Playstation Replaying DQVIII NEED TIPS

Jameson

Gil
I couldn't seem to find a thread to post this in, so I hope I'm not creating a topic that's already out there. >_<

Anyways...

Recently I set my PS2 up again, and it's honestly been one of the best decisions I've made in a long time. Granted, it wasn't all that serious of a decision haha. However, it's given me the opportunity to revisit some of my favorite titles in the Final Fantasy franchise as well as some others (mainly Dark Cloud 1 & 2). Lately I've been craving (like chicken nuggets...) to revisit Dragon Quest VIII.

I LOVED that game.

One issue I had with it though, was Dhoulmagus. I understand he's a boss and is supposed to be difficult. But DAMN if I didn't get stuck there on every play through. And I'm talking not too far into the game either. I believe it's the first encounter on that island. So I guess what I'm trying to get at is, do you have any tips for conquering this SOB or tips on character builds? I seem to always focus the Hero on spears, strictly due to attack power.

I will say I did watch a video on YouTube recently that showed the boss battle and how this specific person defeated him, however he utilized things I didn't know you could do. For instance, summoning huge monsters? Where the hell did he get those?! Is that something I've always had access to and never utilized? If so....I feel foolish. But c'est la vie...

I couldn't seem to find a thread to post this in, so I hope I'm not creating a topic that's already out there. >_<

Anyways...

Recently I set my PS2 up again, and it's honestly been one of the best decisions I've made in a long time. Granted, it wasn't all that serious of a decision haha. However, it's given me the opportunity to revisit some of my favorite titles in the Final Fantasy franchise as well as some others (mainly Dark Cloud 1 & 2). Lately I've been craving (like chicken nuggets...) to revisit Dragon Quest VIII.

I LOVED that game.

One issue I had with it though, was Dhoulmagus. I understand he's a boss and is supposed to be difficult. But DAMN if I didn't get stuck there on every play through. And I'm talking not too far into the game either. I believe it's the first encounter on that island. So I guess what I'm trying to get at is, do you have any tips for conquering this SOB or tips on character builds? I seem to always focus the Hero on spears, strictly due to attack power.

I will say I did watch a video on YouTube recently that showed the boss battle and how this specific person defeated him, however he utilized things I didn't know you could do. For instance, summoning huge monsters? Where the hell did he get those?! Is that something I've always had access to and never utilized? If so....I feel foolish. But c'est la vie...
Hi Jameson. Nice to meet you. I too love this title, but it has been a zillion years since I played it. Where exactly in the game are you?

Back