Your Favorite Tri-Ace RPG?

Ryatta

ShinRa Guard
Gil
I've been playing through Tri-Ace's latest game Exist Archive and been thinking about the general diverseness of their games when it comes to RPGs, I think they make some of the best and a few have outshined the FF games from time to time, yet they don' really have any steady franchises unlike the other RPG developers; big or small.

So whats your favorite game that they have made.. for me it's Resonance of Fate (End of Eternity); it edges out Valkyrie Profile in having some of the best sitcom style writing ever, awesome battle system and generally just being like a deconstruction of the typical JRPG formula

My favorite is one of the oft forgotten ones, and it's also a game that I initially was really disappointed in purchasing.

My favorite Tri-Ace game is Radiata Stories. It's got some hit or miss storytelling at points, but it more than makes up for that with an extraordinarily cohesive world, and absolutely lovable characters. This game emphasizes tropes to a huge degree, but it does it in the correct way. Whereas something like the Tales series often uses tropes to skip out on writing actually compelling characters, Radiata Stories uses its simple characters to give you the feeling that its world is diverse, and that your character choices are meaningful. I normally don't enjoy when games overload you with characters to put in your party (if I recall, Radiata Stories has like 156 or something). And indeed, they're not terribly well balanced in Radiata. But exploring to find characters, figuring out how to get said characters to join you and then just enjoying the quirks they have to offer is amazing. It's another one of my comfort games, where I can just sit back and play it with a smile on my face.

I second Radiata Stories. The game was so beautiful, funny, and just had a really great story. My favorite thing about the game was that all the armor sets showed on the main character while he was in towns and in the field. And there was some really cool armor sets, I rocked the red samurai armor alot.

What a great company.

Back