Black Mage
Terra
Cloud Strife
FFXIV
Shu
FFXIV Server
Lamia
obzrffikcd7nhfs4hoge.png

So I came across an article from a buddy of mine (Shikyo from Gaia FC) that put a lot of emphasis on how easy FFXIV now. For those that have played the two, what do you prefer in terms? You are welcome to list the pros and the cons of both, since I know these are NOT trying to be the same game.

Article references:

http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xi-was-so-challenging-it-brought-people-1785114506

I haven't played FFXI and my MMO experience is very limited. That being said I have read up on what the game was like back at its supposed halcyon days.

Would I like a stronger sense of community, with more use of the shout chat in zones? Certainly, though some of the nonsense I have seen in Eastern La Noscea chat at the start of the latest Moonfire Faire event does make me realise how bloody juvenile a lot of people are.

But there's a clear reason why the post-WoW model works these days and why average player retention rate remains as relatively high as it is. The average player isn't going to have time or likely the will to stand around in town for a lengthy amount of time to find a party just to do virtually anything. The current post-WoW degree of convenience has its clear drawbacks in that it doesn't do much to facilitate the social aspects central to an MMO, but I would much rather have what FFXIV currently has than FFXI circa 2003. I'm not asking for instant gratification, but I would at least like to get something done in maybe two hours or so than to remain in Windurst twiddling my thumbs and wondering if I can get a group in time to make the run to Junon. Heck, if I'm short on luck, I could end up ostracised from a group because I have a job combination that isn't wanted by the playerbase.

Personally I don't feel like I lack that social environment. It's probably because I have existing friends in the game (the FC and the various Linkshells I am in) and it's never hard to rope in a few pairs of hands to do a run with. I'll admit, I'm not as social as I want to be with people outside of my FC/LS circles, but I'm someone who barely ever (if at all) engages with Party Finder or cutting-edge raid content so it's to be expected that I'm not super familiar with other people on the server.

FFXIV is ultimately what one makes of it.

Funnily enough I replied to this and then realised i needed to expand on it so ended up ranting on my own blog.

I'd meant to do the blog post anyways just answering this gave me enough to turn into a full fledged one. But yea I never played XI but kinda wish I had now.

I played XI after it was released for several years. XI has changed significantly since then, but my account is that of the "glory days" of the game.

XIV is quick satisfaction. You can level quickly, get great gear in a short amount of time. You don't need help with much of anything. The game isn't complex at all. Everything is a pattern fight. Aside from being generally aware of how to play your job and to dodge circles, there's not much to know.

XI was a gigantic headache. Nothing came easy. You pretty much required everyone putting aside their time to help you in order to get something you need. Leveling required waiting long periods of time for a party, traveling to a camp, competing against other parties for kills, spending several hours gaining mediocre amounts of xp. IF you managed to get a good party, nobody would leave. Not strange to spend 12hrs with the same group. You die, you probably lost about an hours worth of xp as a penalty. If eventually you got to max level, you were fucking PROUD. XI forced you to either become good, or quit.

XIV endgame is glorified farming. You put together a team of people to go out and do the same fight over and over for mounts, or whatever.

XI endgame required bringing your entire LS to a location in order to wait for an HNM to spawn. Even then you might not get the claim.... probably not going to get the claim. Even if you did, then you gotta fight it. You screw up and everyone dies. You don't kill fast enough, everyone dies. Because of intense rivalries with other linkshells, if everyone dies (decent chance), your LS will be mocked until the end of time. It's the equivalent of pissing yourself in High School. Btw, even if you kill it its not going to drop the uber item that you wanted.

XIV FCs are sort of a social gathering. People kind of hangout, enjoy each others company.

XI LSs were a prestige thing. You've been granted the right to raid with us. Nobody even has to like each other.

I can't tell you that XI was for even a moment enjoyable... and yet I have no hesitation in saying it was superior. XIV is like going to see a movie. XI is like reading the book. One is more fun, the other becomes a part of you. I wish they could bang and pop out a kid with all the best traits.

Back