So going from Halo to FFXII was jarring to say the least. Everything was so huge and complex I found myself overwhelmed almost instantly and ultimately put the game down before getting very far.

A little while later I happened to come across a song from FFX on YouTube and in the comments people said it was their favorite FF game. So I decided to give the series a chance again and played FFX.

It changed my life. Not even kidding.

FFX opened up a whole new world to me. A new type of story, a new type of soundtrack, a new genre of game, and beyond that a new culture in Japan. Final Fantasy was the first series I played because it was Japanese, just to see what it was all about, and after that I was hooked. Even got the Bradygames guide for FFXII to study up on all the lore and systems. Went back to the game after that and it quickly turned into one of my favorite FFs.

Funnily enough, although I still enjoy the occasional shooter, I now find myself feeling like an outsider whenever I play them. I play RPGs, watch anime, and a few years ago took a year of Japanese, and as a result of all that I now have a home business programming, which is ultimately aimed at creating visual novels and other Japan-inspired story-based games. All of that because one day I decided to give this series called Final Fantasy a try. That's...kind of crazy, now that I think about it :confused:

Back