PSX 2015: FINAL FANTASY 7 REMAKE WILL BE A MULTI-PART SERIES

Although I don't really want them to drastically alter the original nor do I want the game to be heavily retconned I'm open to the possibility of some of the wider FFVII series being included in the remake. I suspect that's what they'll be planning to do and would only be possible in the episodic format they've taken on.

I haven't played anything in the FFVII series other than the original game but I'd be open to them including the epilogical content of Crisis Core either before the events of the original or even by expanding the Kalm flashback to include them. I realise Cloud tells it from his impaired perspective so there's some tinkering that would need to be done if they were to try something like that, but I think given how the original told it's convoluted story in a way that came across as hurried and shorn of clarifications they'll most likely be working on putting that right in the remake.

I think a lot of people might prefer to see Cloud's impaired recollection of the Nibelheim incident in Kalm first, but they might be open to seeing the true order of events in more detail when Tifa helps Cloud regain his wits in the lifestream, and when the existence of Zack is revealed. It might please Crisis Core fans for them to expand on this scene and allow people to see Zack in action. If they have Genesis flapping about during this moment, however, they might ruin one of the game's most famous scenes for thousands of people. That would be comparable to George Lucas changing Darth Vader's force ghost into Hayden Christensen in the remastered version of Return of the Jedi.

As for other extra content, I wonder if it'll be time for them to expand on characters such as Red XIII/Nanaki. In Before Crisis there is a female member of Nanaki's species (Deneh). Perhaps the game could include flashbacks of her, or flashbacks to Nanaki's capture by Shinra? How about showing us Seto (Nanaki's father) in action in a flashback against the Gi Tribe (and explaining what the Gi Tribe actually are while they do so)? Sometimes it isn't a good thing to reveal absolutely everything, and allowing the audience the chance to imagine and fill in the gaps themselves can lead to greater interest, but I guess scenes like these could also be cool from a visual perspective. If they don't want to use too many flashbacks then perhaps we can see Deneh about somewhere.

I'd personally love to see them expand on Cait Sith (especially if we get to see more of Reeve too). Perhaps we can learn a bit about how Reeve controls Cait Sith, and what the consequences of this ability might be (does he have an identity crisis, nose bleeds, etc, and does he sometimes need to hide himself in a cupboard or something while he controls Cait Sith? Or perhaps he just issues orders and the Cait Sith acts semi-independently?). I don't think they ever completely explained the ability (maybe they did, but I've forgotten).

With Yuffie perhaps they could go into more detail where the Wutai war is concerned.

We have plenty of information on Vincent's backstory and character to place into the VII Remake (thanks to Dirge of Cerberus, etc), too.

If they wanted optional superbosses (to add to the original ones such as Ruby Weapon and Emerald Weapon) then might they want to add compilation stuff such as Genesis and references the Deep Ground Soldiers here, rather than introducing them into the plot itself? That way Compilation fans might be satisfied that their canonicity hasn't been ignored, and people who did not like the Compilation as much wont have their memories of the original FFVII trampled on by interlopers to the plot.

Why are we getting worked up over this? It's been a few days, let's keep it cool. I heard the news, groaned a bit, then focused on the pros. I'm excited for the game. Until then, I"ll have FF7 (PS4) to keep me happy as I anticipate the new FF7 experience.
So you are telling me that this is the future of FF and maybe not just FF but every anticipated title after FF7? This is a business model that didn't work out so hot with CyberConnect2. They stay afloat through the lore they created more than their games, and unfortunately, their games is what they consider their main form of media.

Back