Will the PS4 Pro change your decision to buy FFXV on the PS4?

Will you buy FFXV on the Pro?

• Yes, I am going to buy FFXV on the Pro

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • I will not be buying FFXV at all.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rey

♥Solo noi due insieme per sempre♥
Veteran
Gil
Accessory (Arms)
Build-A-Member
Chocobo Egg
Terra
Yuna
FFXIV
Ellia Lombardia
FFXIV Server
Lamia
I bring this up because I have seen many comments on the internet, and most commonly on NeoGaf and gamefaqs about how the game will look miles better on the new PS4 Pro. Personally, I already have the ps4 deluxe version pre ordered and with the Pro, you are shelling out 500 bucks here + a 4k TV and a copy of FFXV, which will almost be at 1000 dollars in your final purchase. This is worrying to say the least, as we don't even know what upgrade FFXV is getting on the Pro. For such an expensive upgrade, we know FFXV probably won't take advantage of full 4k, it would be simply too much to get the game to run perfectly in native 4k with a better framerate. I don't believe there is much else to say here but I'm keeping my ps4 version until I see a clear major difference in a side by side comparison video. We have been waiting 10 years, sure but is that wait really going to make people spend a fortune just to see marginally upgraded graphics and better frames per second?

Based on what games I have on my radar, FFXV is literally the make or break deciding factor. I've seen some uncompressed videos of FFXV lately, and visually I am happy with the game. Since FFXV is an Action RPG, it can benefit more imo from a higher FPS in comparison to higher resolution, better lighting, and etc. If the development team decides to go with a graphical update only, then I'll pass on the PS4 Pro and just enjoy FFXV on the OG PS4.

EDIT: In case it isn't clear, there will not be two different versions of FFXV. The Pro runs the same exact games as the normal PS4. It's not a different disc, not is it even using different assets. The only difference is that the Pro has extra power for things like performance and post processing. So buying FFXV means you're buying it for both consoles. Not sure if you thought there'd be two versions of the game or not, but in case you did, I thought I'd clarify :)

Well here's the thing; it will realistically look quite a bit better than on the base PS4. We do indeed already know what they'll be doing with it, since as I understand it, they showed it off on the floor after the show (plus they alluded to it during the show). It will be upscaled to 4k, most likely using the checkerboard style upscaling technique Sony has said is a great solution, as well as support HDR. According to those at the show, this upscaling technique seemed to be fantastic, and offered something really close to native 4k; close enough that at a regular viewing distance you likely won't tell the difference between it and native 4k. HDR meanwhile unlocks an enormous amount of detail that would normally be blown out due to too many similar colors being displayed in close proximity. A normal television will not have access to enough colors (or brightness) to show this detail, meaning certain aspects of dark or bright scenes (as well as just general colors) get washed out. Unfortunately, neither of these things can really be shown easily. In order to see the HDR, you have to have an HDR screen, otherwise it'll often look exactly the same as the non-HDR equivalent picture. Meanwhile, even though they did stream the event in 4k, it was at a really low bitrate, meaning there was a lot of artifacting and washout to the resolution. So you can't really get a good grasp on what they were trying to showcase. Regardless, there's one thing that's important for less technically inclined people to understand... HDR is the bigger upgrade than 4k. Most people play too far from televisions to get the full impact of 4k. But HDR is a much broader expansion on visual fidelity, rather than focusing on granular detail like 4k does. Resolution upgrades are starting to offer major diminishing returns. HDR is as large of a visual jump as the difference between 480p and 1080p in terms of visual clarity and range. The one thing that's important to note though, is that getting the wrong HDR display can introduce tons of controller lag... and they're rather expensive.

Other games at the show offered different options for players, meaning FFXV very well might too. Tomb Raider is currently offering a setting for 1080p 60fps gameplay at the equivalent of max settings on PC (if I recall... might be 1080p 30fps. But regardless, the visual effects are maxed), or an upscaled 4k 30fps setting with HDR (not sure if the 1080p option allows for HDR or not). The Last of Us Remastered will be capable of running at native 4k 30fps with HDR, or a much more consistent 1080p 60fps than normal PS4 could (again, not sure if the 1080p mode can use HDR... I don't know why it wouldn't though). Plus, both modes have increased shadow detail, which was previously only available (on normal PS4's) in the 30fps mode. Guerilla Games, with Horizon Zero Dawn knew that they couldn't quite hit 60fps at the upscaled 4k resolution. So instead of sacrificing performance for 4k, they opted for a really intense form of anti-aliasing on the image which will clean it up a large amount. Meanwhile, many games also seem to be offering super-sampling, which is essentially when they downscale the 4k assets to 1080p, meaning you get a bit more detail than normal 1080p, with less aliasing.

I think the point is, since FFXV is supposed to be HDR enabled and have a 4k upscale option, it will look markedly better on the Pro. The question is whether that matters for you, your budget, and your setup. I'm personally getting a Pro, because I've yet to buy a PS4. I don't have a 4k display, nor an HDR capable display. But a lot of games are offering performance improvements it seems, not to mention I can take advantage of the super-sampling. With all of the extra toys it requires to work optimally, the Pro is definitely an investment to get the most out of it. To some people that's worth it, to others it's not. But for me, I'm a performance junkie, and like my games to run well. So that's why I'm getting it. If I can get games like Bloodborne and DS3 to consistently hit 30fps without the annoying frame pacing issues, then the Pro will be worth it to me.

EDIT: Here's a great video talking about all these things by the way. They don't specifically touch on FFXV, but it does a good job of highlighting the context of the Pro and how it's being used by most teams:

i intend to buy XV on the Xbox One.. I have flipped back and forth over time as to which of the two I prefer but right now I'm favouring the Scorpion as well over the pro.

However having said that it's quite possible that one of the main points of the 2 month delay is to optimise how the game plays on the PS4P with it coming out around the same time. Either way it will make a big difference if you have a 4K screen however I'm not expecting a massive change to the gameplay, just more detail in the world and the vfx to have a marked improvement.. which just isn't enough for me.

Besides who doesn't replay their FF games over time.. I think I'd love to see the improvement down the line, maybe once XV has had even ore performance patches to help with the PS4P if there are issues at launch

I don't think a single game has ever made me buy a console, let alone a game from a franchise that hasn't put out a game i've liked in like 10 years. :mokken: I'm gonna rent it, and perhaps buy it if I see value in it. I don't trust these sneaky devs anymore :ahmed:

I mean...if I really do have that itch to play this game, I may as well purchase it for the Pro as I don't even have a PS4 at the moment.

I figure I may as well shell out an extra £90 to make my purchase slightly more futureproof if I'm going to spend an exorbitant sum of money on what is essentially a very limited and locked-down proprietary PC.

I'll just be buying FF15 for my standard PS4. I'm not overly bothered about graphics (though I do aaaaah at some moments in games), so I won't be grabbing a pro for a long time, unless some sort of limited edition console that I like the look of is released.

Either way, I see no reason to upgrade my fully working PS4 at the moment. 4K is meaningless to me and probably to most other gamers; a 4K TV etc just isn't financially feasible, especially for such a minor upgrade.

I will be playing it on my original PS4.As nice as the Pro looks,I can't afford to buy another new console.Plus my ps4 works just fine,so I don't see a need to change.

I was always going to buy Final Fantasy XV on the PS4 anyway, the Pro didn't do anything to influence that decision. I will wait until I get a 4K TV before even considering to buy the PS4 Pro. Although with my current TV being quite problematic for a little while now that might be sooner than I initially planned.

I'm disappointed that Pro doesn't play UHD Blu-ray >.> How are you trying to introduced another new format but not push it with the new hardware your releasing. I don't think I'm going to upgrade to Pro. Definitely buying the game though, looks awesome!

I'm disappointed that Pro doesn't play UHD Blu-ray >.> How are you trying to introduced another new format but not push it with the new hardware your releasing. I don't think I'm going to upgrade to Pro. Definitely buying the game though, looks awesome!

It's pretty simple; 4K Blu-Ray is doing terribly. The format is an utter flop so far, both because of the price of each movie, and because most people still don't have 4K televisions. Future proofing isn't a bad idea, but I think Sony understands that it's more important that the Pro price goes no higher than the original PS4 launch price of $400. They couldn't use the new drive for games, because that would either require selling two versions of the same game, or packaging each game with two versions of the game. So literally the only use for a 4K Blu-Ray drive would be to serve a failing, niche market. Sony and company have other, more efficient formats in the works, so we'll probably see those used in the future instead. I think it's wise to skip 4K Blu-Ray, and just move to what they have coming next, 4-5 years from now or whatever.

I hear what your saying, I wish they would've waited to introduce 4K bluray altogether. But other than that I really don't see any incentive aside from my PS4 taking a crap on me to go out and get a Pro.

I get that. The only reason I'm buying a Pro, is because I don't yet own a PS4. I can't take advantage of the 4K, or the HDR, but getting the potential performance boosts (as well as supersampling at 1080p) are worth it to me; they wouldn't be if I already had a PS4 though.

But yeah, waiting to introduce 4K Blu-Ray would've been smart. I think they were scared that digital was going to progress far faster than it has (it'll still totally consume physical media in the mass market eventually, but I think they thought it was going to be a lot sooner), so they released 4K Blu-Ray now in hopes of riding the last of the physical media wave. Unfortunately, nobody cared, lol.

You think physical media will get totally consumed eventually? That is going to be a sad day lol. I can definitely see it happening but there are so many people out there, my self included who like to collect and build a library of titles. Not to mention the limited edition packaging on some of these movies and games that come out. The future is scary :cookie:

I don't personally think everything will go completely digital. They'll probably stick to selling both digital and physical versions of a film in one sale and please all people. That's how I hope it'll work anyway. Like @SolidKeith , I like to have a collection to look at. Can you imagine buying a tonne of stuff and still being in an empty room, looking at your empty shelves? :/

You think physical media will get totally consumed eventually? That is going to be a sad day lol. I can definitely see it happening but there are so many people out there, my self included who like to collect and build a library of titles. Not to mention the limited edition packaging on some of these movies and games that come out. The future is scary :cookie:

In the mass market, yes. Digital will consume physical. The important term is 'mass market' though. Everything that's ubiquitous eventually becomes obsolete. You will always have collectors (myself included), which is why stuff like records still exist. But that's a niche market, not the mass market. It's no different from TV. If you'd have told most people in 2005 that television would be plummeting in the next ten years, and streaming would be the new juggernaut, a lot of people would have scoffed. "Sure streaming may be big, but television won't end up that much smaller." they'd have said. I probably would have agreed. And yet...

I suppose the point is that, it's only a matter of time before these companies see the lack of profit physical media is offering them. While it won't completely disappear per-se, it all will be limited run collectors items, rather than commonplace in every electronics entertainment store. If they only make 1500 physical copies of FFXVIII in 2025 or whatever, it's guaranteed to stay niche, because only 1500 people can buy it. It'd be a self-fulfilling prophecy at that point.

To add to the above comments, I'd also say you've got to recognize the political implications of an all-digital console marketplace. On PC things are different because it's the PC. It hasn't been driven by physical media ever since the internet became a thing. Piracy drove the adoption of legitimate digital marketplaces because it was the only way publishers could compete. But consoles didn't have that problem. There was still piracy, sure, but not in the same form. Before the PS3 and Xbox 360 consoles practically didn't even have internal storage. A large demographic of console owners relied on Christmas and birthday gifts to get new games. There simply wasn't the same motivation to push adoption of digital downloads.

But there's also bigger challenges facing the removal of physical media from consoles: physical game stores. Think about it: all Sony and Microsoft would have to do to shut down entire businesses and put thousands of people out of a job is release a console with no optical drive. Game stores can't survive on selling consoles and accessories alone. Maybe some niche businesses here and there, but not the mainstream corporations we have now.

And not all regions of the world have reliable enough internet access to go fully digital, either. Digital expects you to either have a big hard drive or the ability to delete and redownload games to shuffle around memory limitations, and both can get expensive depending on where you live.

So from a global perspective, Sony's and Microsoft's hands are tied. I think if they had the choice they would have removed the optical drive at the start of this generation. Forcing everyone to use their own stores means more profit to them, after all, and streaming services would love it too. But the consequences are too significant at this point in time for them to pull the plug. They'll wait until the mainstream audience abandons physical media on its own so that they can remove the drive and claim innocence for everyone left who is affected.

If I would get a Playstation 4 I would get the Pro version. It has a 1 Terra byte hard drive, it has double GPU, a boosted clock rate, can be used on any HDTV, High Dynamic Range (HDR) capability for an extra $100 dollars. I think that it is worth the extra $100 dollars for all this new features.

I would be happy to have a simple PS4, I don't really care about the Slim and Pro versions to be honest. It's partly because I don't really understand he difference between PS4 and PS4 Pro (I mean yes, I saw the datas but all of them are Chinese for me x,D)... and because my friend showed me his PS4 and I loved that console!:D It seems to be perfect for me.

If I would get a Playstation 4 I would get the Pro version. It has a 1 Terra byte hard drive, it has double GPU, a boosted clock rate, can be used on any HDTV, High Dynamic Range (HDR) capability for an extra $100 dollars. I think that it is worth the extra $100 dollars for all this new features.

From what I have been watching in the previews, the ps4 version looks amazing in graphics now. There were concerns of a downgrade but they definitely polished and fixed all that. For that very reason, I'm going to pass on the Pro at launch and maybe next year if I get one, I'll play FFXV on it to see differences. Right now, though there is not any reason for me to invest in it when the game looks phenomenal. Don't forget that you won't see much difference on a TV without HDR and 4k.

Back