Multiple Platforms No Man's Sky

rowe

Eternally Begrudged
Veteran
Gil
No_Man%27s_Sky.jpg

- Developed by Hello Games.
- Releases on Playstation 4 and Microsoft Windows.
- Playstation 4 release dates are August 9, 2016 (US) and August 10, 2016 (EU). Worldwide Microsoft Windows release date is August 12, 2016.

Focal Points
  • Procedurally-generated universe, using deterministic algorithms and random number generators.
    • Makes the overall game smaller in size, versus, say, The Last of Us or Grand Theft Auto V.
    • Allows for over an estimated 18 quintillion (or more) planets to visit.
      • Allows for different ecosystems, fauna, flora, topography, etc.
      • "The developers aimed for a 90–10 rule, with around 90% of the planets being uninhabitable, and of the 10% that do support life, 90% of those only include mundane lifeforms, making the planets that thrive with a vivid ecosystem rare."
  • The primary goals are both exploration and survival, all while ultimately trying to reach "the center of the universe".
  • While not a multiplayer game at its core, other players can meet. Those chances are extremely rare, though, considering the size of the game's universe.
    • A matchmaking system is used when said rare encounters do happen.
    • As said by one of the game's directors, "Each online player has an 'open lobby' that any players in their in-universe proximity will enter and leave. Players are able to track friends on the galactic map, and the system maps; to ensure they are able to meet up and explore together."
  • Players will be able to track new worlds and discoveries, through what is called "Atlas".
    • Must be accessed through beacons on the planets.
    • All sorts of information about planets can be entered, and players can even name their discoveries.
I think that's the short of it? Haha.

Sadly, I didn't pre-order this one, but I'll be getting it soon. So look out for me taking over some planets in no time! :gasp:

I was watching a first impressions video while waiting for my online lecture to start earlier. Game actually looks interesting though I think the amount of planets and stuff is just silly. Especially when most of what you're gonna find will be useless and/or slight variations of what you've already seen. Oh that rock is now green?! HOW EXCITING xD And yeah, the odds of running into another player is astronomically low - worse than you'd think if what I've heard is true - and that's kinda dull.

Cool art style but meh. I think it will burn out quickly

So, apparently, on day one of release, Hello Games' servers were down for the majority of the day. :lew: I guess they didn't predict the game would be so popular right out of the gate; they weren't even prepared for it.

At least their big guy had a sense of humor about it.

Screen-Shot-2016-08-09-at-6.28.36-PM.png

Apparently 10 million species were discovered on day one... Which articles state is more species than have been discovered on Earth.

And two players have already met in-game.

I've ordered a copy of the game. I'm a little bit concerned that it'll get repetitive, etc, but it does look incredible and I can't wait to try it out.

From IGN:

NO MAN'S SKY PC PLAYERS DROPPED BY 90% IN TWO WEEKS

The No Man's Sky user-base has dropped significantly on PC since its launch two weeks ago.

According to SteamSpy's statistics, there were a little above 20,000 players in No Man's Sky's PC world this week, down from approximately 212,000 at launch. Take note that these numbers aren't the total number of users playing No Man's Sky on PC, rather, the number of users playing simultaneously.

While player drop-off is by no means unusual for a new release game with major hype behind it, such an extreme drop-off in such a short space of time might raise some eyebrows (The Division on PC, for example, had an 81% drop-off a little less than two months after launch). However, these numbers do not reflect users playing PlayStation 4.

Ouch, Hello Games.

Simultaneous players or not, that seems like a rather substantial dip. Also, if there are any numbers our there, I'm curious what they are for PS4 players.

Last edited:
From IGN:Simultaneous players or not, that seems like a rather substantial dip. Also, if there are any numbers our there, I'm curious what they are for PS4 players.

Not really. It's pretty common for the player dropoff to be 75-85% after the first month. Video game players are fickle.

Perhaps I should've put the title of the article in there right away. Anyway.

Not really. It's pretty common for the player dropoff to be 75-85% after the first month.
Yeah, 90% after two weeks released, though. Shorter time, higher drop-off. Could raise slight concern in general.

Who knows, though. It could pick up after a time. I'm still eager to play, and possibly meet others. :lew:

Perhaps I should've put the title of the article in there right away. Anyway.

Yeah, 90% after two weeks released, though. Shorter time, higher drop-off. Could raise slight concern in general.

Who knows, though. It could pick up after a time. I'm still eager to play, and possibly meet others. :lew:

It will every time theres a new gameplay feature. I just think the game is bland and people are bored of it already. It's like Pokemon go. Look at the ridiculous hype in the first few weeks of that? Now? absolutely HUGE decreases in daily players. Apparently the very BEST decrease after a month in recent years has been StarDew Valley which lost only 30% after its first month.

Back