Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Integrity and Faithlessness

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rowe

Eternally Begrudged
Veteran
Gil
First, vote for the best one. Next, list them from best to worst, and a little blurb regarding your opinion(s) of the games.

I haven't played them all, but I can rate the three that I've played.

1. Till the End of Time

I like this one the most because I think it took the most risk. I know a lot of people hate the big twist, but honestly, it's much more interesting than the generic alternative. I don't think it devalues anything about the series; it just reframes everything.

2. Second Story

I like that you can play two versions of this one, and it's just generally fun to play regardless. There isn't a whole ton to say, as it's just a competently made game. From what I remember anyway. It's been like seven years since I played it.

3. Last Hope

Mediocre characters, mediocre plot. That wouldn't be too bad (because the game has some interesting content, and looks/sounds good), except for the fact that Blindside was super OP. For being the main new mechanic in combat, you'd hope it wasn't utterly broken. Unfortunately, it very much is. It's super easy to do, allows you free hits while you avoid damage, and it gives you EXP boosts meaning you end up overleveled. Seriously, nothing but blindside mattered, and it's super frustrating to know that they couldn't even balance it correctly.

Honestly, my favorite Star Ocean game is Radiata Stories...

Honestly, my favorite Star Ocean game is Radiata Stories...
I miss that game! Shame we'll likely never get a remaster of that. I love that quirky title.

Out of the four I have actually played...
1. The Second Story / Second Evolution
It was my first Star Ocean game, and still my favorite. Everything about it was just right for a JRPG, and of course, being able to select two paths right from the start was likely the most appealing aspect; they differed in quite a few ways, too.​
2. Till the End of Time
Almost on par with the second game. Not many were a fan of the story, but I thought it was a clever twist near the end. (Even if it trolls the hardcore Star Ocean players. Haha.) Also, the customization system is still the best of the series (personally).​
3. The Last Hope
I call this one "Star Ocean 0", since it takes place well before the first game. The story isn't horrible, but not amazing. Where this title shines, though, is the customization system. Also, the space traveling aspect is a nice touch.​
4. Integrity and Faithlessness
Yes, this one has gotten a bad rap. It's not an awful game. I think Star Ocean fans (like myself) would enjoy it to some degree, and also appreciate the faithfulness (lol) to the rest of the series. The story needed a bit of an overhaul, for sure.​

Back