Bomb
Black Mage
Terra
Cloud Strife
FFXIV
Shu
FFXIV Server
Lamia
I have been seeing that 4.0 will be releasing potential classes and Samurai might be released, but I am yet to hear what the official verdict is.

Out of all the final fantasy games, and trust me, I played FFXI as well, what class/job would you like to see released and why?

Just to cross-post a couple of suggestions from another thread:

Tank: Geomancer.

All 3 tanks so far are burly Disciple of War jobs with huge, hulking weapons and Samurai as an expected addition would be a predictable tank, so I figure it would be interesting to completely role-bend something unexpected into a tank. Here is where Geomancer comes in.

Now, I have no actual clue how this would work. I chose Geomancer, because it would be something new and would require the development team to be genuinely creative. Geomancers are about manipulating the terrain and even weather around them for great effect. Maybe they can be the most impervious job when it comes to surviving AoE attacks. Maybe they can be like in Avatar: The Last Airbender and create temporary rock walls or whatever to mitigate the severity of hits while being at the top of the aggro list.

None of that would probably work in FFXIV without a lot of stretching and a lot of buffs I would imagine, but it would be more interesting than to have Samurai show up as a tank, to no one's surprise.

Healer: Dancer.

All our healers so far are Disciple of Magic users. What would be new? A Disciple of War healer who goes all melee range and still manages to heal the group. It won't happen, because certain fights like Ifrit EX require the healers to be ranged in order to work and you would need to create entirely new gear just for this new job (not that it's stopped them giving Ninjas their completely different gear). I don't know what else a Dancer can bring to the table though. If we're thinking about buffs and debuffs, Astrologians and Scholars already cover that ground. Conceivably, Dancers can still be support healers without the RNG element, but then people would rightfully abandon Astrologian in droves if so.

How Dancer can work in FFXIV is anyone's guess. FFXI seems to make the job a non-magic support/healer role but like I said, we already have a healer like that. The only thing I can think of is if they overhaul the game design incrementally until it gets to the point where custom builds are more viable and with much less emphasis on the tank/healer/DPS holy trinity. Dancer can therefore be a sort of genuine DPS/healer hybrid where the support and healing you give to the party is contingent on the damage you inflict. This could well make Dancer the most difficult job to play in the whole game as it stands, but that's all I have.

----------------

Ultimately, I would love to see the team take a bold leap forward and try to overhaul the whole jobs system. The practical problems and the torrents of constant patching to try and balance the creature they will have created may be immense, but the system as it is very limited in my opinion. Any new jobs they add will simply feel homogenised, similar to a counterpart but with a different skin. I enjoy playing Astrologian and all and its cards function is its real draw, but I have to agree with some voices who argue that the job is ultimately uninspired and every fix they have made to it since purely reactionary.

This system of starting classes that are obsolete at level 30 with only a very limited pool of cross-class abilities that the metagame deems to be essential anyway (Provoke for tanks, Swiftcast for healers, Blood for Blood and Raging Strikes for DPS, etc.) is a relic of 1.0 and some radical overhaul would be welcome. sly had an interesting idea in the other thread, e.g.

sly said:
An example:
Archer > Bard > Minstrel
Archer > Bard > Ranger

One having an emphasis on party buffs and the other an emphasis on heavy ranged damage.

Even a job name isn't exactly required, just the path selection to add some diversity.

I know this topics old but it fits with my situation. I too enjoy FFXIV classes and want to give back to the game that saved my artistic career. To this end I'm developing and designing three awesome new and unique classes one of which has already been mentioned on this thread. However I'm in dire need of someone who know's how to balance them as I am completely new at this. I don't want to overpower said classes, but not make them worthlessly weak either nor simply copy from another decided class. If anyone knows how to do this please respond and help me. The classes are the popular and debated Blue Mage, Necromancer, and Dancer classes.

*EDIT: After doing some serious searching for ideas for the previously three mentioned classes I've decided to add one more to the roster. The Fourth class being the widely unknown and risky Gambler class.

Last edited:
I don't know enough about old FF games to really point to a specific example, but as an XIV player I do think it's time they removed one of AST's stances (namely their Noct stance [shields]) and added in another dedicated shield healer that can directly compete with SCH. SE constantly go back and forth buffing and nerfing AST and SCH so that they are interchangeable in the end game raiding scene. But in reality all this really does is push the weaker job out.

Healer balance is the best it's ever been, but it's been two years and they still can't get noct AST right. It's time to give it up, SE.

Back