Two big questions about FFX

Shaissa

Dark Knight
Veteran
Gil
Mog's Tent
I don't know why in my 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000 playthroughs of this game I never thought of these two things but,

It seems like Sin is always in the sea, so wouldn't it make sense to build cities/towns more inland away from the sea? I mean I get that people would have to travel on ship (since most of Spira in FFX believe that Machina is bad) but wouldn't this stop so much deaths by sin?

Also in FFX-2 even if Sin is gone, wouldn't summoners still need to perform sendings to send the dead to the farplane? They had summoners before Sin, so wouldn't they be needed after Sin?

I don't know why in my 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000 playthroughs of this game I never thought of these two things but,

It seems like Sin is always in the sea, so wouldn't it make sense to build cities/towns more inland away from the sea? I mean I get that people would have to travel on ship (since most of Spira in FFX believe that Machina is bad) but wouldn't this stop so much deaths by sin?

Also in FFX-2 even if Sin is gone, wouldn't summoners still need to perform sendings to send the dead to the farplane? They had summoners before Sin, so wouldn't they be needed after Sin?

Have you forgotten the fact that the Sin that Tidus gets transported to the future in is floating in the air? Not to mention one of the boss battles against Sin towards the end is also in the air. Sin definitely has some sort of flight capabilities.

In regards to sending; I don't think it's quite as necessary because alot of the deaths were of natural causes because theres no Sin going around murdering people. They only needed to be 'sent' because they were murdered if I recall correctly. Their hatred for sin or whatever is what made them become monsters in the first place; I think that's what Lulu said anyway..

Lulu's explanation isn't very precise. She simply exposits that the dead need guidance to pass on, else they can eventually grow to envy and despise the living. Thus, I take it from this that there will always be a need for someone to shepherd souls to the Farplane. Also, the awful post-X-2 material, particularly the audio drama, has a character called Kurgum whose profession is that of a "sender".

Sin is essentially a kaiju of sorts which is modeled on a giant whale, but it does (as iSmiff states) experiment with flight from time to time. However, I guess this is a secondary form of Sin which it doesn't use often as it spends too much energy. Sin tended to go aerial when it was getting frustrated and more desperate, noticing that its confrontation with the Final Aeon (or not, in Yuna's case) was approaching. Perhaps its flight was a last burst of energy, but it mainly spends its time in the sea.

Considering it as mainly an aquatic monster there are some things to consider about the world of Spira which can somewhat justify the Spiran preference for coastal living (ignoring for a moment simply the intended aesthetic look of Spira to resemble a hybrid of life on the Ganges Delta and Hawaii).

Spira is a lot like this:
spira.jpg

It is essentially a large(ish) island with a tail of smaller islands curling back up on itself. However, if you look at the map more closely much of the main landmass is mountainous. Spirans (I use this term, I guess, to refer to the humans here) mainly situate themselves on the coast because they are squashed there with few other options.

Maybe some could survive in the mountains, but it would be a challenge, and it seems that the Ronso have set themselves up comfortably there (taking Mt. Gagazet as only an example, and assuming that there are other tribes of Ronso in Spira). With this considered, alongside the previous devastation caused by Sin, perhaps there isn't much land left which is suitable for farming. Perhaps, then, they have turned mainly to fishing to sustain themselves, and perhaps it's more economically viable. There will always be fish in the sea (pray that you don't catch Sin!), but there may not always be land available to grow crops without the risk of Sin's destruction ruining the soil.

The heartland of Spira seems to be controlled by the Guado, and there was a history of conflict there (if I recall correctly, hence the implied significance of what the relationship of Seymour's parents meant for the future peace of both species). It's also, I guess, the sacred heartland of Spira, and contains the Farplane. Not a good place for human civilisation.

Also, when we look at the other main large open spaces on the mainland of Spira, some hurdles are immediately obstructive. The largest open spaces are Thunder Plains and the Calm Lands.

Thunder Plains should be written off straight away. Nobody wants to set up civilisation in a land where you'll be electrocuted by lightning every 5 seconds. It's also raining far too much to really do anything with the land.

The Calm Lands might be more possible, but there is a history there. It is a battlefield which has become a sort of memorial to the destruction that Sin brings, and its cycle of defeat and rebirth. It is the location of an old battle with Sin and its very landscape became scarred, and I believe it is stated or implied somewhere in the game that people are keeping it like this and renamed it the Calm Lands so that they could remember what Sin and the Summoner Pilgrimages are all about. Also, as a battlefield, its very identity may imply to Spirans that this land isn't safe from destruction.

It seems that the coast is the only place the Spiran humans could go, and it was also part of their way of life and culture. Their favourite sport, Blitzball, was an aquatic sport. Among their domesticated animals include the Shoopuf, an amphibious elephantine creature.

Water is very important to Spira, but with Sin about they're going to need a bigger boat.

-

I'm not sure about the second question, but Livi's Kurgum may be the way forward. :argor:

Going off of Dionysos's post of the map and points made, I have to agree that the geography of Spira makes it very hard for the cities to be erected inland, mainly because there's not much "inland" available. It almost seems like Spira would be comparable to something like our Japan, or United Kingdom. While they are both fairly large areas of land, they are long, and basically islands.

In the map image of Spira you see that the innermost areas are the Calm Lands and Thunder Plains. And of course we know the Calm Lands was the site of a great battle against Sin, so its reaches go deeper than the Spira inhabitants would hope.

Hmmmm also inclined to believe that it could also be due to the personality of the "Sin"
the sin from the game in FFX was originally Jecht, so Jecht being a blitzball player loved the water? or was more natually inclined to be in water than anything else, potentially why he was in the sea so much. from what we see in game, Sin has flight capabilities, under water capabilities, land capabilities, it may just be preference to which medium he is in? OR it could be that Jecht was still relatively in control at the time and was attempting to avoid the populace so he didn't kill people and isolated himself out to sea? theories within theories

with the sending, yeah there are senders in the post audio novels. Also keep in mind that Yuna is still a "high summoner" in X-2. Also summoners existed before Sin, just i don't believe there were aeons at the time? they were more mages? maybe? not sure once again theories. Lenne was also a summoner.

Back