As someone who didn't especially like this game, is it worth trying the rest of the series?

Gil
I tried this game and found it mostly average and forgettable, if not tedious and dated (though there were some things I liked about it). I've been curious about trying Final Fantasy but I've heard that this game is very representative of the franchise. In light of my experience, would it be worth trying other Final Fantasy games or are they all quite similar to this one? It's worth mentioning I liked Bravely Default, which a lot of people say is like a Final Fantasy game.

FFI - FFV are more alike to each other. Beyond VI, a lot more the FF mainline titles take a more modern or futuristic approach. Each FF mainline game from VI and onward is radically different from the previous number. That's the beauty and curse of the mainline series. You may absolutely hate one game, but love another. Could you be a little more specific on what you like so others can give you more accurate suggestions?

FFI - FFV are more alike to each other. Beyond VI, a lot more the FF mainline titles take a more modern or futuristic approach. Each FF mainline game from VI and onward is radically different from the previous number. That's the beauty and curse of the mainline series. You may absolutely hate one game, but love another. Could you be a little more specific on what you like so others can give you more accurate suggestions?

This. Everything from VI onward employs drastically different core mechanics and ideas, with the first five games being much more similar to each other. When FFXV is released, it'll mark the first time a mainline Final Fantasy isn't turn-based in some form. But beyond that, they get rather different. We can definitely help, but as FinalxxSin said, specifics will definitely help.

I tried this game and found it mostly average and forgettable, if not tedious and dated (though there were some things I liked about it). I've been curious about trying Final Fantasy but I've heard that this game is very representative of the franchise. In light of my experience, would it be worth trying other Final Fantasy games or are they all quite similar to this one? It's worth mentioning I liked Bravely Default, which a lot of people say is like a Final Fantasy game.

If you like BD because of it's job system and customization of abilities with mixing traits with other jobs then you may like V. While you don't get to add say three abilities because of the CP thing in BD you do get to use at least one cross ability unless you pick the Freelancer class in which you can pick two cross abilities. Plot is somewhat the same must go save the crystals, beyond that scope it's different.

This. Everything from VI onward employs drastically different core mechanics and ideas, with the first five games being much more similar to each other. When FFXV is released, it'll mark the first time a mainline Final Fantasy isn't turn-based in some form. But beyond that, they get rather different. We can definitely help, but as FinalxxSin said, specifics will definitely help.

It's hard to say, really. I suppose there was nothing I disliked about the type of game it was, it's just that a lot of its features seemed dated to me - too many random encounters, poorly written dialogue, repetitive battles, taking ages to figure out what to do, etc. One issue I did have was its lack of openness in the first half, though I did really like Chrono Trigger, which is just as linear. Mainly I just wanted to know that the series' games weren't all just variations on this one. If they're as varied as you say then it seems it would be worth trying more.

It's hard to say, really. I suppose there was nothing I disliked about the type of game it was, it's just that a lot of its features seemed dated to me - too many random encounters, poorly written dialogue, repetitive battles, taking ages to figure out what to do, etc. One issue I did have was its lack of openness in the first half, though I did really like Chrono Trigger, which is just as linear. Mainly I just wanted to know that the series' games weren't all just variations on this one. If they're as varied as you say then it seems it would be worth trying more.
In that case I'd advise to avoid FFVIII due to it's complex/complicated Junction system, along with avoiding FFX and FFXIII due to their linear nature. FFIX is probably going to be the most recent game that pays homage to FFI - FFV in a sense. If you wish to have even more control over battle, you could also look in FFXII, which is basically an MMORPG built as a single player experience. In FFXII, you are able to see enemies. Therefore you can avoid normal battles if you wanted.

Well like I said, XV will be the first one that isn't turn-based, though some of them like XII or XIII stray from the regular turn-based formula more than the others. Here are some decent choices (the spoiler tags will include video examples of the gameplay. Not every video is concise, so skip around in like the Let's Play videos and such to see a bit of everything):

If you're looking for something that's more open from the beginning, XII would be a decent choice. Plus, the translation/localization is fantastic, and there are no random encounters (all enemies are on screen, and there are no battle transitions). It's also generally great at directing the player, without holding their hand.

IX is kind of like the culmination of everything I-VI had to offer, but in a much more refined package. It's one of the few where the vast majority of the non-combat side quests are well designed and well integrated.

VII is almost obligatory to a lot of people. It offers free customization of your party members, rather than restricting them to specific jobs.

X is rather linear, but it offers a compelling set of characters and plot, with the mechanics feeling distinctly old school, without being near as frustrating as some of the older games.

Finally, XIII is aesthetically about as linear as it gets for the first half. But it's also the most drastically different game in the series in a lot of ways, and the second half is completely open, with tons of great combat-related side content. Meanwhile, its sequels, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns are pretty much completely open from the beginning, and offer some fantastically concise experiences. The stories can be a bit silly, but there are some nice characters in there, some great ideas, and again, a lot of worthwhile side content.

And just to be thorough, here's some example gameplay from XV, which comes out in September:

I think it comes down to an attention span issue. Alot of those old school FF's require a lot of patience. I know that was a big turn off for me too going back and playing FFVI and feeling like the random encounter rate was crazy high. My suggestion would be to try another FF that is a little faster paced, which would probably be Final Fantasy X. FFX is going to give you everything you love about FF, great story, characters, battle system, summons. FFX can be really fast paced which is nice (especially when you get haste) and will remind you of Bravely Default with the speed settings.

If you ever feel FFVI calling to you again though definitely give it another shot. I know I tried to play it a few years back as well because I heard alot of people liked it better than VII but I wasn't too impressed at the time either. It was only until recently when I started playing it that I truly appreciated it, and I freakin love this game now. Same thing happened when I played Chrono Trigger. I couldn't get into it before but now it's definitely one of my favorite games.

There really isn't much I can say that everyone else hasn't said already. With each game being radically different than the others it's hard to say. Maybe you could try one fgame from the PS2 era, and one of the XIII games? Trying one from each generation might give you a better idea to go off of, as opposed to looking for one game to try or just trying all of them.

ok first off you're going to hell for not enjoying FFVI

but it might be easier to suggest a title you might enjoy if you can tell people what you didn't enjoy about it. Final Fantasy VII was a big hit for gamers back then but it's easy to see how a game like FF7 could be lost on younger generations with it's pre rendered maps.

Final Fantasy X is also another popular title. If you ask us, we'll probably have you trying all of them - but avoid Final Fantasy XIII like the plague. It, and everything related to it is a hot mess lol. If you're going to give any of the games a chance, the only one worth playing is Lightning Returns... But you won't know who the hell any of the characters are or any of the story behind it.

But you know I didn't even finish the first game so it'll probably be okay. Better than the other two games, that's for sure.

I tried this game and found it mostly average and forgettable, if not tedious and dated.

Not sure if you're still around after the 2 posts you made here or not, but of course the game is going to be dated, it came out in the early to mid-90's and there's been 10 installments in the main series since then. If it's the graphics that seem dated, I will say (if you haven't already) finish the game. It'll bring the storyline full circle and I believe these older FF games have a more rich plot to them than the ones nowadays. I'd take a great story over eye pleasantries any day!

The ones after VI are all pretty different from each other though they're still loosely based upon the same classic formula i.e linearity, random encounters etc. Just try playing each of them for a few hours and see if they click. You may like FF12 as it's the most different from the rest of the series, but it's pretty grind heavy even by Final Fantasy standards.

I tried this game and found it mostly average and forgettable, if not tedious and dated (though there were some things I liked about it).

I felt the same way at first. I actually played it only around 30 minutes and dropped it (around 2002) I tried it again a few years later, I could finish the whole game but I didn't enjoy it much. Then recently because of boredom I played it for the third time, and I realized how great this game is. Sometimes you have to re-play and keep an open mind.

This is not a representative of the series, as each one is different in its own way.

Back