YouTube Favorite youtube channels?

Shaissa

Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
Mog's Tent
After watching Youtube channels for a while, I was wondering what were some of your favorites and what were they about?

One of my favorites recently is The Great War channel- This channel covers World War 1 aka The Great War week by week, covering major events and battles, along with adding extras about people or countries or events during World War 1, it is a very interesting channel to check out if you got time and are interested in World War one.

Another one I have gotten into is Geography Now!- This channel is trying to cover every countries geography in the world from A-Z (very long list to accomplish) They talk about boarders, the people living their, the layout of the country, and major cities, as well as who are their best friends country wise.

One more I really like is How it Should Have Ended - This channel basically takes a movies ending and tells how "it really should have ended" or basically a logical way that it could have ended versus how it did end, very funny and entertaining if you don't mind seeing your favorite movies endings actually get torn to shreds.

One more I like is Minute Minecraft Parodies - This channel basically takes a movie and sums it up in a minute... in Minecraft form...

So what are some of your favorite channels and what are they about?

Good one Shace. My favorite youtube channels are ranging from Motivational Speakers to Game Reviewers to fellow Foodies.

My favorite motivational speaker's channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOwzVxuARvJ9_TT5gK3aCEw

Example Video (can not find it on his channel, so using this)

My favorite game reviewer TotalBiscuit: https://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHalibut

His wtf is.. series is priceless. I like him better than Yahtzee. Reason being is he's technical and comical. He can literally rip a game apart or give you some take aways of an okay game. I don't like biasness and it does not seem this guy gives any over opinionated reviews.

Example:

My favorite foodie is Mark Weins. He is outstanding and I love exotic food. If it was TV network I would choose someone different, but that's because I have been watching FOOD network all my life. Mark Weins reactions to good food is priceless, but he also gives good advice.

Just check his "intro" video out.

Oh hey, Mark Weins. I've seen a good number of his videos too.
lilgrin.gif
Ditto Geography Now, though the videos go nowhere near as much depth for my liking. Alas.

From the top of my head, I've really enjoyed the following:

- Jeremy Jahns
What is it? Despite talking at a speed that would rival Yahtzee, this guy creates (relatively) succinct movie reviews. They get the job done and he's very prompt and frequent with his videos. None of that overproduced stuff that comes out once every few weeks with long comedy skits. He gets right to the point. I know @Paddy McGee frequents this channel as well, so I'll quickly mention him. And just because I can.

- Chris Stuckmann
What is it? Like Jeremy Jahns, Chris reviews movies. His 'Hilariocity' videos are a lot of fun too, especially the episode on Samurai Cop. Plus, he's quite the looker, even if he is married. :ari:

- Vsauce
What is it? Oh boy. This channel is for you if you want to gain a very different insight into how bizarre and fascinating our reality is...as long as your brain is prepared for it. While he does do his best to make these unavoidably convoluted topics as accessible as possible, you're going to scratch your head a lot. And I love it.

- Malinda Kathleen Reese
What is it? Well, what would happen if you put song lyrics on Google Translate and cycle through various different languages (e.g. French, German, Swahili, Russian, Japanese, Javanese, Urdu) and then back into English? You get hilarity! And a gorgeous singing voice. I love this woman. She oozes fun and personality in all her videos. The first one I saw was a Google Translate take on "Let It Go" and it killed me. :lew:

- Ethys Asher
What is it? Absolute nerd time now. A big reason why I'm versed (and interested) in FFXIV lore is to do with this guy. He even does lore tours of dungeons while on duty. He's a much bigger nerd than I am and I dare someone try to refute to cold, hard fact.

My favorite channel for anything gaming related, or how regular life stuff is AlphaOmegaSin. I've been a long time sub to his channel and I love his content. Not to mention, hes metal as fuck! \m/

My favorite channel for Diablo related stuff is either Shinobi or Quin69. Both stream the game on twitch and both are extremely helpful with the game.

Here lately I've been watching this channel called Undoomed. He basically talks about idiot feminists and real life stuff. And his voice is amazing. Seriously. Dude could be a narrator.

YouTube is basically my television at this point. Most of the content I watch is gaming, illustration, science, or music related... mostly gaming though, lol.

My absolute favorite is easily SomeCallMeJohnny. There are certain channels that I like to call 'comfort channels', where I get that warm, fuzzy feeling when I see a new video in my inbox. Johnny's content is that for me, and he's also the biggest inspiration for my own channel. He primarily reviews games, and I really like his style. He's really fair to the games he looks at, and has a good balance between being deconstructive, while also being informative for regular consumers. Another one that's similar, though a bit more comedic in nature would be GameDave.

Honestly, it's just super hard to choose favorite channels beyond that. So I'll just pick two more that really resonate with me.

I love game design. I love it, I love it, I love it! So naturally, one of my favorites is Extra Credits. Written by people who're actually designers and teachers in the field, it's an invaluable resource, while also coming off as distinctly human, rather than purely encyclopedic.

And finally, just to get some music in there... I'm a metal guy. Metal is just my thing. But I also like tons of other types of music, I'm just a bit more picky with other genres. David Choi has a really warm, full sound. It's often cheesy, but still really well written music. He might have actually been the first channel I subscribed to, almost a decade ago. Definitely one of the first five, for sure.

ZaXo Ken'Ichi I use to watch Extra Credits, but I think a lot of their episodes are really bad topics... I remember one episode where they claimed that there were no Sci-Fi games and said anything that had fantasy in it wasn't "true Sci-fi" or something like that, and i was like "Hello Science Fiction will have some 'fantasy' Element in it!"
And I did like there Extra History content, but then they made it into a "story telling" format that I can't stand. But they do still do good videos overall I think, I just lost interest after a few videos turned me off.
Linnaete Why did you have to talk about Malinda Kathleen Reese??? I can't stop watching her stuff! Some of it is so funny, like when she has to say like 20 words where the singer says 5 or vise versa! I think the "I can't wait to be king" one is the best so far out of what I watched!

@Shace paissa I disagree. I don't think there's ever been an Extra Credits episode with a topic that wasn't at least mildly relevant. I prefer their design oriented episodes to the more cultural ones quite a bit. But I don't think there's ever been a bad episode. The closest to one for me, has probably been the episode about Redefining Genres in games. I don't really disagree with it, so much as I think their examples are kind of silly. We don't define movie genres by actions and viewpoints like "Wide angle punching movie", because that's not the core of the experience with movies. Mechanics and how you play are the core of games, so I think it's important to have that be the focus of genres in games. It's okay that games like Portal and Call of Duty are both considered first person shooters. They have different ways of using the same mechanics, but they're mechanically similar. And that's also what combinations of genres is for (like First Person Puzzle game for Portal). It's no different from in music, where both Periphery and Volumes are considered Djent, but Periphery uses a lot more clean, jazz inspired guitar work. Definitely different in many ways, and changes the dynamics of the music quite a bit. But -outside of Djent just being a terrible name for a genre in general- they still very clearly belong in the same genre. But I digress.

As far as the Sci-Fi episode, I think that was actually a fantastic episode. And frankly, it's 100% correct. In reality, the purpose of distinction between Science Fiction and Science Fantasy is that Science Fiction is about the explanation. It's about turning fantastical things into believable things, whereas Science Fantasy uses technology to create unexplainable and fantastical things. They're almost the reverse of each other in that sense, which is the point they were making; most games focus less on using technology/futuristic stuff to make fantasy feel like reality, and instead use it more as a way to create fantastical things in a futuristic setting. Hence, being more Science Fantasy than Science Fiction.

I do wish they would do more directly design oriented videos though. I love episodes like the one about Differences In Kind, Spectacle Creep, or When Difficult is Fun.

I have a few. They're mostly just silly things!

ItsGWC. He just occasionally posts short 'reviews' of games and stuff. But satirical, I suppose? Some of them make me laugh so much.

Laina! She just posts random videos. Kinda awkward. Kinda funny. She was famous for that overly attached girlfriend thing.

MTQcapture. Usually where I go for XIV raid guides and stuff. Helps a lot!

LAHWF. He films himself doing awkward stuff in public. Don't doubt some of it is set up, but still. Can't help but cringe while watching xD

That's probably it for favourites. Subbed to a lot of other channels though!

My absolute favorite is easily SomeCallMeJohnny. There are certain channels that I like to call 'comfort channels', where I get that warm, fuzzy feeling when I see a new video in my inbox. Johnny's content is that for me, and he's also the biggest inspiration for my own channel. He primarily reviews games, and I really like his style. He's really fair to the games he looks at, and has a good balance between being deconstructive, while also being informative for regular consumers.

I love his channel! Have you seen his latest review of Undertale? It's really honest and not completely loved up due to all the hype. He also made sure to turn people away if they didn't want spoilers, which is amazing :griin:.

Also, there's an LP channel called SuperGamingBros of which he is one of the LPers. I went through a time of only watching their stuff and just going through their old content; something I don't do all too often. The mixture of 3 commentators (who don't all comment on every series) mixes things up a bit and keeps so much fresh. It also means there are 3 people with different genre specialties under their belts. Great humour and plenty of info.

The guy who made me get into LPing was Whitemageserenia. His Wild Arms 1 LP is really relaxing and really comforting to watch, for me :lew:. He also uploads FF14 stuff (including solo runs of primals and stuff). He streams that stuff mostly, but he'll upload it to Youtube sometimes.

HCBailley is another LPer who focuses only on RPGs. Right now it's Phantasy Star 2 and it's filled with info. That's what he does though: info-filled LPs. There's some humour, but it's mostly based on sayings and mottos that he made up throughout his channel life.

I used to like Presshearttocontinue due to her daily vlogs but she stopped making those now. I still like her weekly game (and movie) news show though. She's very anime/girl gamer/cat girl :p.

My latest channel find that I've enjoyed has been a guy (well, more than 1 guy but I've only seen a series with Dan on his own) called SuperBadnikBros. Very laid back etc. Much enjoyment with his struggle through Mario Sunshine (though that series is on hold for now).

That's all I can really think of right now but I know there are plenty more :sir:.

Oh yeah! ChuggaaConroy. Honestly, I would wake up to his Animal Crossing LP. He made it like less of an LP and more of a daily bit of exploration? Not sure how to explain it but I guess you can't just LP that game lol. Some of his series can be way too long-winded though (Xenoblade, Pokemon Diamond). Either way: nerdy, over-enthusiastic nonsense that I love now and again :lew:.

I love his channel! Have you seen his latest review of Undertale? It's really honest and not completely loved up due to all the hype. He also made sure to turn people away if they didn't want spoilers, which is amazing :griin:.

Also, there's an LP channel called SuperGamingBros of which he is one of the LPers. I went through a time of only watching their stuff and just going through their old content; something I don't do all too often. The mixture of 3 commentators (who don't all comment on every series) mixes things up a bit and keeps so much fresh. It also means there are 3 people with different genre specialties under their belts. Great humour and plenty of info.

No, his Undertale video is the only video of his I haven't watched, and it's because I know it'll include spoilers and I still want to play through the game. I'm waiting for a console port. I've watched the rest of his videos multiple times, because his is one of those channels I go to when I just wanna relax.

I also watch SGB, though I don't watch every LP they do. My favorites have been Sonic Heroes, Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, and Resident Evil 3. Regardless, I do indeed like the dynamic between Johnny, Elliot, and Matt. It's unique and interesting. And I like how the person playing always delivers interesting info about how the game is played. It reminds me of what I liked about the early LPs by the Super Beard Bros. Which by the way, that channel also has some great LPs. The Kaizo Mario ones are absolutely fantastic!

For retro gaming, I like MetalJesusRocks and HappyConsoleGamer best, because they remind me of a lot of the guys I went to high school with. PeteDorr is also good, but he makes for a better Twitch channel. Along the same lines, AdamKoralik and The 8-Bit Guy are really great for discussion of retro hardware, and FarelForever is literally the only guy on YouTube who has anything intelligent to say about the SaGa series, although he produces content slower than George R. R. Martin.

Oliver Harper makes superb movie reviews. For my board gaming news, I tune into The Dice Tower.

My favorite language-learning channels are Get Germanized, CCTV-10 Education for its Happy China series in Mandarin, Learn Chinese Now, Weekly Russian, and before it was disbanded, Tu Tubus Latinus.

Since we have an official youtube section, can you lovely mods move this there? :hmmm:

ashens
MyVirginKitchen
Barshens
Larry Bundy Jr
Thoughty2
Channel Awesome

Yeah, these are my favourites. There are probably more, because I spend a lot of time on YouTube, although a lot of the daytime stuff is usually family friendly. Ah, who am I kidding? It's Little Baby Bum and any channel that shows Fireman Sam or Postman Pat...

OK. I love YouTube

My favorite YouTube channels are the following.

LoL Esports - This is one of my favorite YouTube channels since it broadcast live tournaments of League of Legends for you to watch. I like to watch how both teams battle each other and give their best to win the game. You can also get to see some big plays from players from both teams, making the tournament very interesting to watch.

IGN - This is another channel that I like a lot. It gives information about games, news, trailers, as well shows the live broadcast of each game conference.

Used to watch a fair few channels a couple of years, particularly vloggers and travel vlogs for holiday ideas.

These days I've very much narrowed down the channels to one staple and two 'as and when' I get the time.

1579052690315.png

Staple channel - RKG.

A gaming channel set up by three British guys - Rory, Krupa and Gav - after splitting from IGN last year. They used to post videos under the IGN banner Prepare To Try which was when I picked up them; due to work restrictions they split to form RKG which is basically a continuation of Prepare To Try but with full freedom and without the restrictions. It's probably aimed at an older audience (sometimes NSFW, so don't be watching at work!) and is very British in its humour and delivery - it's also one of the few channels I've watched on Youtube that I genuinely enjoy the banter that feels natural. They upload every Saturday and frequently do a livestream mid-week.

Currently JUST started releasing their Sekiro playthrough a couple of days ago:

The more casual 'as and when' videos I watch are split between the more well known Nintendo Voice Chat which is podcast / video podcast produced by IGN and Marz, a let's player. I find Nintendo Voice Chat a pleasant watch / listen. As the presenters are genuine Nintendo fans, I find it easy to watch even if I'm not overly interested in the topics - it carries a much more chilled vibe than the Playstation / Xbox podcasts too. All the presenters genuinely come across as decent people too.

In regards to Marz, I accidentally stumbled across her channel when watching videos on The Last Guardian playthroughs. Her channel is a pretty standard Let's Play channel but there is something quite appealing and pleasant about her content - I think it's largely because Marz comes across genuine and her reactions are real, opposed to overdramatising for views. Fully onboard with her channel when time allows.

As I've got older I've found myself watching creators that are around my age, too. I couldn't care less about the drama that surrounds Youtube most of the time so just watch these three channels that have creators that get on with the content and clearly love what they do.

Back