FFVIII/FF8 Remake

FFVIII is not as big as FFVII if you referring to fan reception. I do feel it would benefit more from a remake than some of the other numbers. A petition in this situation is not going to do you any good because money talks. If FFVIII would even get considered for a remake, the FFVII remake would have to generate enough financial success first.

Best of luck to you, but to be honest I doubt a petition of any reasonable size is going to sway Square Enix on the matter. I could certainly see them releasing an enhanced port like they did on PS4 for Final Fantasy VII (especially since such a port does exist on PC already) but game remakes are a massive undertaking and financially risky--more so than original games, on both accounts. Final Fantasy VII is unique in that a remake has been widely demanded by fans for over a decade and the original game has a status that few other games in existence can match. Final Fantasy VIII doesn't have the same legacy--it's more of a cult classic. And we can see the kind of treatment Square Enix gives those by taking a look at FFXII--the remaster barely looks different from the original PS2 game.

In other words, I think the FFVII Remake represents a one-off move for Square Enix rather than a pattern they intend to continue. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but if they aren't already planning on it then you'll need a petition in the order of several million signatures to draw their attention.

It'll happen eventually because that's just what Square does.

With that said, unless the script gets a much needed rewrite to fix Squall and Rinoa's terrible development arcs, I'd say that'd be a game I'd watch for the sake of curiosity, but I'd never buy it until it was in the bargain bin. Rinoa is a character that puts my teeth on edge every time she opens her mouth.

You could try, though Square doesn't seem to be the type to listen to fan petitions. They're only remaking VII, because it's highly regarded as a masterpiece and even then people had to bug and grovel for a remake for about a decade.

Last edited:
I'd actually be more interested in a Laguna spinoff. I mean Vincent got his own game so why not Laguna?

Back