[08/06] Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 E3 2016 trailer; December release; KH3 announcements coming in winter

Linnaete

sus
Staff member
Editorial Staff
Veteran
Gil
Andre the Adamantoise
Chocobo Egg
Accessory (Head)
Accessory (Arms)
Build-A-Member
Chocobo Egg
FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
kingdom-hearts-hd-2-8nqor4.png

The confusingly titled Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue has a release window and an E3 trailer. The game will be released in all territories in December exclusively for PS4 and will be playable on the E3 floor from the 14th to the 16th of June at Los Angeles.

No doubt you're puzzled. What is this game? How much more convoluted can Kingdom Hearts be? The package contains:

• An HD remaster of the formerly 3DS exclusive Dream Drop Distance.
  • Kingdom Hearts Chi: Back Cover; a movie that ties in with the series' prequel mobile game: Kingdom Hearts Unchained X [Chi].
  • 0.2 Birth by Sleep: A Fragmentary Passage; a final piece in the puzzle leading up to Kingdom Hearts 3 as you can see if you add up 2.8 and 0.2 (yes, this is stupid, but it's Kingdom Hearts. The unorthodox and baffling names are to be expected.). This is a brand new playable scenario featuring Aqua's venture through the World of Darkness following the events of Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep.

At the very close of the trailer, you will have noticed the following. Yes, they are promising more Kingdom Hearts 3 announcements this winter. Or summer if you're an unfortunate soul living in the southern hemisphere at that time.
CkbVitJVAAMuFUy.jpg:large

Nova Crystallis

I am both frustrated and excited by this. Part of the reason for the HD packages on PS3 was to tie up all of the nonsense spin-offs covering every console out there onto one platform. Now, we have a game exclusive to a platform not previously used, and it includes two new spin-offs. Can anyone else smell Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Final RE:Mix Type 2?

On the other hand, we are getting an early teaser for what KH3 will look like - Fragmentary Passage and Back Cover both look absolutely fantastic. Just look at the lip syncing between 3D and 0.2 (what fucking nonsense this naming system is...).

I am not too pleased about Back Cover and Chi as a concept, because it's introducing even more of a nonsense backstory to try and drag this finale out even longer, when all we all really need is to just pummel Xehanort. However, I love the series and will still be buying it...

I didn't know there was confusion about this... I mean when they first announced this Square said what would all be in this game...

I for one love Kingdom Hearts and can't wait for this... I was going buy DDD on the 3ds, but with this... I think I can hold off a little longer and get it on the PS4...when I get a PS4... which will probably be soon, with the good Square Games I want coming out soon.

if im being honest, i have no idea what any of these KH 2.8 blahblahblahs are anymore. there's so many and they all seem irrelevant. i just want kh3

Back