Article: FFXV at PAX 2015: confirmed for 2016; release date to be revealed in March; concept art, etc.

Linnaete

sus
Staff member
Editorial Staff
Veteran
Gil
Andre the Adamantoise
Chocobo Egg
Accessory (Head)
Accessory (Arms)
Build-A-Member
Chocobo Egg
FFXIV
Aoife Linnaete
FFXIV Server
Lamia
Free Company
None
[30/08] FFXV @PAX 2015: confirmed for 2016; release date to be revealed in March; concept art, etc.

ffxv-concept-art_08-2xzytl.jpg

The latest Active Time Report for the elusive Final Fantasy XV has just concluded at PAX Prime 2015. Those with zero expectations for this event can at least walk away somewhat satisfied that Tabata has been able to disclose some new in-progress footage and tidbits of information. It is a lot more than what the Gamescom Active Time Report offered early this month.

The biggest (non?-) news is that after Tabata received a scolding from his bosses back at Tokyo HQ, Square Enix executives have finally given the man the green light to announce the vague news that Final Fantasy XV will indeed be launching sometime in 2016. For those of you who would have preferred an actual release date, you'll have to sit and wait until a special event in March. Yes, they are announcing an announcement. This is Square Enix; they seldom surprise you.

The reason for the March timing, according to Tabata, is that Square Enix have many collaborative efforts that they need to make sure are in place, as well as to ensure the game has reached a level of substantial quality.

K1iBqhh.jpg

D8ulidh.jpg

EvgKNA7.jpg

Footage is shown of what is dubbed the Final Fantasy XV Progress Report Vol 1.

It is basically a series of in-progress footage highlighting a myriad of features at work with an approximate percentage of completion score accompanying each segment. Snippets of footage reveal Cor Leonis, a samurai swordsman enemy monster, and Noctis wielding a gun in what looks like third-person shooter footage. One snippet depicts a sidequest (40% completion) of Noctis stealthily breaking into a Niflheim enemy base, carefully avoiding detection.

ffxv-concept-art_08-28xs6z.jpg

Concept art is shown of Cindy's Hammerhead gas station (an establishment in reality owned by the real Cid of this game), the Regalia car, the Havana-inspired town of Lestallum, Leviathan (who is a female Eidolon), the Venice-inspired Altissia, Lunafreya escaping from a war-torn Lucis, and the gang enjoying a relaxing picnic.

ffxv-concept-art_08-2kjshc.jpg

An unseen concept art is of an outpost known as Caem next to a main road. Caem does appear in the driving footage, but Tabata states that they're unable to show the inside of it for spoiler reasons. The outpost's chief purpose is to allow the party access to a boat to traverse the waters to reach the land of Accordo.

ffxv-concept-art_08-2h4p8y.jpg

Asked if the boats will be rendered in real-time and with seamless travel, Tabata said: “Yes, of course, everything will be rendered in real-time. You’ll get in the boat in real-time, seamlessly. Your travel across the ocean in real-time, as well… But you won’t be journeying on the boat, as well. It’s sort of a one-way trip, in that sense.”

Finally, there is a decent chunk of vehicular footage. The team explains how they made the decision to switch from left-side driving to right-side, which will be standardised across the entire game's world map. Selecting auto mode will set the course for an assigned destination, though the player will still be free to control and stop the car for any sightseeing reasons. Be mindful that your joyride escapades will rely on the amount of petrol you have in the tank. In the event that the Regalia is running on empty, Tabata jokingly stated that you'll have to get out and push.

Finally, a video message from Avalanche's founder and CCO Christofer Sundberg confirmed that talks between Square-Enix Japan and Avalanche Studios (famed for the Just Cause games as well as Mad Max) are underway in regards to utilising some of the latter's technology for FFXV, but these talks are still early and they have nothing more to say. A whole load of nothing, essentially.

The next ATR session will be at Tokyo Game Show next month. This time, the characters King Regis and Lunafreya Nox Fleuret will be in the spotlight, so stay tuned if you're in any way interested in those side characters.

Images from Gematsu

Last edited:
The concept artwork of Lunafreya just further suggests they had absolutely no reason to throw away the stella design. Tabata is excusing his designs and changes to make it seem like his changes are for the best. Which i suppose i can't blame too much, he saw the concept of FFXV (which lasted for how long? The majority of its so-called development?)

http://www.finalfantasy.net/xv/spie...-tabata-final-fantasy-xv-gamescom/#more-22649

^^^heres some news from before...as you can see, the changes are no longer "necessary" they are "optional". I'm also feeling like FFXV is less like a numbered game.

Sorry for the delay. Article updated with ATR footage.

Also, if you stalk the OFFICIAL FFXV Twitter page, it states that next month's TGS will feature an extended version of the Dawn trailer. I personally look forward to many more minutes of paternal love and hugging.

Additionally, here is a sneak peak of Luna's full dress...which looks startlingly similar to Stella's old dress.

EDIT: New Twitter update says this is only an EARLY concept art for Luna. The actual TGS one will be different.

CNnAZ1BUEAAFLk-.jpg

stella-from-final-fan79qzj.jpg

Last edited:
These images are actually making me excited for the game. Looks like there's quite a bit going on other than the running around bland environments that the demo showed. I reckon they gave us a turdy environment to make everything from now on look all the better. Honestly, other than perhaps the battle system, I think it's gonna be a pretty fantastic game *crosses fingers*.

At this point I'm going to try to reserve judgment for the final game. Right now it just seems like such a mixed bag, BUT that may well be due to us only getting info on unfinished parts of the game. At least there's reasons to believe it could turn out really great. Whether or not it will is anyone's guess until it's done and shipped.

It just bothers me how certain changes are claimed to he necessary when it's proven not to

Just a word from a long time FF fan.......

I know a lot of people feel this game is going in lots of different directions and that it may be a bad thing that it does not feel like a real final fantasy game. Why does it matter if change is strong in the title? I mean sure, FF XIII changed things and people hated it for being a brain dead button simulator, but can't you guys see all the work Square Enix are putting into the game at this very moment? They keep telling us to wait more because the game is only 70% complete right now, but really, every time they show something it just gets better and better. Look at the new gameplay driving sequences for example. The world is full of life, and that there are many conflicts that need to be resolved. I am willing to bet that FF XV will be a great title with good story, characters, locations, etc. I mean, they modeled Altissia after Venice, so that right there is a step in the right direction for me. Now that we finally have a day that they will announce the release date in March, it still tells a lot about the development progress going slow. I fear that we will not be seeing Final Fantasy XV until at least the end of 2016/1st quarter of 2017. The most intriguing thing out of this info for me is that they reiterated that Luna would not be a crap character. I am looking forward to her character; please do not let me down, Square Enix.

As for the obvious Stella similarities, we already know Luna IS Stella redesigned with a different story. I read that Stella Nox Fleuret, was in fact, believe it or not, a crap damsel in distress character type. As much as I loved Stella's outfit, looks, etc., I am willing to believe Luna is BETTER.

M rating? Hmm, I have been thinking about this question. It looks really damn dark, Noctis can wield an actual handgun and not some gunblade fantasy thing, there are guns in the game in key parts of the story, and the story will be tragic, but friendly through Noctis's friends. I rather feel that maybe this whole event in March will explain this. I am not saying it WILL be rated M, but it probably has a chance after type-0. I cannot wait for the stuff at TGS!

PS: I am SO GLAD they didn't scrap Leviathan. That fight in old trailers LOOKED AMAZING.

Just a word from a long time FF fan.......

I know a lot of people feel this game is going in lots of different directions and that it may be a bad thing that it does not feel like a real final fantasy game. Why does it matter if change is strong in the title? I mean sure, FF XIII changed things and people hated it for being a brain dead button simulator, but can't you guys see all the work Square Enix are putting into the game at this very moment? They keep telling us to wait more because the game is only 70% complete right now, but really, every time they show something it just gets better and better.

Square Enix has indeed put work onto it, and it definitely shows. However.....the changes made from what we've seen was completely different. But itsjust not something we expect out of an FF main game.
Look at the new gameplay driving sequences for example. The world is full of life, and that there are many conflicts that need to be resolved. I am willing to bet that FF XV will be a great title with good story, characters, locations, etc. I mean, they modeled Altissia after Venice, so that right there is a step in the right direction for me. Now that we finally have a day that they will announce the release date in March, it still tells a lot about the development progress going slow. I fear that we will not be seeing Final Fantasy XV until at least the end of 2016/1st quarter of 2017. The most intriguing thing out of this info for me is that they reiterated that Luna would not be a crap character. I am looking forward to her character; please do not let me down, Square Enix.

The gameplay diving sequences is exactly what i'm still worried about. Its just another form of auto-travel. And it was completely different in FF8 due to system limitations. What has been confirmed was that Episode Duscae isn't what the vast majority of the world will be like.
As for the obvious Stella similarities, we already know Luna IS Stella redesigned with a different story. I read that Stella Nox Fleuret, was in fact, believe it or not, a crap damsel in distress character type. As much as I loved Stella's outfit, looks, etc., I am willing to believe Luna is BETTER.
Look into more of what Stella Nox Flueret REALLY was. A lot of what was told was to instigate Noctis. Regardless, story changes is fine, but i just dont buy for a second that we needed to scrap the original design and name. Especially when his father was redesigned not out of necesity but out of choice.

So for me, i'm more pissed off that the choices made weren't so necessary. At the same time, this game is still being designed like a spin off (FF13). Just with the budget of a main game.

Square Enix has indeed put work onto it, and it definitely shows. However.....the changes made from what we've seen was completely different. But itsjust not something we expect out of an FF main game.

The gameplay diving sequences is exactly what i'm still worried about. Its just another form of auto-travel. And it was completely different in FF8 due to system limitations. What has been confirmed was that Episode Duscae isn't what the vast majority of the world will be like.

Look into more of what Stella Nox Flueret REALLY was. A lot of what was told was to instigate Noctis. Regardless, story changes is fine, but i just dont buy for a second that we needed to scrap the original design and name. Especially when his father was redesigned not out of necesity but out of choice.

So for me, i'm more pissed off that the choices made weren't so necessary. At the same time, this game is still being designed like a spin off (FF13). Just with the budget of a main game.

Let us look at the big picture here, razzberry. Things changed because the game is not Versus XIII anymore and you need to accept that. Versus was a completely different story involving saving a heroine and now the story is much better. Tabata said it himself that it will explore much more themes. Have you ever thought that perhaps these character changes and gameplay changes are for the better? We are in 2015, and while driving looks out of place in a FF game, it is there and you are going to have to deal with it. In fact, you are going to have to deal with the realism FF XV is trying to portray. It was always trying to be something FF is not, even in versus.

2) Auto travel? You are allowed to drive manually if you so please. Episode Duscae is not the only place with highways. The car will be something we keep on going back too. Square Enix did not decide to put a random car in the game and say here, drive it! The car is important in story.

3) Square Enix confirmed Stella needed saving, despite the way she looks. They understood fans were very disappointed, but yes, it is blatantly obvious that Luna is STELLA. She is the exact same Stella we know albeit with a different direction in character and her tone is extremely different. Trust me, I was VERY pissed off when I found out about the change, but now with all this new info on Stella, why not just embrace it? You will see Luna at TGS, they confirmed it, and therefore it is unfair to judge Luna based on what we have seen. Luna will not disappoint, in fact, I am willing to bet Luna will be the new Stella people will talk about, just an even stronger Stella.

Let us look at the big picture here, razzberry. Things changed because the game is not Versus XIII anymore and you need to accept that. Versus was a completely different story involving saving a heroine and now the story is much better. Tabata said it himself that it will explore much more themes. Have you ever thought that perhaps these character changes and gameplay changes are for the better? We are in 2015, and while driving looks out of place in a FF game, it is there and you are going to have to deal with it. In fact, you are going to have to deal with the realism FF XV is trying to portray. It was always trying to be something FF is not, even in versus.

Your big picture is actually just concentrate on what you want to concentrate on. You say its better because thats the only thing you can say...prove it....HONESTLY, just having more themes doesn't mean it makes it better. There's the worry of being "unrefined". This was said to be darker game. And now i dont even know what to believe anymore.

Here is the REALITY of what is Final Fantasy XV, this game originally was trying to be its own thing, it wasn't trying to be a numbered FF. It was even said that it was exploring certain themes that weren't normal in an FF game. It has been in a HUGE development hell, but everything we've seen was concrete. IN fact they have been so worried about showing us anything at all for the past 8 years, they would make sure what we knew were those scenes. Only to scrap it entirely?

Final Fantasy Versus XIII had to turn into XV not because the design was off of a numbered game, but because they had absolutely no choice anymore. FFXV is named FFXV because there is little projects going on that they can actually invest in that are original and taking up the budget. It HAS TO BE ADVERTISED AS A MAIN GAME.

But what kind of numbered-FF game is it if we only control one character, we only get a limited amount of magic with very few magic? It looks amazing, gameplay i dont doubt it wouldn't be fun, but its more to me than that.

2) Auto travel? You are allowed to drive manually if you so please. Episode Duscae is not the only place with highways. The car will be something we keep on going back too. Square Enix did not decide to put a random car in the game and say here, drive it! The car is important in story.

You never actually listen when it comes to this. Why would i want to even control driving or allow an AI to do it in the first place? I've mentioned COUNTLESS times how the concept of DRIVING highways has been an issue. Its more than fast travel, its the fact that the vast large of land from point A to point B is an issue. We've only seen so far large highways, some sight seeing, a few monsters on the side.

Episode: Duscae isn't a demo to show us what the game will be like, its to appease fans that were worried about what i was. They made a section of the game that has large exploration and optional caves if you choose to go off path. but never officially confirmed if that would be the case. I get it, driving is important, i want ot know how much we get out of "NOT" driving? I might've not cared if this wasn't a numbered game. but now there's expectations.
3) Square Enix confirmed Stella needed saving, despite the way she looks. They understood fans were very disappointed, but yes, it is blatantly obvious that Luna is STELLA. She is the exact same Stella we know albeit with a different direction in character and her tone is extremely different. Trust me, I was VERY pissed off when I found out about the change, but now with all this new info on Stella, why not just embrace it? You will see Luna at TGS, they confirmed it, and therefore it is unfair to judge Luna based on what we have seen. Luna will not disappoint, in fact, I am willing to bet Luna will be the new Stella people will talk about, just an even stronger Stella.
I'm going to say this....i dont trust you at all about how "pissed off" you were. you have been like FFXV's personal promoter from the start.

You have no choice but to say that Luna is a stronger character than Stella, but honestly, whats the difference in the first place if SE just wants to confirm that she is the same?

Back