.Mosh is back!
Veteran
Gil
Mog's Tent
FFXIV
Alexia Kusanagi
FFXIV Server
Odin
Well considering this was announced I was surprised there wasn't a thread for this besides its mention on the home page. I thought this would be a good place to discuss our early opinions and it can carry on to its official release around the fall of this year no doubt.

I am in a bit of mixed emotion here, I am overly excited but I am nervous. Being directed by the same person who done FF7:ACC people are nervous for the story aspect. Yes I can agree that ACCs story was a little all over the place but from action and visual clarity it was great.

The he story of Kings Glaive we know is set at the same time as the game. This is what is happening back at home whilst we the player control Noctis on our journey away from the city. This makes me more comfortable with the story as they already have a concrete guideline to follow. ACC suffered mainly cause it was adding something for the sake of adding something.

it is amazing as well just how scarily detailed CGI can get and I think no one can top S-E. The amount of detail shown in just these brief pieces of footage was insane (Got to love that Audi R8).

It will be interesting to see which characters are shown other than the ones we already know and see if they make an appearance in the game. The voice acting gimmick is annoying as I would rather they kept them the same across the board. Is King Regis to die cause it's Sean Bean haha. The movie will now be called Breaking Fantasy XV King of Thrones.

So what did everyone else think?

.Mosh if it is ok could this thread also cover thoughts over the Brotherhood episodes as they come out? If not, a mod is free to edit my post that is in non-relation with Kings Glaive.

- Kings Glaive Just like AC, I am expecting the action bits to be on point. I didn't know who Sean Bean's was, and still don't, but when he spoke..........OOOOOHHHHHH MYYYYY GOSSSSSE. That voice though. I can see where some people would have an issues with VA not being universal across the board. I don't really know what to expect. Luna may stand out more in the movie, as it'll be shorter and have a different focus in itself. The CGI is of course amazing! I am looking forward too it of course.

-Brotherhood I really got a lot of Episode Duscae vibes from it. Noctis did quite a few moves that you could do from that demo as well as the other Chocobros. It felt very accurate to how they are in the game. I am glad we are seeing how they give each other crap, just like how a normal bromance would take place in this. I love the animation, and the situation didn't feel corny at all. My only minor complaint is that there isn't an English dub version, but MAYBE there will be one once it gets released in the Ultimate Edition versions. Even then, I say minor since this is being put out for free to view online.

I suspect FFXV would be much easier a game to market for a mainstream audience if Nyx is the main protagonist of the game and if these revised character designs transfer over to the game itself somehow. As of now, it will be a jarring transition to go from a CG film with much more realistic models and well-known celebrity voice actors to the game's roadtrip journey itself. It leaves the actual main protagonists of the game look incongruous and out of place in their own universe, because they are essentially still more or less the anime-like relics from Nomura's mid-2000s design language playbook.

Of course, I will give Square Enix a point for sticking with that basic roadtrip premise with these four guys, but maybe the old initial Versus aesthetics would have been better placed to remain a spinoff as it was. I can scarcely describe it as anything less than risky if you're trying to market this game, while simultaneously putting so many eggs into this one basket and banking on this to be not only the new FFVII of our age, but the game that will bring the spark back to the whole Final Fantasy franchise. So many people unfamiliar with the franchise in the west are unlikely to respond well to transitioning into the actual main characters they will be journeying with, and why we're not fighting and adventuring alongside Sean Bean and Lena Headey instead.

After the very familiar anime-like aesthetic that we've seen from Nomura and the series for all these years, there's something paradoxically refreshing about seeing these designs look scarily human, even if Luna now looks a bit borderline anaemic. Just looking at Nyx in particular, he still has distinctive Japanese fantasy traits to his clothing and hair design, so it's not merely a case of sacrificing all vestiges of Japanese influence in an attempt to make everyone as blandly Caucasian as possible. I absolutely would not protest if a future Final Fantasy game takes heavy cues from Kingsglaive, though personally I would want to see a design not too dissimilar to Agni in the Luminous Engine and DX12 demos come to fruition first. Agni does not go as far as Kingsglaive in making people look like Game of Thrones characters, and in my opinion it hits that balance and that sweet spot between East and West.

I think (nearly) everyone looks great in this one, even if all the Asian elements from older designs such as the Niflheim emperor chap have been vacuumed out and now everyone looks like a Northern European. Ardyn, our favourite red-haired, fedora-wearing guy, has had a curious downgrade though. He's so far the only one who looks better in the game than in this CG appearance, because they reworked the face design from Roberto Ferrari and turned him into Colin Farrell with long hair and a hat.

As for the writing, I'm not expecting any stellar script, if Square's recent work is any indication. Advent Children was a visual spectacle (and still is, even if its CG is now astonishingly outclassed by this) and nothing else. There is no other reason why it's worth a watch and I was left with much more interesting things to say about The Spirits Within! At least that one tried to give us something. So for Kingsglaive to deliver, the SE CG blockbuster bar is so low that it may as well have burrowed its way into the core of the earth.

Linnaete

You make some valid points there and I agree with some, I do think Nyx will have to crop up at some point to at least shed light on things happening back home. But for me it's not too jarring but I can definitely see why it would be for others.

Also I agree with the bar being set low, I think this should have at least mildly better writing then that of Advent Children. Is it the same writers of AC or is it purely just director. It is quite amazing to see how human the designs have gone for the movie when they didn't have to technically. But some shots of CGI there just look very life like.

I guess I am just curious on when it will be released. I would feel releasing it the same day or at least a couple days before the game would be ideal for it to keep my pumped for more.

S-E keep advancing in CGI!

Wow... When I read comments in the SB several days ago about Sean Bean and Lena Headey being in this I assumed that Livi and co were merely continuing their jokes that King Regis is Ned Stark and that Final Fantasy is trying so hard to be Western to Game of Thrones proportions... But it's actually true? That's fairly awesome.

Lena for Lunafreya is an interesting choice... I know her to play strong, royal characters. She's famous now for Cersei Lannister, but she also played Queen Gorgo (Leonidas' wife) in both 300 films. I wonder if this means that we may expect Luna to be a bit like these characters? In that case there's a chance that she's not going to be the demure wallflower type, but should have a lot to say and could be quite the schemer.

Now... Will these voice actors continue into the main game? If not, it'll be a bit odd... I don't see it as likely for them to voice the characters in the game as well though.

As for the film itself, I think it could be quite a nice side plate. It's nothing like the Advent Children situation where they essentially made up a sequel on the spot for the sake of bringing all of the characters (including the villain) back into action. AC was more to showcase the CGI and profit from the nostalgia of FFVII fans. Kingsglaive, however, seems to be an important part of the plot of FFXV, and it should fit nicely into the universe and compliment it well.

The only thing is that it might look a little bit too good compared to FFXV now, in that some of the characters do not look the same. It's something we'll probably get used to, but it does look a little bit odd.

Dionysos

The movie voice actors wont be carrying over to the game, I feel the movie cast is aimed at the more mainstream and to get people outside of Final Fantasy interested in Final Fantasy. In regards to visuals I don't see it as a problem the only difference is that the characters have been redesigned to look more human than like Lin posted above their anime designed game counterparts.

I am on the very skeptical end...

Firstly Squares history of putting a lot of money into their CGI movies is... well... look at Spirit Within... and on top of that these big names, I actually can't stand Sean Bean in the movies I saw him in... the biggest one being that crap that is Need for Speed.

On top of that, I actually couldn't stand Advent Children, mainly cause there was no fricken plot at all! something about dirt on people and getting it washed away by holy water... really the only high point was some of the fighting, even then that was kinda bland, and to know that the director of AC is going do the movie is getting me kinda not wanting to see this, or at least not caring enough to spend money to see it (buying the collectors edition)

I guess maybe they can prove my skepticism wrong and I hope they do, I would really like to see a good full length Final Fantasy movie, maybe even one on the big screen that is more connected to the games than Spirit Within ever was.

CgkLxCaVEAAFoYd.jpg

The film is out July 9th in Japanese theaters. It is worth noting that tons of spoilers for the movie will likely be out the week of the film, and considering the tie in with FFXV (similar themes and plot), that can be a game breaker for some. After all, we don't know if this is a prequel or not. All we know is that it shows the invasion from Regis and Luna's perspective, while the player in game is Noctis and does not see those events. I hope that Square Enix releases it digitally/stream it soon in English.

Source here: Animenewsnetwork

I love how Aaron Paul will be voicing in it. He's one I'm sure will do well/the best, the other being Sean Bean. (But his character won't be dying, so I'm confused. Haha, hopefully some Sean Bean fans will get that.) I cannot stand Lena Headey, so I won't go there. (She ruins Game of Thrones for me when she's on screen, but that's another story. :dry:)

Anyway, do I think the film is necessary? Not really. From what I understand, it's supplemental, along with the sidescroller game also starring Regis and company. Not that additional information/backstory can hurt, as long as it can properly add to the main game's lore.

Honestly, I'm a little taken aback at Square Enix's move to release a film in order to generate interest in the game. That's not usually how these things work. It says more about the gaming industry as a whole rather than anything in particular to Square Enix's marketing strategies. When the Tomb Raider movies were released and Angelina Jolie burst on the scene as the legendary Lara Croft, there was no doubt as to who would be the target audience. The movie makers were cashing in on the game, not the other way around which makes me a little worried about their predictions for the success of Final Fantasy XV. One has to wonder: if this is what they feel is necessary to launch this product and if it takes this much extra material to draw attention to the game itself, what does that say about Square Enix's view of the product they have produced? Are they not basically saying that it cannot stand on it's own two feet? Not sure, but I'm keeping an very open mind although I can't help speculating.

As for the film itself, I couldn't help having a little giggle fest at Sean Bean's role (Linnaete & Dionysos totally called it way back when the Daddy Hug trailer was released). All that aside, it looks visually spectacular. In a nut shell, I think it is something people will look forward to, whether they be sceptical or otherwise. There hasn't been anything like this really before and that's always exciting. In a way it is good that Square Enix has created this first-of-its-kind movie in tandem with a Final Fantasy game, as I always felt it a little bit of a pity that Spirits Within wasn't grounded in the series; it always seemed a bit odd just sitting there on its own with characters we never heard of before or will see again. Kings Glaive will be certainly different in that regard but I'm not sure if that will help ground the actual game or make it look like the spin-off instead. That would be ironic! :lew:

Maybe this will clear some things up for you:

Tabata: When we first sat down to re-plan the project that’s Final Fantasy XV, we really looked at which elements we need and should use and could do to create that kind of unique gameplay experience that we wouldn’t really get anywhere else. It was a very in-depth discussion about what elements to keep and what to throw away or change. We felt because the theme we’re trying to handle here with the story is such a massive epic tale, we really couldn’t fit all of that into the game that we had the time to make. So we wanted to show the essential things to get the best story across, which is where we decided on that—that’s reflected in the final form of the game.
It’s not that we don’t need to show the Niflheim invasion to get the story across, but because that episode is something that would take up so much effort and time that rather than force it into the game, we started up its own separate project independently, and that’s the tale we wanted to tell with the film. That’s why we moved that to Kingsglaive. From a story perspective we’d have to have both the game and the film, both of these together in one package, but realistically that’s not something we could have done in one game, it’s too much.
It’s very similar to the kind of decision we had to ask ourselves, OK do we spend another six years to develop that whole complete package as one game or do we spend three years to do it in the way that we’re doing now? I think, it really doesn’t affect it which one you get to see—from a story perspective whether you see it as part of the game or through the film, and how we tell that story is not such a thing which is affected by that choice. We really are confident that we’ve made a really great experience with that. We felt the most important thing we needed to depict through the game was that idea of traveling together with these comrades and watching them all grow and develop as people emotionally at the same time. We really have gotten that in there, so from a story perspective I think we’ve done the best we can.

The story and characters are really why fans of the genre find RPGs to be extra special. Certainly the mechanics of the game are important, but as Final Fantasy has proved in the past, much will be tolerated game play wise for the promise of a good yarn. I'm not sure, but what do you guys think of them telling half the story outside of the actual RPG? Does this seem lazy? Another marketing ploy perhaps? Or maybe it is like they say: the only way to deliver the story properly. Which begs the question as to what we as gaming fans find to be of greater importance? Are they really delivering the product we fans or future fans are looking for?

Tabata has gone on record and expressed that it's impossible to satisfy the needs and demands of every single person out there. At the end of the day, they try and focus on what they feel are the most important aspects of what they are aiming for. Final Fantasy probably has the most divided fan base out there. It isn't uncommon for people to seek a newer FF title that awakens the same emotions as a past title, and/or to have similar themes to a past title and what not. So by default each person's vision of what makes a FF mainline game can vary greatly from person to person. Kingsglaive will be telling a very important part of the story, but it won't take up half of the story of FFXV in its entirety imo. With the way FFXV is being presented, it actually gives the title more reach. For example, say you have a friend that isn't into playing games very much. They love movies though. Let's play this out as if you enjoy FFXV; you naturally recommend an alternative with the CGI movie. The person watches, and in turn that may very well interest the person enough to try out the game. The core FFXV fanbase is more than likely to enjoy all of the lore upfront, but others may need to digest the lore in different formats first.

I want depth for my FF Characters in game... If the story has to be told through movie as well to develop the characters then so be it. But, I do hope that the movie is more than a marketing ploy for Square.

One thing I got to say is that it better be a better movie than Final Fantasy Spirit Within. I personally didn't like the movie at all. This time it seems like they are making a movie of the actual game. Let's see how it goes.

Tabata has gone on record and expressed that it's impossible to satisfy the needs and demands of every single person out there. At the end of the day, they try and focus on what they feel are the most important aspects of what they are aiming for. Final Fantasy probably has the most divided fan base out there. It isn't uncommon for people to seek a newer FF title that awakens the same emotions as a past title, and/or to have similar themes to a past title and what not. So by default each person's vision of what makes a FF mainline game can vary greatly from person to person. Kingsglaive will be telling a very important part of the story, but it won't take up half of the story of FFXV in its entirety imo. With the way FFXV is being presented, it actually gives the title more reach. For example, say you have a friend that isn't into playing games very much. They love movies though. Let's play this out as if you enjoy FFXV; you naturally recommend an alternative with the CGI movie. The person watches, and in turn that may very well interest the person enough to try out the game. The core FFXV fanbase is more than likely to enjoy all of the lore upfront, but others may need to digest the lore in different formats first.

I realize that it is impossible to please everyone, and I think everyone everywhere should realize that too... Here is my biggest thing for me, if this was to just to expand on the story, or give the whole store a "complete feel to it" or whatever they want to call it, why do they feel the need to spend so much money on it, to the point where they are hiring these big names, and the CGI again is so real that I would almost say it seems almost cheaper to get real people, heck they spent the money on the big names... Now I realize that they can't get real people because they need to translate this into so many different languages, but my god did they have to go so nuts on the spending for this movie?

I personally fear this is one of those, if it is even semi successful on their end, they will do it to all their future games, even maybe to the VII remake... "instead of the episodic gaming experience, we will give you one game, 2 movies, 2 animes, and a bunch of other stuff!"

Ok myabe I am being a little dramatic on that end, I just want this to be an actual good movie, and not one that becomes visually pretty, but doesn't get any depth or to the point where you have to watch the movie and the anime and play the other stuff just so the actual game makes sense....

This isn't in just relation to Kingsglaive, but FFXV as an entire product. I hope this clears things up for you some -

1:45 - 2:42 addresses the disappointment that a lot of the fan base has atm
7:34 - 10:15 addresses the technology push and the current dire status of the franchise

2:21 - 3:12 - Tabata expresses what his viewpoint of taking the series back to its roots means

Square Enix update the official website of Final Fantasy XV: Kingsglaive, adding new screenshots and information for six new characters that will appear in the CGI move, and at least for Ravus and Glauca, in the game as well.

Ravus Nox Fleuret is Luna’s brother and an officer of the Niflheim army. He’s present during the attack on Lucis.

General Glauca is a mysterious and important member of the imperial army. He’s fully covered in armor.

Pelna Khara is a young member of the Kingsglaive, very clever and gifted with excellent insight.

Tredd Furia is a top-class Glaive, highly trained and professional.

Axis Arra is also a Glaive but he’s not very talkative.

Sonitus Bellum is a master of arms, placing high value on discipline.

Click the link below to see the new images .

www.dualshockers.com/2016/07/07/new...-screenshots-and-art-introduce-new-characters

Back