Article: Cloud Strife will be in Smash Bros...why? I have no idea. This just happened.

Linnaete

sus
Staff member
Editorial Staff
Veteran
Gil
Andre the Adamantoise
Chocobo Egg
Accessory (Head)
Accessory (Arms)
Build-A-Member
Chocobo Egg
FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
[12/11] Cloud Strife will be in Smash Bros...why? I have no idea. This just happened.

20151112_154409ofoc6.png

I err, uhh, yeah. I got nothing. This is totally not a joke and was just announced at the latest Nintendo Direct. Also announced were western versions of Dragon Quests VII and VIII for 3DS and the obvious Twilight Princess HD.

Well yeah, Cloud's the most recognisable FF character, but he's never been on a Ninty console...yet. [Note: Theatrhythm games on 3DS count!]

Last edited:
...:brooding:

Yeah, I totally forgot about that one. Okay, fine. I guess he counts almost as much as Solid Snake, though it's still utterly left field a choice for something like Smash. :8F:

Completely. I prefer him to Pacman though. And Duckhunt. And ROB. And most of the Fire Emblem bland fighters.

It just occurred to me. Haven't some of the Kingdom Hearts games been out on the Nintendo handhelds, etc, too?

If so then maybe Cloud appears in those Kingdom Hearts games?

It's still random as Cloud is not the sort of character which you would associate with Nintendo.

My brother told me as soon as he found out but when I googled it I couldn't find anything so I thought he was lying to me :gonk:

Then I logged on to twitter and saw my friend from Japan just RT this and I looked over and saw that it was trending in the #1 spot for Japan
tumblr_nxq6c0hMni1qjdex2o2_400.png
tumblr_nxq6c0hMni1qjdex2o3_r1_400.png

They are all very aware of how much money Cloud Strife can bring them.

NO MORE SPAMMING LINK ANYMORE

you didn't even give a source, man;
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11/12/final-fantasy-7s-cloud-coming-to-super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds

!! :hmph:

It's still random as Cloud is not the sort of character which you would associate with Nintendo.

...:brooding:

Yeah, I totally forgot about that one. Okay, fine. I guess he counts almost as much as Solid Snake, though it's still utterly left field a choice for something like Smash. :8F:

FFVII was originally planned for the N64. They went pretty far into development for the game on that console. It was a random last decision to switch over to PS1. So I've always anticipated Cloud being in smash bros. It makes sense.

What people should be talking about is that this might really suggest that the remake will be on other consoles.

...really... :damon:
They are really just doing whatever the hell they want with them... ahh well I guess like Greeny said, he will be better than some of the other characters they have had.... hopefully...

Finally the Link Vs. Cloud death battle will be solved.

Can't wait to watch Strife kick Link's ass once and for all :pooley:

Also,

tumblr_nxq9lhR5q81qjdex2o1_500.jpg

This is what the Cloud amiibo pose will look like. Via official DLC site

GIFS:

tumblr_nxq8zsZA7G1r2tsquo1_400.gif

Cross Slash
tumblr_nxq8zsZA7G1r2tsquo2_400.gif

Bladebeam
tumblr_nxq8zsZA7G1r2tsquo3_400.gif

Climhazzard
tumblr_nxq8zsZA7G1r2tsquo4_400.gif

Finishing Touch

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally the Link Vs. Cloud death battle will be solved.

Can't wait to watch Strife kick Link's ass once and for all :pooley:

Also,

tumblr_nxq9lhR5q81qjdex2o1_500.jpg

This is what the Cloud amiibo pose will look like. Via official DLC site

GIFS:

tumblr_nxq8zsZA7G1r2tsquo1_400.gif

Cross Slash
tumblr_nxq8zsZA7G1r2tsquo2_400.gif

Bladebeam
tumblr_nxq8zsZA7G1r2tsquo3_400.gif

Climhazzard
tumblr_nxq8zsZA7G1r2tsquo4_400.gif

Finishing Touch

The Cloud Vs Link DeathBattle has been solved already. Link won and Cloud lost, look it up youtube deathbattle.

FFVII was originally planned for the N64. They went pretty far into development for the game on that console. It was a random last decision to switch over to PS1. So I've always anticipated Cloud being in smash bros. It makes sense.

What people should be talking about is that this might really suggest that the remake will be on other consoles.

That may be true, and it may be that N64 console users were anticipating that FFVII would be released on the N64 but then it never was. However that was close to 20 years ago now. FFVII is very much a Playstation era FF game. Cloud is not associated with Nintendo at all.

I'm not complaining at all, and some Nintendo gamers will enjoy this (particularly those who have had owned both Nintendo and Sony consoles). It's just that I thought that Smash Bros was supposed to be a fun mash-up game of various Nintendo properties. I know that what defines a Nintendo property is more flexible now, and not just limited to strict-Nintendo characters such as Mario, Donkey Kong, etc...

Solid Snake I could understand, since back in the days of the original Metal Gear games he was seen on many consoles including Nintendo consoles (and even if his current fame is due to the Playstation era Metal Gear Solid franchise, they did remaster MGS on the Gamecube too).

I get it though. Cloud is a crowd pleaser. FF characters from Nintendo games such as Cecil, Bartz, Terra, and so on, would not have any impact in this day and age. Dissidia has made some of these characters slightly popular again, but really only the Dissidia versions of them.

I guess what I'm saying is that they aren't doing this for nostalgia or for adding a character who makes sense for a Nintendo mash-up. They know that Cloud is arguably the most iconic Final Fantasy character of all time, and that he sells, and that he is still very relevant (with a remake around the corner sometime).

It is interesting that it might hint that FFVII: The Remake may be released on Nintendo as well, if that is what they are getting at.

Anyway. No matter. They've done this thing, and it doesn't harm anyone. Except my head which now hurts because I scratched it too much while reading this news.

The Cloud Vs Link DeathBattle has been solved already. Link won and Cloud lost, look it up youtube deathbattle.
No, fan creations don't solve shit. Cloud's taller, his sword is literally the size of Link. An official death battle in the game is what will solve it.

That may be true, and it may be that N64 console users were anticipating that FFVII would be released on the N64 but then it never was. However that was close to 20 years ago now. FFVII is very much a Playstation era FF game. Cloud is not associated with Nintendo at all.

I'm not complaining at all, and some Nintendo gamers will enjoy this (particularly those who have had owned both Nintendo and Sony consoles). It's just that I thought that Smash Bros was supposed to be a fun mash-up game of various Nintendo properties. I know that what defines a Nintendo property is more flexible now, and not just limited to strict-Nintendo characters such as Mario, Donkey Kong, etc...

Solid Snake I could understand, since back in the days of the original Metal Gear games he was seen on many consoles including Nintendo consoles (and even if his current fame is due to the Playstation era Metal Gear Solid franchise, they did remaster MGS on the Gamecube too).

I get it though. Cloud is a crowd pleaser. FF characters from Nintendo games such as Cecil, Bartz, Terra, and so on, would not have any impact in this day and age. Dissidia has made some of these characters slightly popular again, but really only the Dissidia versions of them.

I guess what I'm saying is that they aren't doing this for nostalgia or for adding a character who makes sense for a Nintendo mash-up. They know that Cloud is arguably the most iconic Final Fantasy character of all time, and that he sells, and that he is still very relevant (with a remake around the corner sometime).

It is interesting that it might hint that FFVII: The Remake may be released on Nintendo as well, if that is what they are getting at.

Anyway. No matter. They've done this thing, and it doesn't harm anyone. Except my head which now hurts because I scratched it too much while reading this news.

I agree.

That said, CLOUD IS KICKING!!!

tumblr_nxqdsfwW0W1qjdex2o1_r1_400.gif

tumblr_nxqdsfwW0W1qjdex2o2_r1_400.gif

source

This was my favorite part;
dieluUM.gif

IM NOT CRAZY!!!
steve-carrell-is-articulate.gif

Last edited:
Where's omnislash? Nintendo fans aren't questioning it for a second. Then again, any game they can get would be a crowd pleased. They can get halo and they would be happy

I just have this as a distant memory, but I think about 8 years ago, there was some speculation about some square enix characters (Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts) that would join SSB Brawl. I'm not sure, but I've always (kinda) hoped that it would happen. :smiff:

Where's omnislash? Nintendo fans aren't questioning it for a second. Then again, any game they can get would be a crowd pleased. They can get halo and they would be happy
If you'd seen the trailer, you would know that we don't question it because there's nothing to question :D
http://i.imgur.com/v2OuRGr.webm

Attachments

• v2OuRGr - Imgur.jpg
    v2OuRGr - Imgur.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 192
i just want to say that this is really bizarre. They could've added in any other character, like warrior of light or so. Especially warrior of light. But Cloud was rarely used. I suppose the only Cloud that can count is KH version

How many people would know who the Warrior of Light is vs Cloud?

Cloud is essentially synonymous with the franchise and is the iconic one for anyone who barely even knows anything about the franchise.

How many people would know who the Warrior of Light is vs Cloud?

Cloud is essentially synonymous with the franchise and is the iconic one for anyone who barely even knows anything about the franchise.
Warrior of Light is actually getting more attention recently. Not many people knew about Ness, Lucas, Captain Falcon, the entire Fire Emblem cast.

The above are from Nintendo properties and they can easily use more obscure characters from their own portfolios. Anyone else would require shelling out money and you honestly think it would be worth giving Square a large sum of money for a character that is essentially only known to more aware and hardcore fans of Final Fantasy?

Warrior of Light is actually getting more attention recently. Not many people knew about Ness, Lucas, Captain Falcon, the entire Fire Emblem cast.

I guess that Warrior of Light is gaining attention only as a generic representative of Final Fantasy heroes. He's not much of a character in his own right (although Dissidia attempted to make him so, even if there's not much that can be developed there). Since the characters of FF1 were essentially all created by the player (in that the player chooses the job class and name, anyway), 'Warrior of Light' as we imagine him exists only in Amano artwork, CGI cinematics from the remastered versions, and from Dissidia. There are arguably no characters in FF1 in a true sense, only the player.

Cloud is more recognisable universally than Warrior of Light. Cloud (with his gravity defying spiky chocobo-hair and ridiculously heavy sword) has come to be a representative not just for the FF series, but for JRPGs in general.

I understand that Cloud is more recognizable, but that doesn't mean that Cloud should represent FF overall and be placed in Super smash. We've had other RPG representatives in Smash.

It just seems like a bad move. They could've gone for maybe Dragon Quest character...Secret of Mana character....Kingfom Hearts characters....idk....anything would've felt right and gotten almost equal hype (but less confusion).

Back