Favourite Class/Job in FF XIV?

Six

𝗦𝗼𝗹𝗶𝘁𝘂𝗱𝗲 *★.• ·
Staff member
Admin Support
Social Media Team
Veteran
Gil
What is your favourite class to play in Final Fantasy XIV? This doesn't have to be your main job (even though it usually works that way) xD

Do you have a preference when playing solo or in a group on a certain class? Or is it just one specific class?

Schola- pfffft.

White Mage, of course. Hardly a surprise! Will probably always be my favourite class and I like to play it whenever I can. It's just the most reliable and independent healer job right now, I think. AST is honestly close for me but it's lacking raw healing power in place of some RNG cards that I don't think have ever saved a raid from wiping (argument to be made about spread Balance and dps checks but pffft). Assize, Holy, and Benediction is all I need.

I should also mention DRK. Kinda feel guilty hogging the healer spot in groups so it's something I've worked on. Still suck at tanking in general, but there's fun to be had in trials and stuff. Plus there's almost always a need for a high geared tank. Class is a bit clumsy with mana management and it can be super crippling and stressful when you don't know a fight, but once you start to work things out it's satisfying.

Err.... Obviously Astrologian for a few reasons and anyone that knows me know I main it, xD.

-Super fun to play. I love abilities such as lightspeed, CU, Celestial opposition, etc. Imo, AST has an amazing toolkit that matches the power of both WHM and SCH. Our Aspected Helios is insanely good now in Nocturnal stance.

-Cards. Seriously, it is what makes us diverse. I love the cards so much and while they are rather overpowered in some cases, it is important to notice that AST has the edge over WHM/SCH with these cards. Yes, we suffer from RNG but that doesn't mean every card is useless. Maining the class a long time has taught me that almost every card is useful. We also get spread every 30 seconds now, therefore we are beyond godly at this point.

-Weapon design. We have probably the most creative weapon in the game. An orb with floating cards around it is genius. Of course, many AST orbs aren't very well designed but there are some worth the time and effort, like my relic. :3

-Unmissable DOTS. This is why I don't meld accuracy on AST. We basically have guaranteed damage even if it is pretty low, it makes up for all the gravity and Malefic II spells that miss.

- SYNASTRY. Do I even have to tell anyone how good this cooldown is? In fact, it is broken, in my very honest opinion. Almost way too good to heal yourself and the tethered party member you choose for max heals.

AST is ridiculously good and if you don't think so, then you aren't using it right. Literally, nothing about it screams worse than WHM/SCH. In fact, it is even more potent in some situations!

I prefer to play AST in a group because it is more interesting. =)

To no one's surprise, my answer will be Scho...

Schola- pfffft.

:scaryface: I'll fight you guys.

It's probably the most versatile of the three healers, but as I have barely played the other two, I suppose I'm not the authority for this claim. However, it's true that in a drawn-out fight and thanks to Energy Drain and Aetherflow every minute, it's the Scholar that is best equipped to put out sustained DPS without constantly gasping for MP like a fish taken out of water. Our burst DPS capabilities are pitiful when placed next to say, White Mage, but when our plethora of DoTs are ticking in the background, we're always slowly burning away an enemy even while we're healing.

I just enjoy the more pro-active style of healing. It's not something overly unique as the other two healers are perfectly capable of behaving like pro-active healers when played by competent players, but their toolkit (Nocturnal AST notwithstanding) is more built to heal after the fact. I enjoy trying to discern what the enemy is about to cast and then take measures accordingly. Put an Adloquium on someone, spread it out to all party members and laugh as the group-wide attack hits for little to nothing. The WHM and AST can take it from there with a Cure III and an Aspected Helios, but we know who the real MVP is for that instance.

Plus the fairy is just delightfully broken even with the uneven scaling after level 50. Put her on Rouse and she can essentially do most of the heavy lifting for a short while. Selene's Fey Caress is just ridiculously useful to have and when used diligently, can save you so many global cooldowns on Leeches. The only problem is that she's fiddly and can be an arse on controller, while also possessing no real ability queue system.

Plus it's my only combat job at 60 anyway. :sad2:

Schola- pfffft.

Lmao.
aha-!.gif

In all seriousness... I've really grown to enjoy all the healers in XIV, personally. If it's not something the White Mage can offer, the Astrologian can, if the Astrologian can't the Scholar can. I don't have my White Mage or Scholar up to 60 yet, 56 and 52 respectively. For White Mage, I think I have the basic understanding down (even though I'm missing a few skills) but it's pretty similar to Astrologian.

For Scholar a few new skills will be coming in still that I will have to learn how to apply at the right time.

Astrologian is definitely my go-to class, as I just think it has everything what the other two classes have to offer and so much more. Paired up with a White Mage or Scholar? Bring it. We can handle it. :D

I too should look into gearing my Monk again, though... Hogging healer spots is making me feel guilty too. :wacky: It's so fun to play, though!

I love BLM except for when it's a boss where it is dishing out heavy AOE / Cone Attacks where literally it's all movement and I can't set off my atom bombs.

My Macros are always set to explode things. I don't put messages in my macros but they tear the shreds out of single target. For multi-target I try not to use the macro as much due to Tank placement, but I do have one.

My PLD is okay - Just is the most boring rotation ever. I do love being able to heal myself with Clemency/Sheltron/Divine Veil - but if you have played a PLD you know you have to stick to your rotation unless you want to risk losing aggro when... CoS / Blind enmity fades.

For BLM I have three sets of macros.

1) Single target mobs - (mostly hold on to my ley lines unless Raid) - Sharp Cast + F3 - F1 + F1 + F1 + B3 + B1 + F3 + F1 - Rinse, Repeat
2) Single Target Boss - Ley Lines + EnoChain + Sharp Cast + F3 + F4 + F4 + F4 + B3 + B4 + B4 + B4 - Rinse, Repeat
3) Multi-Target everything else. - (mostly hold on to my ley lines) Sharp Cast + F3 + F2 + F2 + F2 + F2 (near oom) + Flare - Transpose - B1 + B1 - F3 + F2 + F2 - Rinse and repeat.

BRD - and unfortunately I never left my comfort zone for a long time, I am only really now making an active effort to level anything else up. I've been trying to get DRG up to 34 for about 2 1/2 years lol. Took me two years to get WHM to 30 as well. Currently all my classes are now finally level 30 oh with the exception of the two original tank classes which I am having a hard time with. I don't like tanking and I am that used to follwoing other people in dungeons I find my self thinking oshit, where do I go in a dungeon I have been running since bloody launch hahahaha

But yeah, BRD is super fun, I have had a hard time adjusting to the cast bars though ):

I have a lot of classes at max level and I tend to shift from role to role quite a lot and it's given me an appreciation for all the roles. Every class has their downsides, but the truth is any class played well is a great class. That said, no class can be judged individually and you'll end up picking your favourites based on how they perform and what their role is in the game's meta.

I can't choose between Paladin, White Mage, Scholar and Monk so I'm gonna talk about why I like them all.

I like Paladins because their physical tanking capabilities are insane, they have awesome cooldowns, great utility with Divine Veil, Clemency and a stun on the global cooldown. A class that's very easy to use and when I'm not looking to crank out DPS as a main tank it's Pally every time.

I like White Mages because of their incredible options as far as healing goes. Enormous single and AoE heals and equally explosive DPS capabilities make it a beast whichever direction I point it and you simply can't underestimate how useful Benediction and Assize are in any situation. MP management is a drag, especially when I find myself in low damage groups and I come screeching to a halt after a volley of Holies and no MP left. A lack of mitigation when solo healing is also a major downside, but the positives heavily outweigh the negatives on this super overpowered class.

Scholars are really fun to use, especially if you know what you're doing which admittedly takes some time. Not being the main healer most of the time means the pressure's off and I can DPS or heal at my leisure. The SCH's toolset is enormous and provides plenty of food for thought on how I want to tackle a particular duty. The pet's support makes for great utility and seamless cleric stance dancing, throwing up shields to support the main healer is really satisfying once you've got the timing down and having 5 DoTs to hit stuff with (6 if you count Miasma II but ehhhh) means you can melt things while still healing. Being an effective SCH relies heavily on good intuition and great timing and is a very satisfying and beast class when executed correctly. The heals aren't strong at all so it's a tightrope - not for the faint hearted.

Monk I like because of it's monstrous damage output. If you look at the potency of it's abilities none of them really stand out, they're all pretty mediocre in fact, but it's all about putting up the buffs and debuffs and having it all come together than makes it a great class. Fists of Fire, Greased Lightning, Twin Snakes, Dragon Kick, the DoTs, when it all comes together I'm in Bruce Lee mode.

Back