Playstation God of War

Setzer Gabbiani

Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
God of War New Details: Bigger Than Ever Boss Fights, 100 Enemies On Screen, Story Info, And More

God-of-War_01.jpg

You know what looks incredible? The new God of War game. It very nearly won our E3 Best of Show award, and even though it was outdone, we are so excited for this new direction that the series is taking. After seven very similar games, God of War was a bit played out- and getting to see it reinvent itself so dramatically is stimulating.

In the wake of E3, God of War director Cory Barlog (who, incidentally, also directed God of War II, which is the best game this series has produced so far) had a pretty long interview with The Know, where he discussed a lot of things about the game. But the central thing, that he kept returning to, was how this game represented a fresh start for both, the series, and for Kratos, its tortured protagonist.

That will apparently be a pretty big story point- Barlog confirmed that in this game, Kratos is looking for a second chance, and trying to get as far away from his haunted past as he can- and for the first time, he is not trying to redo the past, like he has been throughout the series, but trying to move forward instead, and seek a redo, a redemption.

This was also something that bled over into how the game was designed, and how its development was approached by Sony Santa Monica. The entire game was thought of as a full rethinking of God of War, though Barlog did insist that maintaining continuity was nonetheless a big thing here. To have the same kind of freshness in this game that the first game in the franchise had, Barlog managed to bring the people who worked on the original God of War back on board for this new installment.

As for how the game has been rethought, naturally, the big changes here are the camera, and the redone combat. However, Barlog did confirm that some of the more dramatic changes that many may have speculated on (or feared) are not going to be a part of this game- so there will be, for example, no morality system or branching story. This is still very clearly going to be a directed narrative experience, so Sony Santa Monica get to tell the story that they want to tell. One thing that Barlog was willing to share about the story was that the mother of Kratos’ son, who has been kept secret so far, is apparently going to be a major part of the story. In other cool stuff that Norse mythology buffs will like, you may get to visit the Nine Realms in this game (or at least some of them). Also, Mjolnir, Thor’s legendary hammer, was also name dropped and hinted at- maybe it’s the final weapon you pick up in the game?

Switching over to the gameplay, Barlog first of all assured that the series’ penchant for spectacle will be maintained in this new game. Apparently, there will still be giant bosses which will have a scale bigger than previous games, and giant enemies, to fight and take down, and at one point, Barlog mentioned having 15, 20, or even as many as 100 enemies on screen at once- which would definitely be something worth seeing (though we’re not sure that the PS4 can handle that!).

Kratos’ son will also figure into the gameplay- there will always be one button dedicated to him, which you can press to call upon him and have him interact with whatever it is that you have your camera aimed at. This means that he will be a part of puzzle solving, overworld interactions, and yes, combat too (which was something that the E3 demo hinted at).

In spite of all of these changes, though, Balrog assured everyone that this new game will still be quintessentially God of War– the body may be changing, but the soul will be the same. And honestly, we’re inclined to believe him. When it first came out in 2005, God of War was one of the freshest titles on the market. This new game, in attempting to wipe the slate clean, looks like it will be channeling much of its spirit. We can’t wait to see how it all turns out.

gamingbolt.com/god-of-war-new-detai...hts-100-enemies-on-screen-story-info-and-more

I can't really say that I'm excited for this title. I'll still be buying it, but I would have rather seen a new anti-hero to go along with the different mythology.

I love God of War and I'm glad that this is confirmed as a sequel to God of War 3 rather than the reboot that it appeared to be at first. We don't need a reboot.

I was a little annoyed at first that they've shifted Kratos into Nordic mythology. There is still quite a bit in Greek mythology which Kratos the Spartan could have participated in (the Amazonomachy and Centauromachy, the Trojan War, the Theban War, etc, etc), although I guess many people were getting bored of it and it seems that Kratos destroyed the Olympian pantheon in GoW 3. Bigger is better, I guess, and since the big fish of Greece we already hooked and gutted, it is about time for Kratos to wreck a new pantheon.

The change of location I can understand, but I was worried that Nordic mythology would be too obvious a choice... Action games set in a Nordic landscape with dragons and trolls are ubiquitous. I felt that there's more to the God of War aesthetic than that. Maybe a move to Persia or Egypt could have been a way to continue Kratos' story in a new setting.

However, I'm up for the Norse environment after seeing how well they handled that troll in the demo presentation. Far from being just a mindless enemy, the troll appeared to have a personality. That's apparently going to be a big thing with this game. There are moral grey areas with monsters defending areas and having legitimate reasons to stop you. It may be yet another game set in a Nordic or Norse-inspired fantasy world, but they seem to have done it well in a way which seems alive.

And now I move on to another big, but welcome change. Kratos himself is no longer only a rage beast. One of the main complaints that people had about the series as a whole was how Kratos was two dimensional and interested only in vengeance and killing everyone. Yet God of War 3 offered us an insight into a softer side of Kratos by introducing the Pandora character, who he cared about. This brief flicker of Kratos' humanity makes his character change for this new game come as less of a shock, and does make sense for his character.

So here we are. Kratos is older, though immortal, and he has moved far North. Centuries (if we're fitting this mythological landscape into a historical one) have passed. Kratos has now grown a beard (to fit in with the Norse landscape!), but he keeps the omega symbol to remind himself of his Greek origins. Kratos now has a son by an unnamed mother, and now his life is no longer about his own selfish vengeance. He's done with that. Kratos now has to be a dad and look out for his son.

This could be an interesting chapter in Kratos' life. I just hope that the son doesn't turn out to be irritating and get in the way all of the time.

As for the mother.... They're keeping her identity secret, so I guess she is somebody important to Norse mythology.

I'm interested to see. Also, I love that axe!

'God Of War 4' Combat Play Explained, Krato's Wife To Feature In Game's Upcoming PS4 Story

"God of War 4" will feature two combat systems. In the first, players will be utilizing an axe in every battle. Obviously, it is intended to be used as a melee weapon. However, it can also be quite effective in casting spells. In fact, Kratos can throw the axe at will and recall it, like Thor's hammer.

Navitechpost Navitechpost Share Tweet
GAMES
'God Of War 4' Combat Play Explained, Krato's Wife To Feature In Game's Upcoming PS4 Story
By Alvin Elfwine | Jun 29, 2016 05:30 AM EDT
LikeFollowShare(4)Tweet(?)Pinterest
God of War 4
"God of War 4" is said to be featuring two kinds of combat plays.
(Photo : AfroSenju XL™/YouTube)
The much talked about "God of War 4" has been finally announced in the recently concluded Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) event. It was deemed one of the biggest reveal at that time partly because fans have been clamoring for a new installment from the titular series for a while now. Little is known about the upcoming title, but details about the combat play and its PS4 story have surfaced.

Advertisement

According to Gadgets 360, "God of War 4" will feature two combat systems. In the first, players will be utilizing an axe in every battle. Obviously, it is intended to be used as a melee weapon. However, it can also be quite effective in casting spells. In fact, Kratos can throw the axe at will and recall it, like Thor's hammer.

Advertisement

As for the second "God of War 4" combat play, it will feature a hand-to-hand fight. Through this combat mode, gamers will experience more visceral movements from the iconic character.

It is also worth noting that "God of War 4" will include a rage meter. It was placed to give Kratos a more humanized persona while for the sake of his relationship with his son. Through the rage meter, players gain more control over Kratos rage while fighting nearby lurking Norse creatures.

Yibada, on the other hand, reports that "God of War 4" will introduce the protagonist's wife. After all, fans have every right to know the mother of Kratos' son. Sony has yet to reveal the exact role of the character's better-half, but it is said to have huge importance throughout the story.

Kratos' son will also develop as a character while walking through the vastness of the "God of War 4" realm. Players can spend some time leveling up the God's son. Game director Cory Balrog said that Kratos' son has knowledge about his father's true lineage, but has no idea about the past.

"God of War 4" has yet to acquire an official release date. It is expected, however, to arrive sometime in 2017.

www.itechpost.com/articles/21351/20...fe-feature-ps4-ps4-story-god-of-war-4-ps4.htm

God of War Collector’s Edition huge discount!

71Tj%2BhcTlIL._SX679_.jpg

BestBuy have some great reductions on three particular God of War items right now that you need to get your hands on. If you’re an enormous God of War fan or know someone who is, then these items - perhaps one in particular - will make for perfect Christmas presents. Along with the standard game, and a figurine (more on those below), BestBuy is currently offering the Collector’s Edition of God of War for just $59.99 - that’s a whopping $50 off and nearly half price.

This edition will get you the game itself and a bunch of digital content, but also a nine-inch statue of Kratos and Atreus, a limited edition SteelBook case, two-inch Huldra brothers carvings, an exclusive lithograph, and a cloth map. Quite a lot, right? It’s a great Collector’s Edition and one definitely worth a look for those yet to the game.

Elsewhere on BestBuy, the standard edition of the game is reduced by $15 to $24.99 and, if you’ve got enough room on your display shelves, the 18-inch Kratos action figure is down by 58 bucks to a tempting $71.99. I’d be quick though - these aren’t likely to stick around.

https://www.gamesradar.com/get-the-...9-and-some-other-mighty-gow-deals-at-bestbuy/

Back