Gil
Rinoa Heartilly
Squall Leonhart
Tifa Lockhart
Jenova
Moogle
Cactuar
iSmiff said I could make threads so here I am :griin:

So what are everyone's hopes, fears and predictions for the remake?

HOPES: They add far more extensive detail about Jenova and Cetra. This was always a goldmine just waiting to be explored, in my opinion. Nothing else in the story provides so much potential as the history and origins of Jenova and Cetra. I always felt like it was such a shame that they haven't done anything with them yet, like an origins side game or novel, or hell, some discussion in the Ultimanias! :hmph: So I hope to see more information regarding these two species. And if they do that and do it right I'll be so happy with it.

HOPES: They fix Cloud's fucking weight and lack of muscles. It's killing me looking at him like that. :dead:

PREDICTION #1
: I was talking with my sister and she and I are predicting that there will be an end to the ebil love triangle once and for all :ahmed: with visual proof I mean :grin: However, we're thinking that they're going to make both conclusions optional but satisfying enough for both sides to finally shut up about it. I know everyone is probably expecting that, but I feel like it's a real possibility that they're planning on satisfying both fandoms.

FEAR #1: I foresee a shit ton of Zack Fair content... and I am dreading the thought. :ugh: I cannot stand Zack as a character, I liked his old character but his latest rendition is just horrid. He's Tidus... but a rip off. And everyone hates Tidus but loves Zack for some reason and it irks me. :ahmed: I'm worried that they're going to make every little thing Cloud ever did, said, or experienced """"belong"""" to Zack first, if that happens it'll be the death of me.
:hal:

FEAR #2: Aerith's voice will be the same shitty VA from Crisis Core, they'll put Aerith in skimpy clothes, and make her act like her OOC version from Crisis Core.
:toni:

FEAR #3: It will be a cheesy mess like Dirge of Cerberus. :hmph:

Now you :ohoho:

I could talk for ages about this but I'll keep it short.

I hope:

- they work on clarifying the story of the original before adding anything. I heard the original was rushed out the door, leaving plenty of bugs in the final game. I wonder if some of the story could have been clearer were the developers given more time to work on the game.

- they make Vincent and Yuffie mandatory characters this time around. You'll notice in the original both were left out of the CGIs and climactic scenes which is a shame.

- they incorporate additional modes and mini games similar to the FFs that came after VII. I'd like to see them expand on the Gold Saucer, particularly the Chocobo and Battle Squares.

- they expand on the materia system and fix the imbalances of the first battle system.

I fear:

- they'll implement the exact same battle system in FFXV. Granted I haven't played the final product, but when I tried it out in the platinum demo it seemed clunky and very one dimensional tactically speaking.

- they'll retcon the story far too much and alter the feel and tone of the original.

- they'll portray Aerith and Tifa as annoying, suggestively moaning Vanille types.

- they'll drop enemy skill.

- they'll lose plenty of the grit of the original game by cleaning up the environments.

I predict:

- they will make the love triangle even more ambiguous than it was in the first game, spawning a debate that drags on until they announce the remake of the remake and beyond.

- they will shoehorn in a lot more Zack content in the hopes fans will demand a remake of Crisis Core, which lets face it they will.

I just had another idea...

Hopes: I hope that they show Shinra trying to steal Aerith more realistically. It makes no sense that a totalitarian corporation and government would be so relaxed about the person they think can bring them power just living nearby and not helping them. watching Before Crisis, I really like how they portrayed AVALANCHE and Shinra both going after Aerith so desperately. AVALANCHE chasing Aerith to "protect her" (not really tho) is an awesome touch and I really wish they would add that in the remake. This is a huge retcon (because Aerith and Barret don't know about either) but it'd add so much to the story.

So I hope we see Shinra really really trying to capture Aerith throughout the first part until she dies. It'd be awesome to see Barret trying to protect Aerith like how the Al-bed were protecting Yuna as a way to make up for Fuhito. :ohoho:

Hopes
-they clear up a lot of the bad translation
-they actually explain Aeriths past with Shinra better
- they don't make the dlc the stuff that was already in the game like getting knights of the round and fighting weapons.
-speaking of which hope we can explore the outside world better.

Fears
-get too much Zack, Angeal, and Genesis is going get added... And the three from Advent Children.
-they episodic will stop a part right at a climatic part...
-Shinra will be seen less evil now since they were almost good guys in other games...
-Won't be able to fight the Turks and kill them at the end the third disks.

Expectations

- more clarity in the story.
- dlc

Hopes -
More locations - Look how few actual locations there are on the world map. I understand there needs to be a limit but I definitely hope theres more content in between the major locations.

Expansion of the Gold Saucer - I know others have said this but it really was alot of fun. More Battle Square possibilities, a greater Chocobo racing Career etc etc. I really think there is massive potential here. Think of all the Cosmetic DLC they could fob off on us! Racing uniforms? Alternate Chocobo Colours? Nothing game changing of course. Purely cosmetic.

Fears -
The battle system - I know many people will say the story is ultimately what the game was about but I can't be the only one that actually liked the battle system too? There's definitely room for improvement in terms of the whole materia/combo and even the limit breaks but I don't want to just be playing as one character in battles. Too much of XII, XIII and from what i've seen of XV is automated and I hate that. I'm a strategist not a robot :sad3:

Weapon Upgrading - No. Please no. I mean it worked pretty well in X but it was just a piece of trash in XIII. I much prefer the more classic progression of buying them from shops as you go along. It made gil seem somewhat valuable before there was an abundance of it. I've never been one to grind alot so I didn't have lots so I always had to prioritise whats gear/materia to buy and sell at each new shop and location.

Music - Probably my biggest fear. I LOVED the OST and so if this is fucked around with too much i'll be pissed. I don't want to much new stuff unless it's for completely new locations, which is fair enough. I want remastered and higher quality versions of the originals. :mokken: So much of the original OST really set up the atmosphere for the game.

Poor or unnecessary voice acting - Does every line need to be voice acted? No. I hope it's purely for cut scenes.

Expectations -

Inclusion of the wider FF7 spectrum - You know it's gonna happen. Sephiroth is gonna mention Genesis and Angeal and there will be hidden files in the shinra mansion talking about deepground or some shit. I just hope it's done right. Crisis Core story was kinda shit in my opinion so I hope they don't shove it down our throats.

It's worrying that I mainly have fears. But the original is just so good theres so much they can fuck up :sad3:

I could talk for ages about this but I'll keep it short.

I hope:

- they work on clarifying the story of the original before adding anything. I heard the original was rushed out the door, leaving plenty of bugs in the final game. I wonder if some of the story could have been clearer were the developers given more time to work on the game.

- they make Vincent and Yuffie mandatory characters this time around. You'll notice in the original both were left out of the CGIs and climactic scenes which is a shame.

- they incorporate additional modes and mini games similar to the FFs that came after VII. I'd like to see them expand on the Gold Saucer, particularly the Chocobo and Battle Squares.

I fear:

- they'll implement the exact same battle system in FFXV. Granted I haven't played the final product, but when I tried it out in the platinum demo it seemed clunky and very one dimensional tactically speaking.

- they'll retcon the story far too much and alter the feel and tone of the original.

- they'll portray Aerith and Tifa as annoying, suggestively moaning Vanille types.

- they'll drop enemy skill.

- they'll lose plenty of the grit of the original game by cleaning up the environments.

I predict:

- they will make the love triangle even more ambiguous than it was in the first game, spawning a debate that drags on until they announce the remake of the remake and beyond.

- they will shoehorn in a lot more Zack content in the hopes fans will demand a remake of Crisis Core, which lets face it they will.

All of the above!!!

My biggest, biggest fear is that they alter the story at all. I just don't think that's what this game needs, I don't think it's what people want.

I have a very open approach when it comes to the remake, though... It turns out fantastic, that's great. It turns out miserably, go figure, we knew they couldn't top the original! *Goes back to play the one and only original*

:lew:

All of the above!!!

My biggest, biggest fear is that they alter the story at all. I just don't think that's what this game needs, I don't think it's what people want.

I have a very open approach when it comes to the remake, though... It turns out fantastic, that's great. It turns out miserably, go figure, we knew they couldn't top the original! *Goes back to play the one and only original*

:lew:
It's very divided with people that played the original. Some are against story changes, and some are looking forward to them so that way they aren't experiencing the exact same thing. If the original game was to just get updated graphics, it would not get the same praise as it did back in 1997. The world has not stayed in an isolated time freeze for 19+ years. In that time span, enough time passed for a person to be born and have completed high school or gotten very close to it. Expectations and viewpoints are bound to be different solely based on that. It would be too safe of a goal to just satisfy the older fans, and neglect new ones or potential new ones. The same is true with the vice versa.

I could add about 30 more bullets to each of these, but here's my best shot.

Hopes:

• They nail the story as it was, but also go into a little bit of the backstory behind the formation of Avalanche. I have seen AC, have played Crisis Core / Dirge / FFVII, so I get the premise of Shinra. The thing I don't get is how the misfits that are known as avalanche became such an unlikely brigade of terrorists. So let's flesh that out.
  • They add quite a bit more detail from AC => FFVII remake in terms of texture, map layout, and character design. I know Advent children took the cake, but honestly with today's graphics engines they are mini PCs and you can put a lot more into the visuals.
  • They bring back the airship and make it as big as Cid's ego! I mean let's talk about it, seriously, aside from FFVII I haven't seen that much thought process put into the airship. Ragnorok from VIII was okay, but it was largely overshadowed by Cid's baby.
  • Lastly, they keep Aerith dead. Sorry, but it was what brought people together before and after when she was gone. Zack => Aerith => Cloud - They had to figure it out but I think they put the story together. Not going into details, since this is not for this thread.
  • They strategize the release structure, so that with each episode leaves you wanting more. The release could happen every year or every two, as long as they fill the user up with expense.

Fears:

• They try to derail the story by putting too much focus into one particular area.
  • They try to put too much focus on Cloud.
  • They try to add another love arch, taking away from the story.
  • They leave Aerith alive causing all sorts of a different story.
  • They take away from the adult themes due to trying to market to an audience of 9-18 year olds, instead of the original audience.
  • They remove the "Weapons" and add some other weird extra boss as a filler. OR they take the Weapons and make it so you have to fight them multiple times throughout the game, instead of being an extra.
  • They delay the releases in such a way that makes people lose interest between episodes.

Predictions:

• They will need to make this sell obviously, so with the re-evaluation of the game itself they will remove some stuff. Whether it's bad or good, and what they replace it with.. I'll have to ask myself really.
  • Notoriously SE has cut corners somewhere, so I believe we will see less focus on the Combat System overall, but more on the videos that they bring into the game.
  • I think they will deliver what MOST of us want, but there will still be the folks that are going to get butt heart that they left out a detail or two.
  • I think one of the episodes will take longer than the other, and this will cause some upsets. Like what other projects are going on at SE aside from this, and how much of a budget do they have?

Providing all these, I'm still optimistic because after all if they keep the story near the same with better graphics, that's all I really wanted in the first place. I don't like Remakes with a different spin, because they come off either as a short telling or more laughable than serious. This was the first Adult natured FF game, so if they stick to their roots, I could see this being amazing. If they try to make a lot of changes to the story, they are going to flop.

I think SE might have built a possibly good model for episode release. certainly seems to have helped with the latest Hitman.. however the sheer size of FF7 could leave us with long delays between episodes.. if its a full price retail and equivalent size for game length I would expect 6 maybe even 12 moneys bridging each release.. like .Hack did. Hooking people will depend on the game being good and ending on high notes.. I wonder where they will choose to booked each part of the story.

If anything I'd expect integration of many compilation of FF7 extras.. probably adding extra bosses from general FF lore.

I think SE might have built a possibly good model for episode release. certainly seems to have helped with the latest Hitman.. however the sheer size of FF7 could leave us with long delays between episodes.. if its a full price retail and equivalent size for game length I would expect 6 maybe even 12 moneys bridging each release.. like .Hack did. Hooking people will depend on the game being good and ending on high notes.. I wonder where they will choose to booked each part of the story.

If anything I'd expect integration of many compilation of FF7 extras.. probably adding extra bosses from general FF lore.

My guess is that the first game will greatly extend the exploits in Midgar. Midgar is a huge place that barely gets explored in the original. It only makes sense to expand it. Plus, it gives them time to really explore things that felt kind of rushed in the original, like Avalanche, and the relationship between Cloud and Aeris. I personally think that the first game will almost entirely take place in Midgar. They'll probably end it with the escape.

The second game is then free to go from there, all the way up to the death of Aeris. That seems both like a good amount of space to fill out a whole game, it really would contrast the first game well, since it opposes the Shinra control of Midgar with the freedom and diversity of the outside world.

Then I think the final game will be the rest of the original. I've heard people say they think they'll split them up just like the original three discs... but they forget that the third disc was basically nothing but the final dungeon. Splitting them this way instead gives the third game enough content, and allows the second game to end on the most iconic moment of the whole FF series. Also, yes, I think it'll be a trilogy. Just feels right to me.

I personally hope that they won't include any of the compilation stuff. Part of that is because a lot of it was crap as far as writing goes. But also I don't think it'll do anything but serve to get in the way. it adds to many elements to a game that was already near bursting at the seems. I can see the maybe adding the stuff from Crisis Core as playable backstory (maybe during the part where Tifa 'fixes' Cloud when they're in the Lifestream), but I hope it distances itself from Dirge, Before Crisis, and all of the Angeal/Genesis stuff. I also think the Advent Children stuff would only really work if it was a post story DLC, because it would sully what is otherwise a fantastic ending if the game just continued on after Sephiroth is defeated. If any of this stuff makes it in, it'll need to be massively reworked to the point where it doesn't even resemble the original Compilation stuff anymore... and likely, neither will FFVII itself. So I say it's more risky than it's worth, and should be avoided like the plague.

Hopes:
- Higher difficulty (seriously I love FF7 but there was almost no challenge to the game whatsoever)
- A nice open world to explore, maybe with more locations than the original
- A better ending than the original
- The ability to switch between characters on the fly

Fears:
- Extreme character flanderization (Just look at what happened to Cloud and Aerith in Advent Children and Crisis Core respectively. Cloud was turned into a mopey one-dimensional emo with none of the depth or sense of humour he had from the game. Aerith was turned into a brainless airhead with none of the cunning or mischievousness from the original game. What happened to the Aerith who came up with the idea for Cloud to crossdress in order to infiltrate the Don's mansion? In CC she needed Zack to come up with the idea for her to sell flowers to raise money, and she needed him (specifically him) to fix the wagon)
- Retconning of characters like Genesis, Angeal and the Sephiroth boyband trio from Advent Children who added nothing of value to the story
- Too much focus on Zack (on that note I agree 100% with the TC regarding Zack)
- More lame and annoying gimmicks like the DMW system being shoehorned in somewhere

Predictions:
- My fears will become reality

Back