TGS '16: Short FFXV story trailer and "Luna Edition" PS4 Slim announced

njkuoiwooqks.jpg

A short story trailer for Final Fantasy XV was shown at the Sony PlayStation Press Conference at this year's Tokyo Game Show event. The distinctive Final Fantasy theme from previous games such as FFIV and FFXII can be heard while the minute long trailer briefly shows each of the main characters along with a flair of drama between Noctis and Gladiolus.

A special PS4 Slim edition was also announced, though there is no word on the availability of this model outside of Japan. This model is named the "Luna Edition" and comes packaged with a digital rental for Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV, an original theme and a copy of the game due out in November for 39,980 yen.

0079dotv.jpg

0065rpef.jpg

005whq2t.jpg

Director Hajime Tabata noted that Sony had come with Square Enix with the idea and the design of this console is supposed to invoke the shot of Noctis gazing up at the moonlit sky.

Nova Crystallis 1 | 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Linnaete

Linnaete

I think this is only a glimpse of the full trailer we will get at TGS. I'd be really disappointed if this is all we got after the delay announcement. Is there a downgrade with Luna? I don't really notice it. I think her face looks much better to suit how strong she is. I do mean the gun scene that we saw in the dawn trailer ages ago. They redid that scene in this trailer and it looks a lot better, imo. I think it is just the face though! It is nice to see Luna giving a speech on how she will save the world from darkness as that is typical of Final Fantasy; therefore, I give that dialogue a pass. The character interaction at the end is top notch.

Damn, that's a nice ps4 slim!

A poorly paced trailer with random scenes divorced from much needed context stitched together that does little to establish and set up intrigue. Every trailer since Nomura's departure from the project has underwhelmed. They supposedly have a framework for how the narrative will flow in relation to the game's design (more linear and presumably more story-driven by the second half of the game) but they're oddly divulging so little in terms of story beats.

It's potentially good for people who absolutely don't want to be spoilt. But personally I've not seen anything from these trailers that come close to inspiring genuine excitement for what this narrative will look like and where it will go. Even FFXIII's last pre-release trailer packed in so much flair that it made those context-deprived stitched story scenes look and sound riveting.

I like the main FF theme in the background though. I also approve of Luna's new face as it looks less doll-like and more convincingly portrays the idea that she's not been sleeping well under occupation and/or has seen some heavy shit recently. I think Ignis being potentially blind and unable to properly walk unaided will be interesting to explore.

Ravus Viserys Targaryen Nox Fleuret does not look even a bit intimidating as a villain, especially after seeing his poor show in Kingsglaive. His sword-to-someone's-face schtick doesn't even come close to Judge Ghis threateningly pointing his blade at Balthier's throat to goad Ashe in FFXII. I can't wait to beat up his crappy arse.

A poorly paced trailer with random scenes divorced from much needed context stitched together that does little to establish and set up intrigue. Every trailer since Nomura's departure from the project has underwhelmed. They supposedly have a framework for how the narrative will flow in relation to the game's design (more linear and presumably more story-driven by the second half of the game) but they're oddly divulging so little in terms of story beats.

Ravus Viserys Targaryen Nox Fleuret does not look even a bit intimidating as a villain, especially after seeing his poor show in Kingsglaive. His sword-to-someone's-face schtick doesn't even come close to Judge Ghis threateningly pointing his blade at Balthier's throat to goad Ashe in FFXII. I can't wait to beat up his crappy arse.

Yeah, I agree with some things here. This isn't our full trailer but if it is then yeah, it was pretty mediocre on selling something close to release. I think mostly SE know how grand the scale of the game is and these trailers just tell us really little on purpose. There is a clear and concise narrative, albeit it is in little fragments right now since we don't really know anything but the theme of reclaiming a lost kingdom. Well, if anything this is the first we have seen of Ravus in game therefore; we can't really explore him much. I understand the disappointment but I think SE is wary of leaks from 4chan and stuff like that. They might be worried about showing too many scenes right now. Overall, this trailer wasn't good, simply because it is close to release and there wasn't enough hype in it. It is hard to be an FFXV fan because I usually want more info but at the same time, I need to be surprised. However, I agree 100% with you that Nomura's trailers for versus definitely had more of the hype feel to it, whereas FFXV is a roadtrip of trailers that don't give us anything but pretty images.

Lunafreya Nox Fleuret said:
However, I agree 100% with you that Nomura's trailers for versus definitely had more of the hype feel to it, whereas FFXV is a roadtrip of trailers that don't give us anything but pretty images.

Yes, and it's hard to understand what's going on. I mean there are a lot of random scenes after each other, and it's almost impossible (for me at least) to know what I see :,D I feel like to know what's the main story is, but I have more questions than real knowledge. Maybe they did it on purpose to make us curious enough to buy the game, but for me it's rather confusing. ˇˇ""

I really like this Luna edition PS4 slim, but I think they could have done a much better version. I mean I love for example the PSP-3000 Dissidia Final Fantasy limited edition or the limited PS2 slim FFXII version (or any other limited edition). This one seems to be too simple for me. ^^" Especially for its price.

Back