Why I fear the remake of Final Fantasy 7.

Similarly - Cloud in drag.
How are they gonna make this legendary, tough lookin' guy wear a dress + wig + make up (???) + girly voice (???)
I swear if they take that out, what's even the point. :mokken:
I hope they make it look bad. Like so many people draw Cloud looking like a 'legit' woman, but I hope Square makes him look so ridiculously unconvincing that way it's even funnier when the guys flirt with him. :lew:

If I have learned anything with SquareSoft/SquareEnix over the years is to have patience. I'll repeat myself here again but think of all the lore that has been added to the realm of FF7 since 1997. Imagine having a good chunk of that additional lore within the remake. I could very easily see it being larger than a single disc. This is just a speculated example: Imagine if the final disc of the remake did not just involve the final showdown with Sephiroth, but also went into the events of Advent Children in much more detail. Would the pacing be all over the place? It may very well be if you associate it to the pacing of the original. It's natural to expect that the pacing would be different in some aspects to the original. The remake won't be a 1:1 copy of the original. SE does intend on making each disc feel like a full release game, even though we don't know the full context behind that yet. For now, I advise you and anybody else that has worries to wait.

I've got one reason.

Red XIII dressed as a human.

How in God's name are they going to do THAT.

One of my favourite funny moments from the game.

They should be able to include it. They just need to animate a Shinra soldier walking awkwardly, with a tail hanging out, and maybe Nanaki's muzzle exposed (or perhaps hidden behind a mask).

The trickier thing will be having all of the other Shinra soldiers and employees falling for it without them looking completely stupid and incompetent.

I really hope that they handle Red XIII well. I know he'll be a problem for them graphically, but they NEED to keep this sort of thing in the game.

What about the Gold Saucer play? With the over-the-top head rotations and ballet twirls?

If I have learned anything with SquareSoft/SquareEnix over the years is to have patience. I'll repeat myself here again but think of all the lore that has been added to the realm of FF7 since 1997. Imagine having a good chunk of that additional lore within the remake. I could very easily see it being larger than a single disc. This is just a speculated example: Imagine if the final disc of the remake did not just involve the final showdown with Sephiroth, but also went into the events of Advent Children in much more detail. Would the pacing be all over the place? It may very well be if you associate it to the pacing of the original. It's natural to expect that the pacing would be different in some aspects to the original. The remake won't be a 1:1 copy of the original. SE does intend on making each disc feel like a full release game, even though we don't know the full context behind that yet. For now, I advise you and anybody else that has worries to wait.

Well the problem in my opinion is that SE hasn't done anything since the previous console generation started to earn my trust in them. Let me clarify: I have faith in the development team behind the remake and their skills, but I have no faith in Square's bosses. Corporate higher ups are greedy bastards with a bottomless lust for money. They are not doing the remake to please anything except shareholders, who mind you know nothing about games or propably even final fantasy.

Also, what exactly is this so called "full game's worth of content"? Are they palnning to stretch each part's runtime with shallow and soulless fetch quests and mmo style BS? How are they going to expand a 50+ hour story into multiple 50+ hour stories? If they release the remake in more than 2 installments, then it's nothing but a greedy attempt to bleed us for more money, without any integrity.

The corporate hand in the matter makes sense. That seems to be an issue that isn't just limited to SE, but a lot of other AAA companies as well. Perhaps that is due to gaming being too big and too mainstream now and these days. Either way, I wouldn't be able to provide an accurate answer. With the release style presented, we have almost no context to work with. Don't get me wrong, I see where you're coming from with the possibility of this being a greedy move, but I also see the possibility of this being pulled off in an effective manner. That's why I am personally staying neutral for the time being. With these multi-releases, I am personally expecting there to be no excuses for any DLC. A positive I find in that possible outcome would be that all the content would be on disc. You wouldn't have to worry about codes not existing in the future. We don't have clarity on this topic, and that is probably a big reason why many are worried the way that they are. If corporate does want to screw over the players, this just tells me that they didn't learn anything from the DLC model practice of XIII-2.

The corporate hand in the matter makes sense. That seems to be an issue that isn't just limited to SE, but a lot of other AAA companies as well. Perhaps that is due to gaming being too big and too mainstream now and these days. Either way, I wouldn't be able to provide an accurate answer. With the release style presented, we have almost no context to work with. Don't get me wrong, I see where you're coming from with the possibility of this being a greedy move, but I also see the possibility of this being pulled off in an effective manner. That's why I am personally staying neutral for the time being. With these multi-releases, I am personally expecting there to be no excuses for any DLC. A positive I find in that possible outcome would be that all the content would be on disc. You wouldn't have to worry about codes not existing in the future. We don't have clarity on this topic, and that is probably a big reason why many are worried the way that they are. If corporate does want to screw over the players, this just tells me that they didn't learn anything from the DLC model practice of XIII-2.

Well yeah. I guess the biggest issue is the utter lack of information regarding this project. And a lot of people are propably preparing for the worst case scenario because they don't want to be disappointed any further. It's better to expect the worst and not be disappointed than to hope and be let down. It's pessimistic sure, but inside every pessimist lies a heartbroken idealist.

People DID want it remade. After it's announcement at E3 2015 people were super excited, with the exception of the vocal minority who always complain about something. Then half a year later SE reveals that they are basically planning to make us pay multiple times for the remake, because they think it's "too big for a single game". No matter how they do that, the story pacing will be all over the place. Which has sparked the mentality that SE isn't making this game out of respect or love for the original, but because they consider us suckers to be relieved of our money. A moment that first felt like an act of kindness to the fanbase turned into an act of greed in everyones eyes. THIS is the problem. Nitpicking about changing small details has been there since long before the remake was even announced. It's not new.

Also to those of you wondering; Cloud in drag has already been confirmed, so chill.

Let me ask you 1 question, does this really surprise you? Why else would a company remake its most popular entry for any other reason that getting fat amounts of cash? In the end we're all just dollar signs. Nothing more, nothing less.

Let me ask you 1 question, does this really surprise you? Why else would a company remake its most popular entry for any other reason that getting fat amounts of cash? In the end we're all just dollar signs. Nothing more, nothing less.

This. We can all talk about the love of making games and wanting people to enjoy them and blah blah blah. At the end of it though, don't you think those people that spent so much time at their job want to get paid?
If you have a job I assume that you want to get paid, right? Well they want to get paid too.

This. We can all talk about the love of making games and wanting people to enjoy them and blah blah blah. At the end of it though, don't you think those people that spent so much time at their job want to get paid?
If you have a job I assume that you want to get paid, right? Well they want to get paid too.

The people actually making the game, the development team that is, propably have that sentiment. And since they do all the hard work, it's their right to be paid for it. But the higher ups who only sit on their asses all day while other people make them money, so they can have that third car, don't get that defence. They already make ten times what their employees make, yet they want more. They don't have integrity.
And that is my arguement here, that there is a difference between doing something profitable but still maintaining integrity, and just plain corporate greed. Compare CD Projekt Red's business practices to Square's and you'll see what I mean.
I may not be able to affect it, but I feel that I still have the right to point it out.

Honestly all businesses are in it for the money. But at some point they know they are squeezing fans out of quick bucks rather than trying tongive players the best experience possible.

I agree about integrity...at some point you have to try to not push corporate greed first.

One thing that I want the game to have is to have a continuous gameplay even after beating it. Not like the original which it doesn't let you continue playing after beating the last boss. The reason why I say this is because you can collect any missing items that you forgot to pick up or even finish a sidequest that you missed. Another cool thing that I want to see is to play as other characters to see each of their stories.

That is one thing I liked too about these newer games is that once you do conquer the final bosses, you can continue on to 100% the game or become even stronger to finish off side-quests and bosses that can do even more damage and have higher health than even the last story-line enemy.

That would be nice, but I would definitely make a final save before facing Jenova and Sephiroth for the final time so I could always go back and do that final battle again if I wanted to. Then souping up your main characters to face off against Ruby and Emerald WEAPON. (whom I still haven't beaten in FFVII from way back when)

So it has been awhile since I posted the original thread. When I posted this, it was basically out of shock value on the remake announcement. Had to react. Interesting to see the debate that ensued. Since then, I haven't thought about the FF7 remake much since it is one of those things where it will either be great, or won't be, and I don't want to entertain the possibility of it being the worst case scenario. Anyway, funny/interesting story that I thought I'd share about this game that kind of goes to the point of what I was originally saying.

I was at the bar a few weeks ago hanging out with a group of my friends, one of which owns a small game shop. The owners girlfriend shows up who isn't really too much into games, but tries to join the conversation for the sake of being social and asks what we were talking about. During the conversation, the FF7 remake turned up in which she of course, hadn't played. My friend says: "oh you should try it it out it's awesome"..in which she agrees to try..

Next weeks he texts me that his GF found the game to be one of the most depressing games ever played. She had a hard time telling who was good and who was bad, questioned why an infant was serving alcoholic drinks, and why the story never seemed to go in any positive direction. She made an interesting point in which she stated that even when you were in areas in which were peaceful (aeirth's house in midgar), the music made you feel like the end was just around the corner and that nothing was at peace.

While my friend was relating this to me, it hit me that these were actually the reasons I loved this game. Anyone who lives more than 5 years starts to realize how dark this world we live in is. Now that I am older and looking back, I realize that the reason I don't want this changed is that I don't want any of the feelings/reactions that I still remember to THIS DAY to be "overwritten" with a less dramatic more politically correct version.

What is funny is how I am reading pages and pages online about how people are arguing about battle systems and mini games, and don't seem to mind the story being changed. At least I still have the original.

So it has been awhile since I posted the original thread. When I posted this, it was basically out of shock value on the remake announcement. Had to react. Interesting to see the debate that ensued. Since then, I haven't thought about the FF7 remake much since it is one of those things where it will either be great, or won't be, and I don't want to entertain the possibility of it being the worst case scenario. Anyway, funny/interesting story that I thought I'd share about this game that kind of goes to the point of what I was originally saying.

I was at the bar a few weeks ago hanging out with a group of my friends, one of which owns a small game shop. The owners girlfriend shows up who isn't really too much into games, but tries to join the conversation for the sake of being social and asks what we were talking about. During the conversation, the FF7 remake turned up in which she of course, hadn't played. My friend says: "oh you should try it it out it's awesome"..in which she agrees to try..

Next weeks he texts me that his GF found the game to be one of the most depressing games ever played. She had a hard time telling who was good and who was bad, questioned why an infant was serving alcoholic drinks, and why the story never seemed to go in any positive direction. She made an interesting point in which she stated that even when you were in areas in which were peaceful (aeirth's house in midgar), the music made you feel like the end was just around the corner and that nothing was at peace.

While my friend was relating this to me, it hit me that these were actually the reasons I loved this game. Anyone who lives more than 5 years starts to realize how dark this world we live in is. Now that I am older and looking back, I realize that the reason I don't want this changed is that I don't want any of the feelings/reactions that I still remember to THIS DAY to be "overwritten" with a less dramatic more politically correct version.

What is funny is how I am reading pages and pages online about how people are arguing about battle systems and mini games, and don't seem to mind the story being changed. At least I still have the original.

I don't personally want to get myself into the conversation of changes with the remake, since that's such an extraordinarily complicated topic with endless layers to consider, and I don't think anyone can ever truly do it justice. As far as VII being depressing, from the perspective of the narrative that's part of what drew me to the game initially way back when I was young. It wasn't so much that it was depressing, as much as that it was the first game I played where the story felt like it was actually mature and for adults. I'd played 'mature' games before, like Doom, Duke Nukem, Beevis and Butthead, etc. But I'd never played anything that tried to craft a realistic (albeit fantastical) world before. However, I think focusing on the depressing part of it is somewhat of a mistake. The one other thing that really drew me to the game story-wise, is that through all the pain, sorrow, and hatred that makes up a lot of FFVII's world, there was always a light of hope. There was always that important levity that says "You can't be sad all of the time.", which was most present when characters where just happy to be exploring. Moments like dressing up like a woman, kicking the soccer ball at Red XIII, the Gold Saucer date, or even just Barret's excitement at finally getting to visit Cosmo Canyon. These are the balance to VII's story... these are what makes us relate to the characters on a deeper level... and these are what really make us feel their pain when they fall on hard times. I think focusing too much on the negative will leave the story empty and melodramatic. As much I can enjoy super depressing stories, I don't want this remake to feel hopelessly dark like Heavy Rain or something.

The story line of Final Fantasy VII is what made the game successful because Square Enix made it look as realistic and interesting as possible. That is why it is one of the most famous Role Playing Game out there. The story was so great and the game had so much impact that the fans asked for a remake. It is my favorite final fantasy game from the series because how well balanced the game is. It has a great story, a unique materia system and a great soundtrack.

Those are the most important elements in the game. As long as Square Enix doesn't ruin those 3 elements, there shouldn't be nothing to fear about the remake. It will definitely turn out as great or better than the 1997 original version.

First, Happy New Year Guys! Second, guess what? The FF7 Demo was just leaked yesterday including the entire first part of the game. I originally made the original post about things I feared in this game and unfortunately looks like I was completely accurate SO FAR. I'm sure you have all seen this leak, but if not *SPOILER ALERT*

In my original post YEARS AGO, first point I believe, I feared due to terrorism in the world that the main characters actions would now be "dumbed down" to a purely self-defense deal. Sure enough, right after the bomb goes off in the reactor, the bomb now only takes out a small section of the reactor. The scene then completely changes to Shinra HQ in which they have a remote control causing the reactor to attack itself causing the destruction.

So far it is hilarious as i'm looking at the reactions and no one seems to notice, but it changes the whole premise of the story/character reflection/guilt of the characters that they faced. Aka Cait Sith's nagging.

HOWEVER, so far, since it has been years since I first wrote this post, I have realized that maybe I just have to realize that in order to sell more copies/changing the rating to anything other than "Mature" will have to be done. And yes, I am aware the original game wasn't "Mature", but the rules have changed.

It seems I will just have to accept that my points will probably be right, but maybe I will just learn to enjoy the game as what it is. I have a strange feeling also that due to this "fear of evil", that Aerith may very well be allowed to live. I just find it so funny that no one has seemed to comment off how drastic of a story change that was just given to us. It is so hilarious how CLEAR they want to make it known that they did NOT cause injury. They focus on the small damage to the reactor caused by the bomb, then they shift to Shinra HQ giving the nod to cause the destruction. Then they show the damage and the smirk. I'm sure the game might still be good, but man, the story of FF7 was dark for a REASON.

Regardless. Happy New Year!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back