Mastering Quistis' Blue Magic

Busta

Bang-a-Rang!
Veteran
Gil
Seymour
As we are used to in Final Fantasy games, each installment seems to have a Blue Mage where his/her abilities are learned from stealing from enemies somehow.

How many of Quistis' did you obtain before you beat the game or put it down for good?

I know it was a ways back, but I only got a few. I know I didn't even come close to getting her top one's, and I hardly used her at all throughout the game. I kinda stuck to just leveling her up with my back-up characters' but once I realized that I didn't need to level to get powerful in this game, I stopped used her all together. I'm pretty sure her blue magic arsenal is only around 4-6 spells at most.

Any idea if you got them all?!

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Blue_Magic_(Final_Fantasy_VIII)
She has 15 possible learnable skills in total. Out of the skills I ranks these as must haves for her:
1. Degenerator - This is the reason why she is the best power leveling character in the game. All you have to do is petrify one party member. Petrified members do not gain exp. Then go to either the "Island Closest to Heaven", or "Island Closest to Heaven" with her equipped with the ability "Initiative" and use "Degenerator" over and over again. Meanwhile, your non-petrified character should have the Summon Cactuar equipped with all stat bonuses per level. Rinse and repeat until all are maxed.
2. Shockwave Pulsar - Her highest damaging skill that can break the 9,999 limit. It's the same special that Griever uses.
3. Mighty Guard - Pretty nice party buff that may cast Aura on everybody for instant limit breaks.

4 & 5 are useful skills to use for damage before Shockwave Pulsar is gained:
4. Micro Missiles - This skill works like a demi based attack taking away HP depending on how much remains. It's an easy way to get 9,999 damage on higher HP enemies that it does work on.
5. Homing Laser - Once the enemy gets into an HP area where Micro Missiles no longer does max damage, this skill becomes the replacement.

I didn't put Bad Breath on there since bosses are almost completely immune to it. I've managed to get them all at once at one point in time. Shockwave Pulsar is the hardest to obtain out of the skills.

I got most of hers but would always end up missing shockwave pulsar, apparently there was a way to get the item in Lunatic Pandora if you did things as Laguna a certain way when he was in there with Squall and co, but I never found it or got it. Other then that most of her spells were easy to get besides the Bad Breath one, simply because of the Malboros tendency to spam Bad Breath. But if I was hunting for Doomtrain by then I had some abilities to help me out to get around that, that or enough status def to ensure Quitis would get her limit break off and not be confused or asleep.

I got most of hers but would always end up missing shockwave pulsar, apparently there was a way to get the item in Lunatic Pandora if you did things as Laguna a certain way when he was in there with Squall and co, but I never found it or got it.

The only way to get the Dark Matter to teach Quistis Shockwave Pulsar is from refining 100 Curse Spikes or from Chocobo World, there's definitely not one to find in Lunatic Pandora as Laguna.

I never managed to get all of her blue magic skills because I wasn't interested on using her. I was more on Rinoa side. The only blue magic skills that I managed to get were Micro Missiles, Mighty Guard and Degenerator. Those were the ones I can remember.

I only really got the ones that I picked up by chance. I probably had 80% of them and saw about 20% of them - I never used Quistis really and I wasn't much of a completionist at the tender age I originally played FF8 :grin:

Back