Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 and 2.5 collection coming to PS4

ffxv-e303n3sdu.jpg

Square really wants you to be ready for Kingdom Hearts 3. If you have a PlayStation 4 and have little inkling to retrieve the old, dusty PS3 from the attic to revisit the Kingdom Hearts collections that you've neglected to play, you need not worry, for the PS4 will soon have virtually every game in the series in one place. As you can perhaps infer from the title, both the 1.5 and 2.5 HD collections will have a PlayStation 4 release, with a buttery 60 frames per second to boot.

The following is a list of the games that will be included with this package:

• KINGDOM HEARTS FINAL MIX
  • KINGDOM HEARTS Re:Chain of Memories
  • KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 Days (HD remastered cinematics)
  • KINGDOM HEARTS II FINAL MIX
  • KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep FINAL MIX
  • KINGDOM HEARTS Re:coded (HD remastered cinematics)

The collection will be released at the tail end of March. North America is first on the 28th of March with Europe and other territories to follow a few days later on the 31st.

Don't forget also that Kingdom Hearts 2.8 HD Final Chapter Prologue is due for release in January also for the PS4. It will include:

• KINGDOM HEARTS HD Dream Drop Distance
  • KINGDOM HEARTS 0.2 Birth by Sleep: A Fragmentary Passage
  • KINGDOM HEARTS X(CHI) Back Cover (HD cinematics)
By the end of March, the PS4 will have every Kingdom Hearts game consolidated in one place. Happy 15th birthday, Kingdom Hearts!

Nova Crystallis

Last edited by a moderator:
Linnaete

Linnaete

This is great news for PS4 owners with no PS3, but I am starting to wonder why we bothered with a new generation if all we're going to use it for is last generations' games :P

This is great news for PS4 owners with no PS3, but I am starting to wonder why we bothered with a new generation if all we're going to use it for is last generations' games :P
It is at times safer for a company to invest in a remaster than what it is to form a new IP that will have an unknown success. While some remastered titles are just resolution and/or graphic updates, others go beyond that by adding content that was not in the original version. For example, The Kingdom Hearts remastered titles that will come out in the future incorporate some content from the handheld titles.

It is at times safer for a company to invest in a remaster than what it is to form a new IP that will have an unknown success. While some remastered titles are just resolution and/or graphic updates, others go beyond that by adding content that was not in the original version. For example, The Kingdom Hearts remastered titles that will come out in the future incorporate some content from the handheld titles.

You saying that the PS4 versions of 1.5/2.5 include stuff that isn't in the PS3 version? If so, what exactly? Really, I don't care if they're janky and ugly, I want playable versions of 358 and re:Coded on console. The most important thing to me is that they shorten load times, particularly when initiating Drive Forms in KHII.

You saying that the PS4 versions of 1.5/2.5 include stuff that isn't in the PS3 version? If so, what exactly? Really, I don't care if they're janky and ugly, I want playable versions of 358 and re:Coded on console. The most important thing to me is that they shorten load times, particularly when initiating Drive Forms in KHII.
I do not know as to your first question. I do not play the KH games, and this is information passed on from somebody that does play the titles for the most part (both handheld and console side). With the .5/.8 versions coming out, there won't be a need to do a remaster for the handheld titles. While the main numbered games could still be played prior, a lack of clarity on certain topics would come up within them as they would get covered in detail in the handheld titles. Now, the necessity has been reduced to where a person can be completely fine playing these more up to date versions and III all on a single platform.

It is at times safer for a company to invest in a remaster than what it is to form a new IP that will have an unknown success. While some remastered titles are just resolution and/or graphic updates, others go beyond that by adding content that was not in the original version.

I know all that, but this generation in particular has seen an unprecedented amount of rereleases compared to previous generations. There's games from PS2, PS3, and even Vita and PSP on PS4. Put them all together and it'd be easy to spend more time with those than actual current-gen games. Getting to play them at 1080p and (sometimes) 60 FPS is nice and I play remasters as much as anybody. It's just one more thing leaving me rather disillusioned with consoles this time around.

I mean, for years everyone pined for new consoles. Then Sony releases one, and so people sell their old consoles...and end up buying and playing the same content on the new one. You have to admit it's a little ironic.

Personally I have both KH collections on PS3 already and there's nothing about them that leaves me wishing for a PS4 port. If I didn't still have a PS3 I'd be happy about this new collection. It just leaves me wondering what the PS4 is trying to be since this is the hundredth time this has happened.

You saying that the PS4 versions of 1.5/2.5 include stuff that isn't in the PS3 version? If so, what exactly?

Only new feature is 60 FPS, and I think FinalxxSin was just giving an example.

Totally with you on 358/2 days. It may not be essential to understand the story but it's one of the most interesting games in the series to me. The cutscenes are nice but I would've preferred that one to be playable and maybe Chain of Memories turned into cutscenes instead. But then, that one was already remade on PS2 back in the day, so it's not really like the devs went out of their way to include it.

Back