[insert something witty here]

Martel

All your username are belong to me.
Veteran
Gil
So, uh. This is kinda awkward. More awkward than making an intro thread, even. It's been...what, a year and a half? I can't even remember. My last post was apparently in July of 2015, so I guess so. Huh. It seems like it's been longer.

But I got a random message on my calendar this morning telling me that today was my 7[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary(!) on FFF, so I thought I'd have a look for old time's sake, make a thread and check in, see if anyone remembers me, if I could remember anyone, etc. You know, as you do. Seven years is a looooong time. Even if I have only been active for about three or four of them. That's better than most places, though! I can't even remember half the places I've been. I don't put their anniversaries on my calendar. Don't ask why I did for this place; I don't even remember doing it, but I'm generally too lazy to take stuff off the thing.

So, who is still here? I have to admit I'm kinda surprised...given that a new FF game is due out in nine days, and it's been in development for something like fifty billion years, I would have thought this place would have been packed with people hyped for it...or bitching about it; I know it wasn't just me who put a more realistic spin on absolutely everything back then. I remember how ridiculously active it was when FFXIII was first released...such a fun debacle that was, especially when the sequel was announced. I miss pissing people off in the news section. I fully expect a repeat performance given how dismal XV is shaping up to be. Watching the magazines struggle to justify their high scores and the screams of despair of the fans who have waited years for this is going to give me immense satisfaction. The two month delay alone had me cackling with delight. I won't get to play it until Christmas, but I have a backlog to work through anyway, so I can't say I particularly care.

Not much to say about life...my health has been a bit of a rollercoaster, and I haven't really been sure of whether or not I've been coming or going sometimes. Mostly, I've been going. Probably best if I don't go into it. Go read the Deus Angst Machina TV Tropes page for a general summary, it's more entertaining. My take on it would be very melodramatic and depressing...like those bios I used to take such delight in writing. Exactly like those, in fact. The short version is that I've spent more time unwell and incapacitated this year and a half than I have anything else. Fuck 2016, right? Humanity's collective stupidity regarding the current political climate, massive death of celebrities with actual talent, continued bollocks with network rail services, some gorilla people won't shut up about, video game delays and disappointments, Martel posting again on FFF...I'm sure the list can be extended a bit. It's so nice when your personal life has symmetry with the rest of the world, right?

Uh, guess that's it. I'm more of a Discord person these days, I don't really have the drive for things that I used to, even when I'm in one of my better states...mostly because I don't know how long it'll last and I hate leaving things unfinished, as usually happens when things stop functioning the way they should and I have to devote all my attention to making sure they don't explode. I'll try and check in from time to time, though. It'd be nice to catch up with people a little maybe. Or not; in my experience I'm typically a very bad memory people prefer to forget. Like that miserable aunt who smells like mouldy cabbages and gives you her dead husband's old socks for Christmas and pinches your cheeks. Whatever works for you, works for me. It's nice to see this place is still going, anyway. Lots of forums shut down after a few years, after all.

So, yeah. 9 days to go, people. I hope you've all braced yourselves for the inevitable disappointment you're going to experience~

So, who is still here?

dafoe7bs2p.gif

GIVE ME BACK MY USERNAME, YOU!
rage-1.gif

Aloha, Martel. I was actually talking about you last night, mainly about the RP. I would like to think that I subconsciously wished you back using a platter of crystals or something, but I suppose an email message that piqued your interest is the more likely explanation. But either way, YES I HAVE BLOODY MISSED YOU.

I have to admit I'm kinda surprised...given that a new FF game is due out in nine days

What are you talking about? World of Final Fantasy is already out!

I won't get to play it until Christmas

I cannot bloody wait for your review of it. :andry:

Fuck 2016, right? Humanity's collective stupidity regarding the current political climate, massive death of celebrities with actual talent, continued bollocks with network rail services, some gorilla people won't shut up about, video game delays and disappointments

I have a zealous Donald Trump alt-right supporter in my class and I have to work with him. Though he's a nice enough guy and I do appreciate the fact that he does try to calmly explain his position, I still sometimes feel like plunging an ice pick into my neck. :sad3:

Martel posting again on FFF...I'm sure the list can be extended a bit.

Oh no, we're delighted. That would be one of the only upsides to 2016. :britt:

So a random message of an anniversary brought you back, well if you peek in time to time again now welcome back here.

dafoe7bs2p.gif

GIVE ME BACK MY USERNAME, YOU! :raye:
2sPUaJH.gif

...it was the best I had on short notice >.>

I've had it for over two years now...it's practically my username by this point, isn't it?
...OK, maybe it isn't, but eh, maybe later. xD

Aloha, Martel. I was actually talking about you last night, mainly about the RP. I would like to think that I subconsciously wished you back using a platter of crystals or something, but I suppose an email message that piqued your interest is the more likely explanation. But either way, YES I HAVE BLOODY MISSED YOU.
Scary coincidence is scary. Yeah...I'm really sorry about that whole unfinished disaster. You don't really want to know what I was doing when we were due to start that. I would have been here if I could have been...I was looking forward to it. I've still got a fuckton of notes saved...sssomewhere. We were finally going to get it done after years of repeated failure due to people vanishing, then I have to up and bloody vanish. I imagine that was as aggravating for you as it was for me at the time.
I have to admit that I missed our discussions too. xD;

What are you talking about? World of Final Fantasy is already out!
Oh yeah, I forgot about that...like the rest of the world has, I imagine. I got it for my birthday, did the opening sequence, then put it down in favour of...something else. Hyrule Warriors Legends, I think. I'd wanted playable Yuga for forever.

I cannot bloody wait for your review of it. :andry:
Bad enough I have to play it, now you want me to review it too? No rest for the wicked...

I have a zealous Donald Trump alt-right supporter in my class and I have to work with him. Though he's a nice enough guy and I do appreciate the fact that he does try to calmly explain his position, I still sometimes feel like plunging an ice pick into my neck. :sad3:
Just do it. You'll feel better. You might even get out of prison in time to retire. Maybe.
I'm having a hard time deciding which is worse still...Trump or Brexit. But then, Brexit had one positive side effect - Cameron is gone. The only side effect Trump's election had was proving that we're smarter than the average Americans who voted him in, and I knew that already through several painful years of dealing with idiots on internet forums.

...gotta look on the bright side during times like these. And laugh at the shifts in the economy and the massive amount of shock and regret everyone is experiencing.

Oh no, we're delighted. That would be one of the only upsides to 2016. :britt:
...Christ, 2016 has been worse than I thought. xD;

So a random message of an anniversary brought you back, well if you peek in time to time again now welcome back here.
Pretty much. Stranger things have happened. Admittedly, I've thought off and on about returning to the site to see how things are before now, but I've been screwed about with my health so much I didn't think it was really worth it when I could be gone the next week. I guess I still could be, but...eh, them's the breaks I guess.

Scary coincidence is scary. Yeah...I'm really sorry about that whole unfinished disaster.

No worries, I understand. Life is this psychotic mistress who is always around the corner waiting to beat you up with a stool to the head.

I'm not in a very position at this moment in time to partake in any RP or any fun, creative side projects in general, as I am utterly inundated with things on my plate, buuuuut, if whenever we both have some well-deserved breathing space, give me a shout and we can try (yet) again to make it work. xD

Bad enough I have to play it, now you want me to review it too? No rest for the wicked...

You don't have to. Spontaneous impressions of the game will be fine. I just want to see the product of your legendary, uncompromising disdain for the last few FF releases in recent years mixed with an actual new non-MMO mainline game in god-knows-how-long will look like.

And also because I won't be playing the game, so as much as I would like to either eviscerate it or post about how pleasantly surprised I am by what I'm playing (as it hilariously turned out to be the case for me with FFXIII-2...), I won't be able to. It's a sad time for me. :gonk:

Just do it. You'll feel better. You might even get out of prison in time to retire. Maybe.

Ice pick into my own neck, not his. xD

All things considered, I've been as pleasant with him as I possibly can, despite how much my skin crawls when he enthusiastically tries to defend everything said or done by Trump and his surrogates. At the very least, I haven't told him, jokingly or not, to jump out through the window like our tutor for business law has. It's probably no wonder that he has stopped showing up for business law classes. :olivia:

I'm having a hard time deciding which is worse still...Trump or Brexit. But then, Brexit had one positive side effect - Cameron is gone. The only side effect Trump's election had was proving that we're smarter than the average Americans who voted him in, and I knew that already through several painful years of dealing with idiots on internet forums.

I can at least appreciate Ham-Face for being pro-Remain and not being afraid to argue for it despite half the party wishing to stick a shiv up his butt. Theresa May I wrongfully assumed would be a competent successor who at least had some semblance of a plan in mind as to what the country will have to do in the next two years or so, but quelle surprise...she's also just as guilty of making it up as she goes along. But that's the Brexit vote in a nutshell. We voted for something that none of us actually have a fucking clue about beyond the tasty platitudes about sovereignty and British laws as decided by British lawyers or something...

...unless it's a ruling by a British court (High Court) made by British judges upholding the British principle of parliamentary sovereignty and sensibly declaring that by law, Brexit needs parliamentary approval and cannot just be at the unchecked whims of executive power - IN WHICH CASE THEY ARE ENEMIES OF THE PEOPLE.

Last edited:
Ahhh the Bot returned for a little while just to taunt Livi about still having her user name...

Welcome back Mart-Bot might see you around for a little bit before you go back to doing whatever it is you have been doing over the year...world domination is my guess

MARTEL!!! Such impeccable timing.... or sorcery. I'm still here and yes I'm excited for XV. I know you can't wait to see disappointment but I'm trying to be optimistic about it. That being said... I read your thread here and while I'm very shocked to see it was an email that brought you too us, I'd also think you have magic powers or something given that the sb had mention of rping and you yesterday. It is nice to have you back... maybe we will get some fun discussion around here again! :britt:

Congratulations on your return. :argor:

2016 has been a difficult year for many people. I hope you are okay and that things improve for you.

We're in the middle of trying to increase activity again (giving people more interesting things to buy in the MogShop, giving people activities, etc). People aren't biting at the moment, but if we work together then we might be able to pull it off.

People aren't biting at the moment, but if we work together then we might be able to pull it off.

Except a few unfortunate souls.

Welcome back, Martel. Looking forward to reading your posts again. I do hope it is nothing serious with the health department. Take it easy.

Oh my, there are more people here than I thought...and I actually remember you all, too! :yay:

No worries, I understand. Life is this psychotic mistress who is always around the corner waiting to beat you up with a stool to the head.

I'm not in a very position at this moment in time to partake in any RP or any fun, creative side projects in general, as I am utterly inundated with things on my plate, buuuuut, if whenever we both have some well-deserved breathing space, give me a shout and we can try (yet) again to make it work. xD
More or less. We're all closet masochists.

Neither am I at this precise moment either, honestly - stuff hasn't really gotten any better, it just hasn't gotten any worse. Nonetheless, that's a nice thought, and I'd be more than willing to pursue it if that small miracle ever happens. We both worked pretty hard on stuff after all.

You don't have to. Spontaneous impressions of the game will be fine. I just want to see the product of your legendary, uncompromising disdain for the last few FF releases in recent years mixed with an actual new non-MMO mainline game in god-knows-how-long will look like.

And also because I won't be playing the game, so as much as I would like to either eviscerate it or post about how pleasantly surprised I am by what I'm playing (as it hilariously turned out to be the case for me with FFXIII-2...), I won't be able to. It's a sad time for me. :gonk:
I'm sure I'll be able to come out with something. I'm already annoyed that Stell--sorry, Lunafreya, got downgraded to unimportant side character and had thirty years tacked onto her life with her ugly new CGI model. I can understand the reasons, but are Square Enix going to be able to make the story good enough to justify that decision? Hahahahaha.

You don't have a PS4 yet? :gasp:
...not that you're missing much. Half of the games I have on it are remasters, and the other half I could get on my Vita instead...and I was going to upgrade to a Pro for my birthday a couple of weeks ago, too. God, what is wrong with me.

Ice pick into my own neck, not his. xD
...oh. Uh...nevermind then. xD

I can at least appreciate Ham-Face for being pro-Remain and not being afraid to argue for it despite half the party wishing to stick a shiv up his butt. Theresa May I wrongfully assumed would be a competent successor who at least had some semblance of a plan in mind as to what the country will have to do in the next two years or so, but quelle surprise...she's also just as guilty of making it up as she goes along. But that's the Brexit vote in a nutshell. We voted for something that none of us actually have a fucking clue about beyond the tasty platitudes about sovereignty and British laws as decided by British lawyers or something...

...unless it's a ruling by a British court (High Court) made by British judges upholding the British principle of parliamentary sovereignty and sensibly declaring that by law, Brexit needs parliamentary approval and cannot just be at the unchecked whims of executive power - IN WHICH CASE THEY ARE ENEMIES OF THE PEOPLE.
Looking at the numbers of who voted for what, it appears to be more the older generation that has fucked us all over...the people who think that the EU is still the Common Market and that Britain is being invaded by immigrants (it's all their fault, of course) and, in America, the people who still probably think Enron is doing well and that the gung-ho American Dream is the future. I wonder how many people actually bothered to research what they were voting for...probably not very many. Stupidity in the older generation, ignorance in the younger generation. Such happy times.

May is proving to be useless, but then..better her than Boris. Boris and Trump are like the Chuckle Brothers of politics or something. Looking at the kind of people who supported the Leave campaign is a clear indication that it's a bad idea, too. But then, immigrants. Multiculturalism is bad. All hail Britannia!

Ahhh the Bot returned for a little while just to taunt Livi about still having her user name...

Welcome back Mart-Bot might see you around for a little bit before you go back to doing whatever it is you have been doing over the year...world domination is my guess
A mixture of trying to stay alive, gaming, and absently twiddling my thumbs waiting for something to happen. I think the world is too far gone for anything other than complete destruction at this point. We need a reset button. Or a few really good assassins.

MARTEL!!! Such impeccable timing.... or sorcery. I'm still here and yes I'm excited for XV. I know you can't wait to see disappointment but I'm trying to be optimistic about it. That being said... I read your thread here and while I'm very shocked to see it was an email that brought you too us, I'd also think you have magic powers or something given that the sb had mention of rping and you yesterday. It is nice to have you back... maybe we will get some fun discussion around here again! :britt:
Probably a little of both. Sorcery is all about good timing, after all...and ominous Latin chanting. The latter is usually more important than the former. Good luck with your optimism...you're going to need it. A lot. Especially considering your current username. xD
Weren't you always one of those people who disliked my "fun discussion"? xD

Mart returned :griin:. Welcome back good sir/madam!
Ta~
I see you're still doing LPs of things...many of them. Are you making a career out of it, or just doing it for fun still?

Congratulations on your return. :argor:

2016 has been a difficult year for many people. I hope you are okay and that things improve for you.

We're in the middle of trying to increase activity again (giving people more interesting things to buy in the MogShop, giving people activities, etc). People aren't biting at the moment, but if we work together then we might be able to pull it off.
Ta~

Well, 2016 is almost over - thank Christ for that - so if nothing else we won't have to put up with it for much longer. Nothing to say 2017 will be any better, but even so.

I see. The place has been like this for a while, then? When I was last here I remember it being moderately active still, although a lot of people were coming and going, or had left...we've all gotten older, I guess. I'll try and be around, although I don't know if I'd be much use, as I was always one of those members people liked to argue with, and I'm guessing that's not the sort of activity you'd want. xD

Except a few unfortunate souls.

Welcome back, Martel. Looking forward to reading your posts again. I do hope it is nothing serious with the health department. Take it easy.
Thanks Mits~

Nothing immediately life threatening...at least at the moment. I think/hope I've pushed my way through the worst of it. Well, I'm treading on thin ice, but in most aspects of life I do that, so I'm kinda used to it by now. One day at a time, right?

I'm sure I'll be able to come out with something. I'm already annoyed that Stell--sorry, Lunafreya, got downgraded to unimportant side character

Stella has had the mother of all downgrades. She's now a pendant in the game named after a fallen heroine or something that can be equipped by the main character to ward off poison attacks.

Luna (Lunafreya is just daft and I'm not calling her that as much as SE want me to) I have already ranted about from a feminist point of view and it's looking very likely that I will continue to rant about her in the weeks to come. :lew:

You don't have a PS4 yet? :gasp:
...not that you're missing much. Half of the games I have on it are remasters, and the other half I could get on my Vita instead...and I was going to upgrade to a Pro for my birthday a couple of weeks ago, too. God, what is wrong with me.

Noooooope.

I lack the time or will to be playing video games these days anyway. I usually just stick to passive entertainment and whatever I feel like watching today on Netflix. And you're right, I'm honestly not missing much; this generation is just an extension of the last generation and yet it feels even blander. Besides the very few triple-A games I am interested in (Red Dead Redemption 2 and Mass Effect Andromeda) and mid-tier offerings from Square-Enix (World of Final Fantasy, Nier Automata, whatever Dragon Quest games they intend to bring over), the rest of the games on my list I can essentially play on a mid-priced PC. If anything, I find the Nintendo Switch more exciting than any of the current consoles. xD

But I suppose I'll have to eventually buy a PS4 (Pro) if I want to continue with FFXIV and its upcoming expansion. As much as I would like to break warranty and stick an SSD into it for good measure, at least it will be an upgrade from what I've been used to on PS3. >.>

Boris and Trump are like the Chuckle Brothers of politics or something.

Boris made himself irrelevant when Michael Gove went all Game of Thrones on him this summer.

If anything, it's Farage and Trump who are trying to be a rather terrifying dynamic duo.

Ta~
I see you're still doing LPs of things...many of them. Are you making a career out of it, or just doing it for fun still?

Still just for fun sah/madame. If I could quit my job for it I would, but it ain't gonna happen lol.

Probably a little of both. Sorcery is all about good timing, after all...and ominous Latin chanting. The latter is usually more important than the former. Good luck with your optimism...you're going to need it. A lot. Especially considering your current username. xD
Weren't you always one of those people who disliked my "fun discussion"? xD

Oh boy.... we will see since I'm very excited and am hearing great things about it. It would be impossible to dislike it at this point. No, I never disliked your discussions... you just got really into it at times and it was funny. :lew: I sort of miss it!

Back