FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
[05/12] Final Fantasy VII Remake: first footage from PlayStation Experience

JjUmfPp.jpg

People have been clamouring for another look at the FFVII Remake since its announcement half a year ago. PlayStation Experience has decided to kickstart its keynote show with a trailer for it.

Yes, the combat is reminiscent of what the old Final Fantasy Versus XIII project was going for, before it was killed in favour of the current Final Fantasy XV. It will be action-based, but with menu commands.

NeoGAF

Last edited:
Dang, you are fast!

And wow, PSX got off to an awesome start this year. I wasn't sure if we'd have much in the way of new FFVII content, and then SE went and dropped gameplay footage and English dubs and all that right from the start! Well played, well played indeed.

Oh wow!

This actually looks quite good, so I'm relieved.

I'm not so keen on the redesign of Barret, but I could get used to it and at least they have his age about right. In Advent Children he looked younger (as did Cid) and he was dressed like a rapper. At least in this remake he does look like an aggressive leader of an eco-terrorist group (so they might not sidestep this entirely, thankfully).

Some (not all) of the voice overs worry me slightly, but these are early days.

About these early days.... I hope we don't see a repeat of the mistakes that they made with publicising Versus too early. Hopefully we do get this game within a few years after all.

The game play looks great, although I am sure people are going complain that it isn't "pure ATB." Really overall I think it is looking like a great remake to a classic game.

ITS EVERYTHING I WANTED IN REGARDS TO GAMEPLAY

my only complaint is the anime voice acting

but im so excited i cannot even type right now i have to calm the fuck down for a while before i can do anything

*bows to square enix*

tumblr_nywgp9vmcl1r8dxfio1_500.gif

tumblr_nywgp9vmcl1r8dxfio2_500.gif

tumblr_nywfilmf2f1s2hy5yo4_1280.png

This is everything I wanted and more. Keeping fairly true to the style, music is on par, multiple character selection during combat, it goes on and on.

Tell me this though, is it likely that over the next few days we will get interviews with the development team members who are currently as PSX? Hopefully they can confirm a few things.

i have to say, it is a LOT more faithful to the original source material than I even thought it would be. I'm expecting big changes as this is a REMAKE or I like to even think of it as an adaptation. But They've already nailed the feeling of the opening to the game. Really, really happy.

Also, love the combat, I am certainlywilling to embrace an Action/RPG combat system this time and the way Cloud was mowing down them soliders just looked epic! Also, you can change main character! Barret was clearly being controller in that footage and even used 'Big Shot'! The evnironment looked really expanded too, more so than I expected... that's just one area within the game can all the otehr areas within the world be that big... Honestly, nay-sayers... can you really say that you're dissapointed from that?

I want to say that I never expected anything much when I watched the PlayStation experience stream. Seeing it live made me more hyped than ever and I do not think it would have been the same reaction if I saw the trailer after it was revealed. Let it be known that I think the remake looks stellar. The combat is everything I was expecting it to be and much more. Just for context: Tabata said in an interview back that he wanted FFXV to rival the VII remake, and I think that is what he means after seeing this. Tabata also strongly said that FFXV is the birth of a new final fantasy series that will cater more to the west, and not just Japan. I think he means that the marketing campaign has expanded much further and future FF games will be action orientated and open world. Now that we see the VII remake is an action RPG with some atbs, I think it truly is the end for turn based FF. I strongly believe that this new direction of FF might be a stab in the heart for some, but for most of us, change is good and that is exactly what we got here.

As for my thoughts on the actual trailer, well, I will not lie but I "pissed myself", OK not literally, before you think I am sick or something. It is a figure of speech to show how excited I was. The game's graphics, gameplay, and art design all look spectacular. In fact, I am very excited that I have decided to post a few gifs.

ffvii-1e5lnt.gif

tumblr_nywdy3Hr4N1sjbtwdo5_500.gif

tumblr_nywdy3Hr4N1sjbtwdo6_500.gif

Now all that is left is waiting until 2020 or more. I hope that by then my future lovely wife makes me play this wonderful thing. Until then... it is going to be a long wait and I'm excited for FFXV.

And I TOLD YOU ALL that it would be like XV. :mokken:

It looks pretty great actually. While the reactors aren't my favourite places in FF7, this showed them off in a nice modern way and everything. Not sure about the way that you have to duck and make your way around obstacles, Uncharted-style, but depending on the amount of this there is, I can ignore it. The other major factor is the battle system. While it'll never be as good as the system in the original, this looks like a decent alternative. Not that I can really tell what it'll be like from this footage, but I think it looks passable.

One major negative that I'll never forgive! Biggs/Wedge (red bandana guy) has the most god-awful voice acting I've ever heard. I will never forgive this and I hope the VA gets a good slap! (Not really, he'll be dead within hours anyway so who cares).

Ooooh my gooooood. *dead* I don't even have woooords.

People complaining all the time should have some faith! Serves you negativities right! :wacky:

In all seriousness, though......... that's amazing. :D

I'm most impressed with the music, gameplay, graphics, and Barret.

I'm 50/50 on Cloud. I'll wait to see more of him before I jump on it. I at first hated Nate's new look, too, but now I love it.

One major negative that I'll never forgive! Biggs/Wedge (red bandana guy) has the most god-awful voice acting I've ever heard..

Disagree. I think it's actually perfect.

For starters, it sounds a little ill-written because that line is delivered out of context. In the full script I would assume there there was discussion between Barret and Cloud over cloud's intentions that Wedge got stuck in the middle of, and Wedge is trying to 're-affirm' his understanding of why Cloud was there, it's a line he is delivering to Barret, Cloud, but most importantly, himself...
Secondly, he's partly terrified of this guy. There's a large degree of fear and uncertainty in his voice, which nails how I pictured him originally.
Lastly, Wedges character (to me at least) was always one of 'I just wanna punch that guy in the face'. I felt that way in the original, and in a 2 minute trailer they made me feel that way again. A promising sign of things to come as far as I'm concerned :)

Disagree. I think it's actually perfect.

For starters, it sounds a little ill-written because that line is delivered out of context. In the full script I would assume there there was discussion between Barret and Cloud over cloud's intentions that Wedge got stuck in the middle of, and Wedge is trying to 're-affirm' his understanding of why Cloud was there, it's a line he is delivering to Barret, Cloud, but most importantly, himself...
Secondly, he's partly terrified of this guy. There's a large degree of fear and uncertainty in his voice, which nails how I pictured him originally.
Lastly, Wedges character (to me at least) was always one of 'I just wanna punch that guy in the face'. I felt that way in the original, and in a 2 minute trailer they made me feel that way again. A promising sign of things to come as far as I'm concerned :)

I've heard better voice acting portraying fear and irritating personality from a potato. I'm joking, but it really is badly done; hopefully to be fixed for the full game. Either way, I'm not bothered because he's a throwaway character :).

I would imagine this to have been hastily recorded dialogue for the purpose of a trailer and perhaps not what it might sound like in the final product. While I'm quite surprised that they've actual gameplay footage to show (whether it's anywhere near a representative genuine vertical slice of what it will look like is another question) and it likely signifies that they're further ahead in development than I initially believed, it's still too early to be in the official voice recording stage.

The voices here are nothing amazing. They're very bog standard, except for Wedge, who sounds really odd here, like the voice actor was nervously gulping in the middle of his line. That could have been the intention, but it's easily the weakest voice in the trailer.

I was hoping to see Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie's design and very happy and suprised to get what i wanted. I was worried about how wedge would look, but my expectations werent high, so he is satisfactory. I will say the trailer is shotty. They just kind of jump from scene to scene in an odd fashion and I wasn't convinced Jessie hit that infantryman as hard as she could.

The game play is obviously pre rendered but all I saw in the action were the attacks. I'm still not overjoyed until I see the party battles and how we use materia.

They captured the opening scene perfectly but I hope that's not a sign that all the clunky scenes we saw in the original won't get refined. I think the characters look too clean.

Overall though I have no complaints on the direction so far. But my concerns are still there.

Wow.....
Each new thing we see with this game literally leaves me speechless and at a loss for words. I've been skeptical as hell about stuff with combat since the announcement of the remake happening. While it isn't the traditional turn based, I'm glad and OVERLY JOYED it isn't like that god awful combat 13 had.

THIS though? Looks absolutely fucking amazing. Keep doing what you're doing, SE. My doubts are slowly fading

Yep, after going full Chris chan on this shit, I'm convinced they made Cloud too thin. :lew: I know this is purely a fangirl complaint but it should bother male fans, too.

In the original game, when you’re in the Honeybee Inn, Don Corneo will call Cloud healthy looking and if Cloud isn’t chosen one of the men will say this to Cloud; “Hey…you’re in pretty good shape. Look it your tight little bod……No, it’s more like…muscles…

Right before you enter Don’s mansion one of the men will say this to Cloud “Ummm, young girls…soft skin. Ummm, OK, I’m refreshed now!…Mmmm? Pretty hard. You work out?

Cloud's dress is baggy and long-sleeved, so when Don says Cloud is 'healthy looking' he's thinking Cloud's a 'fat' girl due to how bulky his body is in the dress. Then the perverts in the Don's mansion were able to determine that Cloud had a muscled body, despite him being in a gown, this means that Cloud's body mass was bulky enough that his muscled arms and torso were visible even though he was completely covered in a dress.

Barret calls Cloud a 'skinny ass' but that's because everyone is skinny compared to Barret.... and that's just how he talks.

But what proves he's abnormally skinny is the ending of Crisis Core.
tumblr_inline_nyxyuhZ38P1qh4qwy_540.png

That takes place directly before Cloud reaches Midgar so... I mean?

tumblr_inline_nyxzrwhVpZ1qh4qwy_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_nyy0e86TZ61qh4qwy_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_nyy0wzpdJ01qh4qwy_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_nyy8x5wIvh1qh4qwy_540.png

tumblr_inline_nyy08nPBwy1qh4qwy_540.png

I don't know what the visual team was thinking when they did this, but I hope they fix it for the game's release.

Yep, after going full Chris chan on this shit, I'm convinced they made Cloud too thin. :lew:

Yeah he is a little to skinny :P I must admit I thought that in a couple of scenes. I doubt they will change it to much though.

Just so you all know, regarding Wedges voice (no idea why I feel I need to defend it so much, but whatever) That conversation takes place alongside Barret's line:
'We're paying you more than a few gill, you best be worth it'. The conversation with Cloud, Barret and Wedge would go something like this:

Cloud: 'Something something all this for a few gill..'
Barret: 'We're paying you more than a few gill, you best be worth it'
Wedge: 'Cloud isn't concerned about the money... (turns to Cloud) 'You're doing this for the planet, same as us'
Again, this line out of context does sound like rubbish.. and they should have re-worded it for the trailer I think. His voice is exactly on par with most fat/ chubby 18-23year olds that have just spent the better half of an hour scaling stairs and running all over the place. Recently catching his breath etc. I havn't seen one good comment of his voice acting in any forums/ videos and I just think it's spot on lol. (poor wedge..)

Back