Gil
Edgar's Tent
FFXIV
L'ulech Tia
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
Gaia
So Final Fantasy XV's official demo is now out on PS4 and Xbox One, and if you play it to completion you are given a Carbuncle which will carry over into the main game. You also get to name it, which I think is pretty fun since the days of getting to name all the characters in FF games are long gone.

So, everyone who has their Carbuncle: what name did you settle on?

Me, after deliberating over many names with some meaning or historical FF reference, decided to call mine Carbs. Couldn't resist.

At first I was gonna go with Carby but after a brief moment maybe it was the ears or his squeaky voice, I went with Bluefox. He's just so damn adorable in the demo.

Carbuncle because I like official material. Call me boring... whatever, lol.

I also stuck with 'Carbuncle' because I wasn't sure if I wanted an altered name at this stage.

Thinking again about it, I could have gone with 'Chloe'... Chloe the Carbuncle sounds about right.

Or I could have used 'Barco Centenera', or 'Centenera', because of the conquistadors who reported the carbuncle creature.

I named it "Galacat" :griin:

im gonna go with shitface when i get around to playing it

"Isn't This The Creature From The Last Guardian" is probably too many characters.

Maybe "Trico".

Nah. "BunnyFoxDogCat" it is.

Let's pretend I have played the demo.

So, are people who don't play the demo at a disadvantage? :hmmm:

No idea what i'd call mine if I could. Probably just boring Carbuncle unless y'all can inspire me to something else

So, are people who don't play the demo at a disadvantage? :hmmm:

No idea what i'd call mine if I could. Probably just boring Carbuncle unless y'all can inspire me to something else

Disadvantage? Nope, you just miss out on Carbuncle as a summon in the final game if you don't finish it. It is a free demo and probably won't go away though.

Disadvantage? Nope, you just miss out on Carbuncle as a summon in the final game if you don't finish it. It is a free demo and probably won't go away though.

Oh, wow. I didn't actually realise that playing the demo grants us Carbuncle as a summon in the actual game. How does the final game read that we've played and completed the demo?

As for disadvantages.... That's quite an important one since Carbuncle looks amazing! They got the fur right and everything, but I'm particularly impressed with the way that the light shines through the gemstone. It looks impressive.

Oh, wow. I didn't actually realise that playing the demo grants us Carbuncle as a summon in the actual game. How does the final game read that we've played and completed the demo?

As for disadvantages.... That's quite an important one since Carbuncle looks amazing! They got the fur right and everything, but I'm particularly impressed with the way that the light shines through the gemstone. It looks impressive.

I assume it will just read your data upon starting the game. Square Enix did say we would get it in the final game if we complete the demo, mhm. I assume it is a healing summon that may unlock new healing abilities. It does look impressive! It would be very nice if we get some backstory to it in the final game but I heard the demo ties into the anime which takes place before XV.

Yep, if you look closely you'll see that in the anime Noctis was almost mortally wounded by a Shiva-type beast when he was young, and the demo is what he saw while unconscious and fighting to recover. But then, how the Carbuncle is both real and in his dreams is yet to be fully explained, so we may see that plot device come up in more detail in the main game.

Square Enix has made this the official demo of FFXV, so it'll be around forever. There's no reason not to play it to get the Carbuncle before starting the main game, so I'm not sure I'd say it's an unfair advantage.

I assume it will just read your data upon starting the game. Square Enix did say we would get it in the final game if we complete the demo, mhm. I assume it is a healing summon that may unlock new healing abilities. It does look impressive! It would be very nice if we get some backstory to it in the final game but I heard the demo ties into the anime which takes place before XV.

Well that's a disadvantage then, silly.

Yep, if you look closely you'll see that in the anime Noctis was almost mortally wounded by a Shiva-type beast when he was young, and the demo is what he saw while unconscious and fighting to recover. But then, how the Carbuncle is both real and in his dreams is yet to be fully explained, so we may see that plot device come up in more detail in the main game.

Square Enix has made this the official demo of FFXV, so it'll be around forever. There's no reason not to play it to get the Carbuncle before starting the main game, so I'm not sure I'd say it's an unfair advantage.

Anything that affects gameplay that other people dont get is surely an advantage? :hmmm:

Unless they release the demo on PC too, buyers of an inevitable PC release further down the line will probably be disadvantaged too.

A crappy PC port would probably be a more pressing issue, of course.

Anything that affects gameplay that other people dont get is surely an advantage? :hmmm:

Well to me that's like saying it's an advantage for some people to get Yojimbo in FFX. It's optional, but accessible to everyone. (Always go for Yojimbo btw, makes the final boss a piece of cake)

One thing I am curious about is whether how many crystals you collect imports anything into the game as well, or how many weapons you unlock. I saw someone found 999 crystals in the demo, me I thought I was doing well when I had 375. That would also call into question if you play the demo multiple times, can you choose which playthrough to import? My guess is there's only one save slot, though. If not I suppose you could build up a small army of custom Carbuncles and decide which name you want to go with when you launch the full game :lew:

Since he was in Noctis's dreams and yet can be real at the same time I wonder if they are nabbing some of the XI lore for Carbuncle where they made Diabolos and our beloved Carbuncle here avatars of dreams. Diabolos was the more emphasized one of dreams and they made Carbuncle more related to Fenrir. Might be wrong with Carby being related to dreams it's been so long since I did those story bits, but since he existed in both worlds and was talking to him and not just interacting with the environment like we saw with Titan and Leviathan he might be a dream esque summon in this game.

I'm not a huge on changing the names of anything or anyone in my games (if they have a default name). I simply left it as Carbuncle in the Platinum Demo.

Hopefully he's fairly useful in the actual game, when it comes to be that time.

i don't remember getting a choice to rename the carbuncle. Guess I'll have to replay it? Has it updated or am I just thick?

Back