Other games that remind you of Final Fantasy

killreviltwin

Gil
Hello, so which games not Final Fantasy remind you of it? I have played this game since II, so I have been stuck to the series and love it. Any games similar?

I struggle with this one. I think Final Fantasy tends to stand out as unique and very much unlike other JRPGs.

That said, I will have a go.

Koudelka is a horror themed RPG game for the PlayStation. Gameplay wise it has similarities with Final Fantasy, but its themes more closely resemble the likes of Resident Evil and Silent Hill.

The Shadow Hearts series on the Playstation 2 (sharing the same universe as Koudelka, I believe) perhaps gets closer to Final Fantasy in its themes, but it is still very different (set in an alternate universe WW1). I only watched a friend play part of Shadow Hearts 2, but I believe there is a focus on demons, but it has a diversity of cast quite similar to FF (including an interesting puppeteer character).

Also on Playstation 2 is the Summoner series. I didn't play the original game, but I played Summoner 2 all the way through. In terms of gameplay it isn't very much like Final Fantasy. It isn't turn based - but you do get to swap between party members and (as the title suggests) summoning is an important part of the game. The real reason I nominate this is because the diversity of playable characters reminded me of Final Fantasy while I was playing it. You get a human female protagonist, a warrior, a pirate-monk, a blue-skinned ninja lady, a traditional old mage man, a big bulky alien guy, a robot lady, and a really unusual looking metal guy with a stick. There is not a single character who looks or acts the same. Final Fantasy games (especially IV, VI, VII and IX) usually deliver a similar richly diverse cast without needing to make a political statement or anything. These characters just exist, and they are fun and colourful.

I guess I should also mention Dragon Quest because since the merger of Square with Enix there have been a couple of cross-overs (in XIV at least). In my opinion there is little in common other than the standard RPG elements. I've only played one Dragon Quest game, but although it is enjoyable and I love the puns it uses for the names of places and people, it is a much more simple plot. The art style too, while interesting and cute, doesn't allow the player to engage with the plot and care for the characters in the way that a player can with Final Fantasy (although maybe the simplistic plot is really the only reason - I'm not decided).

The short answer is I don't know of a single game like Final Fantasy. There are some games which come close in some ways, but they're never quite like Final Fantasy. In my opinion.

Two words...

Chrono. Trigger.

It was made by some of the same developers from Final Fantasy back in the day and is a SNES classic. Similar turn based combat but the gameplay happens all on one screen, there won't be any random battles as you see the enemies on the screen before facing them. The characters are great, story is awesome, one of my favorite games of all time. I only got a chance to play it a few years ago a long time after its release but it screams Final Fantasy while being its own thing entirely. I think you can get it on your phone now along with the SNES and all sorts of other places for cheap.

Back