Final Fantasy XV Nabs Florence and the Machine for Theme Song

I honestly don't care either way. I cared about them using Leona Lewis, but then I realized... they only ever use the theme songs for like a minute or two across the entire game, usually in the credits. Despite the lyrics being ridiculous, I also later realized that My Hands works well musically for XIII anyway. But because of how rarely these songs are used in-game it really has no impact on anything to me.

That being said, I don't think the song fits at all musically or arrangement-wise. Florence + The Machine doesn't in any way have a subtle or emotional sound to me. There's little depth. Lyrical themes aside, I also don't think the sound of the song works well for what we've seen of the game. It just doesn't feel dark enough. I'd rather hear something instrument-wise akin to the more orchestral, softer, progressive elements you find in a Kamelot ballad/instrumental for example; something that fits with the feel of the music we've already heard from the game. And when it comes to vocals, there needs to be more oomph. Not to say Florence is a bad singer, but her range is limited, and her vibrato is too abrasive. Needs something smoother and softer, but still with some really great power.

Still, I'm glad for her, because she seemed to actually enjoy the work she got to do :)

Leona Lewis was bad, Florence and The Machine is also a bad choice. Also, if that "Stand by Me" is the theme song for the game, yep that sounds horrible af. :> Final Fantasy used to get artists to come up with songs for the game, not grab a random song and put it in. Utada Hikaru, although for the Kingdom Heart series, was really good for songs. I don't care if it is Japanese or English as long the music/lyrics and ALL of it fits the game, If it is in fact a "sad" game, Stand by Me was a TERRIBLE choice, the music actually sounded satire and the vocals surely didn't deliver the theme, I don't care about the lyrics here, the vocals and the music seemed WAY out of place.

I feel pretty much the same way about it but I'm sure it will only play during one part of the game. I hope it isn't the main theme because Somnus has always been the main them for versus/FFXV.

Here's a quote fore reference: The indie rock artist's rendition debuted with the latest trailer for the game, and plays over a montage of Noctis and his friends and family spending time together and battling. It's a surprising choice: typically Final Fantasy games that chose to adopt a song to represent them have gone with Japanese artists---Angela Ak sung Final Fantasy XII's "Kiss Me Goodbye," Faye Wong VIII's "Eye On Me", and Rikki "Suteki da Ne?" from X.

"I didn't know much about Florence initially," Tabata says of choosing the artist to represent his game. "When we were looking for an artist that had their own unique world in their own right, we wanted someone who would fit the world of Final Fantasy XV. We had a bunch of people come up with suggestions for artists to look into, and among those that popped up, we really felt that Florence would really flesh out the world and make it even more beautiful and bring in new fans and interest to the game."

Tabata also confirmed the song will play somewhere in the game--but it definitely won't be while our boys are on their road trip. It's not an appropriate song for a car ride, he says.

I by no means agree with using Florence as a PR stunt though.

This is a summary of a recent interview of Tabata with his thoughts over the song "Stand By Me" from Nova Crystallis:

Original Link: http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20160402_751345.html
Following the media rush after the Uncovered: Final Fantasy XV event and an announcement of the game’s theme song, director Hajime Tabata reveals to Game Watch that he had chosen the theme, “Stand by Me,” and explains the context of the song.
In Final Fantasy XV, “Stand by Me” is not intended to be a love song but rather a kind of prayer or message from the protagonist, Noctis Lucis Caelum. Tabata says the image he has in mind is that of the song being heard in a church. The song expresses his gratitude for the important people in his life, such as his father, his friends, and his betrothed, Lunafreya Nox Fleuret; the song is his way of saying, “Thank you for being with me.” The theme has less to do with sentimentality and more to do with prayer. For fear of spoiling key plot points, Tabata could not say much else.
On the surface, “Stand by Me” compliments the road movie theme of Final Fantasy XV. However, Tabata explains that once we truly understand the lyrics, we will realize that they have very much to do with Noctis.
“Stand by Me” will be performed by Florence and the Machine and is a reimagining of Ben E. King’s 1961 song.

I personally think the song fits well with the game. Is it going to overshadow Sommus that is already iconic with FFXV fans? That's a hell no.

This is a summary of a recent interview of Tabata with his thoughts over the song "Stand By Me" from Nova Crystallis:

Original Link: http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20160402_751345.html
Following the media rush after the Uncovered: Final Fantasy XV event and an announcement of the game’s theme song, director Hajime Tabata reveals to Game Watch that he had chosen the theme, “Stand by Me,” and explains the context of the song.
In Final Fantasy XV, “Stand by Me” is not intended to be a love song but rather a kind of prayer or message from the protagonist, Noctis Lucis Caelum. Tabata says the image he has in mind is that of the song being heard in a church. The song expresses his gratitude for the important people in his life, such as his father, his friends, and his betrothed, Lunafreya Nox Fleuret; the song is his way of saying, “Thank you for being with me.” The theme has less to do with sentimentality and more to do with prayer. For fear of spoiling key plot points, Tabata could not say much else.
On the surface, “Stand by Me” compliments the road movie theme of Final Fantasy XV. However, Tabata explains that once we truly understand the lyrics, we will realize that they have very much to do with Noctis.
“Stand by Me” will be performed by Florence and the Machine and is a reimagining of Ben E. King’s 1961 song.

I personally think the song fits well with the game. Is it going to overshadow Sommus that is already iconic with FFXV fans? That's a hell no.

I mean the song sounds a little cheesy but like others have said when hasn't it been cheesy in Final Fantasy. But what that interview states is the feeling I got from it. I also felt that it is in a way Square-Enix saying stand by them for this title as it has been a long time coming.

But out hey people just blabber on and on negatively so yeah it sucks! Haha

I mean the song sounds a little cheesy but like others have said when hasn't it been cheesy in Final Fantasy. But what that interview states is the feeling I got from it. I also felt that it is in a way Square-Enix saying stand by them for this title as it has been a long time coming.

But out hey people just blabber on and on negatively so yeah it sucks! Haha

Good shout. The Stand By Me line also fits together really well with that trailer we saw of Noctis and his father crying together. Florence has an incredible emotion to her voice which works with FF storylines (especially her dark tone fitting with this dark game). If they were going to choose a popular singer, they picked the perfect person. Check out her older songs (specifically Howl, Heavy In Your Arms and Drumming Song) and you get to see how her darker vibe fits this darker game all the better.

Then you see how she does religious music too (Ceremonials) and it really marries with what he said in that interview; the song is connected with prayer. You can see why she was picked in so many ways. I can see why people who don't really know her background would say no due to her being popular and not this Japanese singer that they would expect for the series, but she fits the bill either way.

I also agree with you saying how people are always wanting to be negative. It's like a go-to thing now on the internet (I say now...).

Back