Help Fishing

Daenerys

The Last Dragon
Veteran
Gil
God damn, I LOATHE fishing.

Noctis: Fishing Level 5.

Need to get him to Fishing Level 10. As soon as that trophy pops, so does my Platinum.

Easiest / quickest way to do this, anyone?

Dogtag%20Daenerys.png

Start by getting good fishing gear. The better the line, the more reckless you can be. And the better the rod/reel, the less effort you have to put in. There's a pretty good reel in the Totomostro arena (buy about a thousand coins, save outside, and then bet them all on a single fight with good odds. Win, reap the rewards, go back and save, and continue doing this until you can safely bet 9999 coins without worrying about running out. That will get you the reel rather quickly). I've found rods at various fishing spots with shops at them, usually for a small fee. Or you can do the fishing quests to get them. Eating Noct's favorite meals will make his skill level grow faster. So eat one of them, and then just catch all the fish you can. Not sure whether more/less difficult fish offer more/less experience. So I just catch everything, as it's also a great way to get ingredients and such. Hopefully that helps; it's not too difficult to get to ten.

I personally really enjoy the fishing...

I just fished at the Vesperpool, there's a shop right there for all the shit you need, my leviathan might lure or w/e its called did me just fine though. Bought the reel and the rod from there (got the best reel from the arena mini game) you get the best rod from completing navyths fishing quests, sencond best is the one at vesperpool. Stock up on dragons breath lines

I liked fishing lol

I know i'm piggy backing on this thread, but thanks for the info :-) i've came into the game rather blindly, so anything like this is good to take in.

For anyone curious, you need to catch around 90 fish to go from level 2 to level 10 if you fish at the Vesperpool, eating one of Noctis' favourite meals each time at the nearby camp, so altogether you probably need to catch around 100 total if you're starting at level 1. I caught mostly bluegill, with the occasional golden catfish and phoenix bass. I have no idea if the type of fish affects the EXPyou get each time, though...

Fishing is tedious, but you can reel in one every couple of minutes usually.

Wouldn't be a FF if there wasnt a tedious time consuming task though eh? haha

If you save it until you get to chapter 9, you can catch that many fish extremely quickly. Buy the powerful rod at the Vesperpool, do Totomostro for the reel there, and you can probably catch a fish every 45 seconds or so without really having to worry about line tension. Still means it'll take a while to get to level 10. But it's not insanely tedious, since it takes little effort.

After reflecting on my experiences more, I do believe at least some fish offer you more experience. There's a Gladio quest you can get after completing the final fishing quest, if you sleep at the camp at the Vesperpool. While I did probably catch 15 other fish while looking for the one I was supposed to catch, that shouldn't have given me the level and a half I needed to get to level 10. Previous times catching the same amount of fish (and at a lower level, meaning I should have leveled faster) left me with only half a level to a full level of growth at most.

If you save it until you get to chapter 9, you can catch that many fish extremely quickly. Buy the powerful rod at the Vesperpool, do Totomostro for the reel there, and you can probably catch a fish every 45 seconds or so without really having to worry about line tension. Still means it'll take a while to get to level 10. But it's not insanely tedious, since it takes little effort.

After reflecting on my experiences more, I do believe at least some fish offer you more experience. There's a Gladio quest you can get after completing the final fishing quest, if you sleep at the camp at the Vesperpool. While I did probably catch 15 other fish while looking for the one I was supposed to catch, that shouldn't have given me the level and a half I needed to get to level 10. Previous times catching the same amount of fish (and at a lower level, meaning I should have leveled faster) left me with only half a level to a full level of growth at most.

Coolio, thanking you for the advice :)

I just fished at the Vesperpool, there's a shop right there for all the shit you need, my leviathan might lure or w/e its called did me just fine though. Bought the reel and the rod from there (got the best reel from the arena mini game) you get the best rod from completing navyths fishing quests, sencond best is the one at vesperpool. Stock up on dragons breath lines

I liked fishing lol

Pretty much this. I'm spending my time just fishing at Vesperpool because the shop is right there. And I was stuck on the damn Vesper Gar for so long. I honestly like fishing in this game. Am I crazy if I say it's fun?

I really like the fishing. Good way to get AP points. I got to 10 fairly quickly, long before I even went to Vesperpool. I got my points at Galdin Quay, Crestholm Reservoir down the road from Hammerhead, Neeglyss Pond, Swainsmere and all the other little ponds around the area before Vesperpool was opened up. I found the key to getting a lot of fish quickly is the little places. All those have small fish that can be caught quickly with little effort. Most of the small fish are worth 3 points, the catfish start at 5 points, fish like the Crag Barramundi are worth 8 points and can be found in Neeglyss Pond, Golden Catfish worth 17 points found in Crestholm Reservoir (and Vesperpool). I got all my points with the smaller fish. One thing I learned is to watch the tension line. I used to keep trying to real it in until it turned red but found if you stop as soon as it shows up things actually go faster and it's the key to reeling in the giants. If you don't the line runs out too quickly.

One thing I learned is to watch the tension line. I used to keep trying to real it in until it turned red but found if you stop as soon as it shows up things actually go faster and it's the key to reeling in the giants. If you don't the line runs out too quickly.

This is very true.

One new thing to note since my last post in this thread, either they made catching some of the tougher fish easier overall in a patch, they made them easier for (and only during) the fishing Timed Quest, or the uncapped framerate mode on PS4 Pro makes the fish stamina part of the interface go faster as well, meaning they're easier to catch (the map and ascension grid are sped up because they run at 60fps, as do prompts for talking to people, picking up items, etc.).

I think it might be the PS4 Pro. I have the regular PS4 and I lost as many big fish during the timed quest and I did before. The timed quest helped me later with giants because I did so much fishing that I finally saw what I was doing wrong. I was on the hunt for the Gar when the fishing quest came up (lost it about 5 times before catching it). I've since caught about a dozen of those things and a couple of another type of giant (lost a few of them as well). I think when it's a quest fish it might be harder to catch the first time. Might just be me. Need a refresher to catch Gladio's big fish though. The last time I tried, I lost the big one and fished the pond dry trying to catch it again. Once there were no more dots (fish) I was stuck. Had to get out and reload a prior save. I was not going to let that fish beat me.

Must be then. Because my first two times catching the Murk Grouper took about 7 or so minutes. It didn't feel easier until the next one I caught, during the timed quest; it was my first time fishing since the unlocked framerate patch, and he took me about two minutes.

The one thing that I really like about fishing is the scenic beauty it provides when waiting for the salmons to take the bait. Other than that, fishing is tedious often times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back