Serious Do Minority Lives Matter in the US?

I'm not going that far back in history, although I would disagree with your stance for that time frame. A lot of slaves, especially ones from the south during the time, were considered to be nothing more than disposable property. Even when some slaves were allowed to vote, they would only be considered 3/5's of a person. Native Americans were forced into smaller and smaller living areas. I would not be surprised if Asians that worked in the mines ended up with diseases and ended up dead. The services various minorities could provide back then was valued a lot more universally in comparison to their actual life imo. You are free to go more in depth with others on that area, but I am personally going to be more focused on the modern times.

I think that's sort of Shace's point, is that even just the term 'matter' is up for debate. We really couldn't have built this country without the work of the African slaves, or the Chinese that helped build the railways, etc. Objectively, they mattered. But morally, they didn't (to the people at the time). There's a distinction there that I think Shace is trying to call attention to. What context we're talking about, whether it be time, race of the person being asked, their living conditions, where in the country we're talking about, their political stance, whether we're talking moral or objective... everything has the potential to change the answer to your initial question, and those answers can change simply by pairing one of those previous pieces of context with another.

To me personally though, your question has always been a moral one, and has been about the current times, big picture United States. And again, in that sense I'd still say yes, minorities matter to most Americans, as human beings that deserve equality and happy lives. But basically every piece of context -including election related stuff- can get in the way of that, making it seem like far fewer people care than that actually do.

I think that's sort of Shace's point, is that even just the term 'matter' is up for debate. We really couldn't have built this country without the work of the African slaves, or the Chinese that helped build the railways, etc. Objectively, they mattered. But morally, they didn't (to the people at the time). There's a distinction there that I think Shace is trying to call attention to. What context we're talking about, whether it be time, race of the person being asked, their living conditions, where in the country we're talking about, their political stance, whether we're talking moral or objective... everything has the potential to change the answer to your initial question, and those answers can change simply by pairing one of those previous pieces of context with another.

This is more where I was going for, when you talking about if anything matters really. Even on a Moral level we gotta look at what is going on in the United States right now when asking for it.. It is easy to say it matters, but then we ask in what way do they matter... I mean do they matter so that some people can easily blame another group for some bad events, or do they matter to help make America a better place or do they matter to a person like any America in here on a personal level... Then you can get more confusing and ask to what degree and how far do you go out of your way to prove minorities matter on a moral level to you personally...

Sorry don't mean to complicate this, just trying to give my 10 cents.

I'm not going that far back in history, although I would disagree with your stance for that time frame. A lot of slaves, especially ones from the south during the time, were considered to be nothing more than disposable property. Even when some slaves were allowed to vote, they would only be considered 3/5's of a person. Native Americans were forced into smaller and smaller living areas. I would not be surprised if Asians that worked in the mines ended up with diseases and ended up dead. The services various minorities could provide back then was valued a lot more universally in comparison to their actual life imo. You are free to go more in depth with others on that area, but I am personally going to be more focused on the modern times.

Well we could also talk about modern times in the non acceptance of Latino workers. By the definition an illegal immigrant is a made up word. Caucasian Americans are all illegal aliens by that definition. The founding fathers were all illegal aliens. The border protection is a joke.

To assume all of the Mexican Nationality are all drug mules coming across the border is the new norm. This is god awful. It's about as terrible as saying all Syrian Refugees are terrorists. The world events aside and just focusing on the US, there is a huge problem with recognizing and REPRESENTING minorities.

I might be the token white guy here, but let get on this ole soap box. I have plenty of Latino friends who have been forced into trade school due to the inability to get proper financial aid for University Schooling due to background checks coming back with ineligible due to family details. You want a race that really gets the shaft? This is it. I mean that's backwards as hell. US was founded on so many false promises if that is the case.

Mexican families come across the border to ensure of safety of family and shelter. With any PERSON there is a need to belong. What often times occurs is in a minority mindset, the idea is to stick together and trust family due to who can you trust. Some family members want to take the fast track and do what it takes to get money for their family. This often times ends up with drugs and such, due to it ensures money in the short run. This takes away from the modest Latino man who works his whole life here in the states to ensure a future for his family. Now the mindset is to think of deportation of these individuals? WHY? What reason are they illegal? Who governs this? Bullshit.

Imagine that mentality was not needed and you had a stable acceptance of Latino workers. Ohhhh no we can not have this, because that makes life less comfortable for privileged white collared people who had everything given to them by their gold/oil/bank parents. Do you know how many jobs out source to Vietnam and India due to cheap labor? It's backwards by saying that Latino workers are taking jobs. If my friends are taking your jobs, then work harder and abstract what you do to do better. Otherwise if you want to rationalize this globalization takes way more jobs than does Latino jobs.

Here's the truth:

1) It costs around 4 dollars an hour to outsource to a Hindi who has their degree. - In this situation you risk quality and also source code IP (intellectual property) security.
2) It costs around 4-6 dollars an hour to illegally (cash) pay for labor for a contract job on a house by Latinos. THIS DOES NOT GIVE THEM BENEFITS SUCH AS HEALTH INSURANCE.
3) It costs 20+ dollars an hour to pay for an American with a degree to do the same job as point 1
4) It costs around 11-15 dollars an hour to hire out an American Citizen to do these high risk jobs as point 2 indicated. They get health insurance due to to being a citizen.

In point 1, this might pay for groceries in India for a whole month with one pay check. This includes a family of 4-6.
In point 2, this might pay for groceries in the US for a week or less. This includes a family of 4. This also does not provide health insurance, workers comp or life insurance in most scenarios. If they get hurt or even die their family inherits tons of medical debt. How the hell is this fair?

The difference is standard of living deviates between the two. India's economy is far cheaper, so Latino's are still getting shafted when trying to work a modest job here in the states.

So tell me who's representing them and who's doing something about this? Also then some asshat like Trump comes along and guarantees to deport them when the foundations that he's built were probably built by them. Let us do this, let's take away all buildings / institutions / trades (welding / carpentry) jobs that were completed and see what happens. The egomaniacs like Trump do not know who sits on the bottom of the totem poll doing the actual work. The actual cog wheels that totally run this.

Do you think Trump has ever lifted a hammer in his life or ever welded the material to put together a construct? Do you think his sons will? Do you think Hillary has ever had to worry about making it down to the social workers office to argue about food stamps and why their family is not getting fed or being put in public school due to lack of money for meals? You tell me. False representation is the minority way as of recent.

It only gets better (WAY WORSE), when public housing is removed to make room for businesses and entertainment like most major cities. City officials call it beautification process. What's beautification when you are removing what made these Cities' cultures what they are? Unaffordable and making rent from 100 dollars a month to 1400 dollars a month?

You want pissed off you are seeing it now. It will bleed into the middle then upper class. When the upper class gets affected buttons will be pressed and evil will happen I can assure you.

Back